The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   NAPCO Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=320260)

c Terris 10-16-2016 08:38 PM

Re: NAPCO Thread

Hey. Looking to do a 4x4 conversion on a 59 gmc. I was thinking about using straight axles from a small body blazer from around 2000. Only reason im posting here is I couldnt find what I was looking for. Is there a better option for axle choice as far as installation and what will I be in for as far as, hanging steering components, adding a transfer case to a muncie 4spd and such. I would like to use a dana 60 front and rear, but they all look to be full size truck axles and I need a 60". Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

JPBrecheisen 10-19-2016 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 57

bajabob 10-20-2016 12:30 AM

c Terris
I would ask what is your plan for the truck?? The Napco stuff is well built but old technology and can be a PIA to find parts for if you start tearing stuff up. If you want to build an ol skool 4x4 and maybe do some light 4x4 stuff then rock on. If you plan to do some serious boggin or trail running, find some late model running gear and run that. You will most likely have to fab some stuff up but there are lots of guys who have done it and it should be easy to find what your looking for.
bb

JPBrecheisen 10-20-2016 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajabob (Post 7747153)
c Terris
I would ask what is your plan for the truck?? The Napco stuff is well built but old technology and can be a PIA to find parts for if you start tearing stuff up. If you want to build an ol skool 4x4 and maybe do some light 4x4 stuff then rock on. If you plan to do some serious boggin or trail running, find some late model running gear and run that. You will most likely have to fab some stuff up but there are lots of guys who have done it and it should be easy to find what your looking for.
bb

Keep serviceable and drive. Tracking the parts difficulties, especially for '57 regarding Studebaker brakes on front axle. Vintage power wagons used a lot of same parts so they're a decent source for knuckle bushings, seals, etc.

I like old trucks as they were. No Mudd truck futures for any of my projects

HO455 10-24-2016 01:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple 3 Napcos for sale on C/L
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/5826120981.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5797418588.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5841277618.html

c Terris 10-24-2016 10:05 PM

Hey,
Really just want to drive it on the street with that tall look. Don't want to just throw a lift kit on the 2wd setup. I'de like to go on some moderate trails (no body bashing trails). The problem im having is figuring which axles to use. The 59 is the sam width as a small body blazer which is 60". I would love to use a dana 60 rear and dana 44 front but they are to wide. Is there a simple way to shorten those axles or if I use a axle that is already 60" how do I know the leaf spring will line up on the axle. I've been told if they don't alighn where originally specified the weight of the car could crush the housing of the axle. Obviously people have done this conversion, just need some help.
Posted via Mobile Device

c Terris 10-24-2016 10:08 PM

From there I will need a transfer case different length drive shaft and rearrange the steering mech. Can anyone reccomend a could transfer case and a good way or place to get the right size drive shaft. If anyone wants to lend some knowledge with that it will be much appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device

'63GENIII 10-25-2016 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c Terris (Post 7751417)
Hey,
Really just want to drive it on the street with that tall look. Don't want to just throw a lift kit on the 2wd setup. I'de like to go on some moderate trails (no body bashing trails). The problem im having is figuring which axles to use. The 59 is the sam width as a small body blazer which is 60". I would love to use a dana 60 rear and dana 44 front but they are to wide. Is there a simple way to shorten those axles or if I use a axle that is already 60" how do I know the leaf spring will line up on the axle. I've been told if they don't alighn where originally specified the weight of the car could crush the housing of the axle. Obviously people have done this conversion, just need some help.
Posted via Mobile Device

When I broke the kingpin off of the front axle on my 3/4 ton '57, I found that a 1985 corporate 10 bolt (3/4 ton) went right in. Short of having to redo the driveshaft, it was a bolt in deal. IIRC, the original axles were HO72s?

HO455 10-25-2016 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c Terris (Post 7751417)
Hey,
Posted via Mobile Device

I have gone with the Napco look on a 52 ford I have. I also wanted to use a Dana 44 & 60. The rear was easy I got one from a mid sixties F250. And only had to bolt it in. The front had to be narrowed to get the wheels inside the wells like I wanted. The guys who did the axle were able to mix and match parts to get it narrowed enough. So I didn't have to have custom axles made. In addition they were able to get disc brakes to fit too. Although I wasn't planning on having disc's they will be nice over the long run. One observation I will offer up is that it is a lot more work to do the 44, not even counting the narrowing. The 44 is so much beefier that it makes it hard to fit shocks and drag links in. (I have the pumpkin on the drivers side). Going with the early Bronco axle gives you lots more room to work in. And it sounds like you may not need to have the heavier axles to do what you want. I am using a SM 420 gear box with a divorced 204 transfer case. These two are the shortest units and as I'm putting it all under a short wheel base I wanted as much room as possible. But I should stop now before this becomes a build thread. If you want some more info on the project I have that will be nothing like yours PM me.

bajabob 10-25-2016 11:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
c Terris
I might find some new corporate axles and use them rather than the older stuff and fab in the x-fer case you want. Maybe throw in some power steering and better final gear ratio ??? I wouldn't mind having better brakes on my old stuff but the new brake booster helpful in getting her hauled in...

ps
I still like the old stuff, she is tall....;););)

HO455 10-28-2016 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gorgeous Carryall!
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/5848163121.html

doo142 10-29-2016 08:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My entry

c Terris 10-29-2016 07:10 PM

Thanks guys, HO thats exactly what I was looking for. Truck is deffinately getting lifted. Weather or not there will be 4wd put in is still up for discussion. You said the rear bolted in do you happen to know if the axle was 60 "?
Posted via Mobile Device

c Terris 10-29-2016 07:38 PM

Two more questions ho455. Did you have to do any frame cutting or body chopping and also did you mean a divorced 205. The 204 didnt come up on the internet. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

c Terris 10-29-2016 08:15 PM

Also if anyone has any ideas for wiring harnesses I have another thread going.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7755549

HO455 10-29-2016 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by c Terris (Post 7755575)
Two more questions ho455. Did you have to do any frame cutting or body chopping and also did you mean a divorced 205. The 204 didnt come up on the internet. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes you are correct it is a 205. No frames or bodies have been cut, chopped or spindled. The whole goal started out to stay as 1950 as possible. I have used the stock (F-1 1/2 ton) springs and hangers but if I can locate a set of rebuildable F-2 or 3 rear spring hangers I would swap some 3/4 ton springs in the rear. The disks were added after I thought about how often I pull a trailer. Crappy photo of the dana 60 rear as installed.

HO455 10-30-2016 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c Terris (Post 7755568)
Thanks guys, HO thats exactly what I was looking for. Truck is deffinately getting lifted. Weather or not there will be 4wd put in is still up for discussion. You said the rear bolted in do you happen to know if the axle was 60 "?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dhoo! I just realized you asked if it was 60 inches not if it was a Dana 60. From where to where do you want it measured from?

c Terris 10-30-2016 10:45 AM

Between drum or disc and brake flange to the otherside. So from o.d. Of brake flange. I originally did say dana 60 it just happens I need a 60" axle too
Posted via Mobile Device

RANDY COX 10-30-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7755103)

OMG I'm in love this thing is absolutely gorgeous Wowza....

c Terris 10-30-2016 10:42 PM

Ho455. I didn't even realize you posted that carryall is that your or did you just find it on craigslist.
Posted via Mobile Device

HO455 10-31-2016 05:26 PM

Not mine. If it was it sure wouldn't be up for sale. Passed on a GMC back in 87 before they became valuable and I have been experiencing non-buyers remorse ever since, so now I just look at stuff I can't afford.

c Terris 10-31-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7757277)
Not mine. If it was it sure wouldn't be up for sale. Passed on a GMC back in 87 before they became valuable and I have been experiencing non-buyers remorse ever since, so now I just look at stuff I can't afford.

Gotcha, i read the description and it says his friend put the napco kit in it ( its not original). I think I might ask him who his friend is. Bet it costs a pretty penny.
Posted via Mobile Device

c Terris 10-31-2016 06:00 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

c Terris 10-31-2016 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I tried uploading these pictures before, but it didn't seem to work. So I wouldn't be surprised if you see it up here multiple times. The 59 of course sporting primer gray and Rhino line black it has a 350 out of a 70's caprice and a 4spd. Then my 69 Gmc 2500 original paint 396 with a th350 36,000 original miles. Then in the background my dads car( he's the original owner of that one) Different engine now , but originally 396 with a 4 spd, now its something bigger made by Shafiroff Racing.

special-K 11-01-2016 06:39 AM

Have you considered Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee Chief/J10/Commando axles? They are narrower and later stuff is 6-lug