The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My 64 C-10 fleetside shortbed build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=439559)

McMurphy 01-05-2012 07:21 PM

Re: My 64 C-10 fleetside shortbed build

{{{{{{{{ TOO MUCH CAFFINE ?!?!?! }}}}}}}}
===================================

LoL sorry fuzzy pics....
I cannot comment on the metal working so I have to knock your photos....
I know I should be ashamed of myself ;)

allaboutchevelles 01-05-2012 07:40 PM

LOL sorry about fuzzy pics. Hard to hold the cab corner with one hand and take pic with the other. My phone has to be perfectly still to get a good pic. Its like the cab corner replacement peice is oversized at the top. guess ill hack it up and make it fit like I had to do all the other replacement peices.

AZ66GMC 01-05-2012 09:12 PM

Looks like someone is about to have some fun :metal::metal:

allaboutchevelles 01-05-2012 11:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
well I went down to the shop and did some panel massaging. I kept pushing and pressing on the back of the cab corner panel and used some butt connecters to pull it into place. I think the panel was made ok but just got distorted out of shape some how. It seems to fit ok now. Im not happy with the door gap at the top of where the panel will meet up but it was not right even with the old cab corner on there. Its to wide. I know the truck must have got hit in that spot because of a previous repair I found and the inner support was bent some. Even if I have to weld a bead on the edge of the door gap and grind it into shape, I will make it right and nobody will ever be able to tell.

Strodder 01-05-2012 11:42 PM

Good job. Glad you fixed it. :metal:

McMurphy 01-06-2012 09:57 PM

I remember asking Alan on his thread what "massaging" was... and my mind set was "to hell with that, I am no way skilled enough to do stuff like that" now I am like ..... yanno .... whatever.... LOL

Cant tell from these pics that you ever had a concern with them !! Good job

allaboutchevelles 01-06-2012 10:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
got the cab corner welded on tonight. still got to go back and tack up some pin holes and finish grinding down the welds and also weld the inside at the door jam. It think it turned out ok.

McMurphy 01-06-2012 11:51 PM

Looks cleaner than mine man !! Good job :cong:

Alan's Classic 01-07-2012 12:37 AM

looks like you did a nice job!! :metal:

c.brown 01-08-2012 11:44 AM

nice work on the patch panels looking good!

niterider65 01-08-2012 08:04 PM

lookin good . good gap too . :metal:

allaboutchevelles 01-13-2012 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Back to working 6 and 7 days a week so not much time to work on the truck. Almost done with the cab corner. This side must have got hit at one point, lots of dents and bad patch of rust that I sandblasted a while back but has pits in the metal. Almost ready for some filler, few more dents to pull out. I took a break on the truck and modified my sandblast cabinet again. I made the arm holes bigger so my arms are not being squeezed as much.

flips72 01-13-2012 02:46 PM

cab corner looks great, i should have brought my cab to you and let you do my patch panels, love the blasting cabinet by the way, american ingenuity or however you spell that word) at its finest.

allaboutchevelles 01-14-2012 11:23 PM

I finish the back of the cab corner tonight where the cab corner didnt reach far enough over where it was rusted out. I forgot to snap a finished pic but Im done with the metal work on the cab now. Its on to the bodywork now.

Dinos63 01-15-2012 11:52 AM

nice work!

McMurphy 01-23-2012 04:55 PM

Hey Chevelles, a while back in my thread you asked about closing up the door gaps.
I just ran across the page in Alan's build where they talked about using the welding rods.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=248460&page=5

jwart and jonzcustomshop are the specific comments that originated my comments.
I had to echo jwarts idea, because jonz was too far out of my scope of skills !!

LOL

How is it coming by the way ??

allaboutchevelles 01-23-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks McMurpy, thats was what I was looking for. I didnt know alan had to do the filler rod thing. I actually took my pass side drip rail off the other night. I have to cab on its back so I could weld the bottom of the cab corner to the inner support. So I havent been able to put my door on to check my door gap where I removed the drip rail. Im back working 6 and 7 days a week so not much time spent on the truck. Im kinda waiting for the weather to cooperate with me. Im ready to finish paint the bottom of the cab and prime the roof again. Only place I have to paint is outside and it seems to either rain or be in the 30s or 40s when I have the time to do something.

flips72 01-23-2012 09:38 PM

good to see ya back, sorry to here about the six and seven days but think of all that toy money:lol: cant wait to see the door mounted, hopefully your gaps will be perfect.

McMurphy 01-24-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5141585)
Thanks McMurpy, thats was what I was looking for. I didnt know alan had to do the filler rod thing. I actually took my pass side drip rail off the other night. I have to cab on its back so I could weld the bottom of the cab corner to the inner support. So I havent been able to put my door on to check my door gap where I removed the drip rail. Im back working 6 and 7 days a week so not much time spent on the truck. Im kinda waiting for the weather to cooperate with me. Im ready to finish paint the bottom of the cab and prime the roof again. Only place I have to paint is outside and it seems to either rain or be in the 30s or 40s when I have the time to do something.

If you go to that page I linked, near the bottom you will see what Alan did.
He took jonz suggestion and made a cut between the wing window and the door frame and pushed out the edge of the door then filled in the cut he had made.
I posted to you before I had gone much further in the thread.
Sorry but I found it as I was looking for something else Alan did for Flips72 thread about thinning Slick Sand actually LOL....

AZ66GMC 01-24-2012 12:07 AM

Nice patch job :metal:

Keep the pics coming ;)

Posted via Mobile Device

allaboutchevelles 01-24-2012 11:20 PM

Thanks McMurphy. I started stripping the inside of the roof tonight. What fun that is<LOL. I also went by carquest today while in town and picked up some slick sand. 29.99 a quart with harder. What did yall guys find out about thinning this stuff down. I have a 1.7 tip on one of my guns, hope thats enough.

Alan's Classic 01-25-2012 12:04 AM

I didn't use filler ord on the door gap at the A post. I split the door skin and slid it out per jonzcustoms advice. I like how that worked.

I did thin down the slick sand by 10%. I don't recall that in the instructions on the can. A paint guy told me that. I don't see where it will hurt, the reducer evaporates leaving the product behind. A 1.7 tip will try your patience. Give it a try and see.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1219201162

allaboutchevelles 01-27-2012 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got home from work today and the weather was so nice at 68 degrees so I pushed the truck out. I finished stripping the paint on the inside of the roof. I had to get some more sandpaper so I snapped a pic while taking a quick break. I didnt get one after I finished stripping it, I was in a hurry to beat the daylight and get some etching primer on it. Does anyone know what size tips are normally in the old type siphon paint guns. I have one of them but I couldnt find a tip size on it.

flips72 01-28-2012 03:04 AM

cabs looking great, not sure about the tip size, wont be long you will be spraying some paint.

McMurphy 01-28-2012 04:06 PM

Dude,
if it was 68 degress outside, I would be out welding in shorts and flip flops !!