The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Shrunken66Stroker's build thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=333241)

Joemomma1 08-20-2009 12:04 AM

Re: Shrunken66Stroker's build thread.

Thats a blazer tank. What type of steelies are those?

shrunken66stroker 08-20-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 3474327)
Thats a blazer tank. What type of steelies are those?

I thought so but is there a thread somewhere that you know of that deals with the modifications to jam it up in the frame rails that are 19" wide?
The rims aren't steelies. They're 17" cragar 397s.

Frizzle Fry 08-20-2009 12:31 AM

This might help.

SCOTI 08-20-2009 12:33 AM

Check out Rokcrln's threads. He did a late-model blazer tank install on his LowBuk build IIRC.

Joemomma1 08-20-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3474355)
I thought so but is there a thread somewhere that you know of that deals with the modifications to jam it up in the frame rails that are 19" wide?
The rims aren't steelies. They're 17" cragar 397s.

Well, I am putting the same tank in my 66 swb truck. You need to remove the last crossmember in order to make it fit. I am not happy w/ the idea of less support back there so Im going to weld a piece of steel right behind the tank going to both frame rails. Cragar 397s huh? Love em. Might have to invest in those. 17s look perfect, get those 20s outta here!

shrunken66stroker 08-20-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 3474377)
Well, I am putting the same tank in my 66 swb truck. You need to remove the last crossmember in order to make it fit. I am not happy w/ the idea of less support back there so Im going to weld a piece of steel right behind the tank going to both frame rails. Cragar 397s huh? Love em. Might have to invest in those. 17s look perfect, get those 20s outta here!

Wow, I have to take out the last cross member? I didn't know that. I thought I only had to take out the little one that's 18" from the end. Like you I'll have to weld or bolt in some kind of support. Make sure you post it when you do it so I can get a good look at it. I'll do the same if I get around to it.
Check back on page 8. There's a pic of my truck aired out. I think the proportions are nice with 17's.

shrunken66stroker 08-20-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 3474366)

Thanks Frizzle. I've seen that before, I think. I guess I just never realized I have to take out the furthest rear cross member. I'll make it work. Where's a good place to get replacement sending unit? How many gallons is it?

Joemomma1 08-20-2009 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3474391)
Wow, I have to take out the last cross member? I didn't know that. I thought I only had to take out the little one that's 18" from the end. Like you I'll have to weld or bolt in some kind of support. Make sure you post it when you do it so I can get a good look at it. I'll do the same if I get around to it.
Check back on page 8. There's a pic of my truck aired out. I think the proportions are nice with 17's.

Im still sorta working it out, what type of straps and how low. I also didnt want to have to remove the bed in order to remove the tank. I spot welded some nuts on the inside of the rails. You will not be able to get you hands in there once its installed. I can now just remove the bolts and drop it. I will post up some pics. Your also gonna have to notch one of the cross supports on your bed as well, how much depends on how low you hang it.

shrunken66stroker 08-20-2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 3474403)
Im still sorta working it out, what type of straps and how low. I also didnt want to have to remove the bed in order to remove the tank. I spot welded some nuts on the inside of the rails. You will not be able to get you hands in there once its installed. I can now just remove the screws and drop it. I will post up some pics. Your also gonna have to notch one of the cross supports on your bed as well, how much depends on how low you hang it.

I'm raising my bed floor up a few inches and I want that SOB tucked up tight. I'm also having the roll pan/rear bumper debate with myself at the moment. I have a roll pan already that's been sitting in my garage for about 8 months. I still can't decide if I'm going to use it but if I do, I want the gas tank to tuck up behind it completely. I need to get straps to hold it up too. Any suggestions?

Joemomma1 08-20-2009 01:09 AM

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0684.jpg

Thats where it stands now. I ran across some diamond plate straps and put those on. Im not sure I want to use aluminum instead of harder steel. The skid plate is a whole differnent animal I have yet to confront.

Joemomma1 08-20-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3474416)
I'm raising my bed floor up a few inches and I want that SOB tucked up tight. I'm also having the roll pan/rear bumper debate with myself at the moment. I have a roll pan already that's been sitting in my garage for about 8 months. I still can't decide if I'm going to use it but if I do, I want the gas tank to tuck up behind it completely. I need to get straps to hold it up too. Any suggestions?

I put the bed on to see where I needed to cut. THAT BABY HANGS LOW! I think the bumper will cover majority of it but Im sure some if it will be seen. You can also run it in between the rails instead of below like I did to push it higher.

Joemomma1 08-20-2009 01:18 AM

Thats the only pic I have right now, I will post up more tomorrow. Side and ground clearance.

daverod 08-20-2009 07:53 AM

The first tank I tried looked like the one you have. It's to big on the top half. They make another one thats smaller on top it's about 1" wider so you have to trim thing alittle but height wise it fits a lot better. The one I used came from a 80's van.Your right you won't use that roll pan you can just send it to me I can use it on my 64 it has a big old farmers bumper on it.

daverod 08-20-2009 07:55 AM

I see you still have your drip edge. Thats good.

shrunken66stroker 08-20-2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3474602)
I see you still have your drip edge. Thats good.

The roll pan will go on at some point but I don't want it to be completely smooth back there so I'll probably leave the seams....maybe. I'm not committal on the drip rail. I'm with you, I'll wait to see how the rail on Dennis' truck comes out first.b The tank will end up working after I raise my bed floor a few inches.

Dinos63 08-20-2009 10:55 AM

DUUDE THATS ALOT OF BARE METAL:metal:

shrunken66stroker 08-20-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 3474856)
DUUDE THATS ALOT OF BARE METAL:metal:

It makes me a little nervous. It will all be primer soon... hopefully soon.

Frizzle Fry 08-20-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3474399)
Where's a good place to get replacement sending unit? How many gallons is it?

IIRC They are 21 Gal. I was going for low buck on that one and didn't want to spend $100 on a new Blazer sending-unit (4x what I paid for the tank). So I welded in the flange from the truck tank and bent the truck sending-unit float arm and pickup to work in the Blazer tank. Worked great!

Strodder 08-20-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3474960)
It makes me a little nervous. It will all be primer soon... hopefully soon.

Yeah, but living in Vegas it can sit for a while without rusting. Like here. Just don't was it. :haha: Oh I forgot it's against the law to wash your car in Vegas. Unless you do it with a pressure washer. :m6:

shrunken66stroker 08-20-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3475222)
Yeah, but living in Vegas it can sit for a while without rusting. Like here. Just don't was it. :haha: Oh I forgot it's against the law to wash your car in Vegas. Unless you do it with a pressure washer. :m6:

Still makes me a little nervous. I have just a few more things to do before painting the frame and priming the whole truck. I see the light at the end of the bare metal tunnel.

shrunken66stroker 08-21-2009 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a quick public service announcement to let everybody know it's a good idea to wear a face shield. I was grinding on a rivet to get the rear cross member out and fit the gas tank between the rails when, blam! It was a Dewalt brand disc to, not a cheepo off brand. The thing came apart and sent large shrapnel flying all over the garage. I got hit in the hand and had to change my pants but other than that I'm good.

Captainfab 08-21-2009 12:32 AM

Yep ya gotta watch out for those, they can really do some damage. Wearing personal safety gear is a must when working with grinders. I've been lucky in 30+ years in welding/fabricating, I've never had a hard wheel come apart on me. I've had a few sanding discs catch an edge and explode on me though.

Was that a regular grinding wheel or a cut-off wheel?

Strodder 08-21-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3476216)
Still makes me a little nervous. I have just a few more things to do before painting the frame and priming the whole truck. I see the light at the end of the bare metal tunnel.

What are you going to paint the frame with?

MacAttack 08-21-2009 10:14 AM

Yep - been there - done that. Centrifugal force is an amazing thing.

We "chime" every grinding wheel here in the shop and if it "thuds" we scrap it. A 90-pound wheel coming apart at speed will end your tour of duty, instantly.

You've got to remember that these disposable tools are mass produced, sometimes not domestically (be very careful of units bought at Harbor Freight in that regard), and things get through every quality control system.

Another thing to keep in mind is that heavy duty grinding devices weigh something - so don't drop yours on the cement, or stop the wheel by crashing into something, because the next time you come up to speed and make contact - you might catch a chunk in the teeth.

Mac. :smoke:

Strodder 08-21-2009 10:25 AM

Look what happened when a cut off wheel exploded. It stuck in the roof, and that's about 13' high in that spot.
http://belair.smugmug.com/photos/626072037_PvuZZ-XL.jpg

MacAttack 08-21-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3476663)
Look what happened when a cut off wheel exploded. It stuck in the roof, and that's about 13' high in that spot.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...1/hellopr1.jpgDude, your kung fu is strong....

Mac. ;)

Strodder 08-21-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 3476697)
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...1/hellopr1.jpgDude, your kung fu is strong....

Mac. ;)

And lucky :lol:

shrunken66stroker 08-21-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3476322)
Yep ya gotta watch out for those, they can really do some damage. Wearing personal safety gear is a must when working with grinders. I've been lucky in 30+ years in welding/fabricating, I've never had a hard wheel come apart on me. I've had a few sanding discs catch an edge and explode on me though.

Was that a regular grinding wheel or a cut-off wheel?

It was a regular 4" grinding wheel. I'm glad I had gloves on. A piece hit me in the hand and another one whizzed by my head. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to have the guard on the grinder and I probably should have thrown that wheel away earlier. It was bouncing around a little so it was partially my fault. I'll know for next time.

shrunken66stroker 08-21-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3476645)
What are you going to paint the frame with?

I heard good things about the Eastwood Ceramic 2K system and I had a gift certificate so I bought it. I got the chassis black with a satin finish. I want everything underneath to be black and fade away. I hate seeing anything hanging down or a brightly colored frame. I do like Alan's silver frame though, but that's the only one other than black that I've ever though twice about.

Strodder 08-21-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3476924)
I heard good things about the Eastwood Ceramic 2K system and I had a gift certificate so I bought it. I got the chassis black with a satin finish. I want everything underneath to be black and fade away. I hate seeing anything hanging down or a brightly colored frame. I do like Alan's silver frame though, but that's the only one other than black that I've ever though twice about.

I'm anxious to see how it comes out. The POR-15's satin black is actually flat black. I would think Eastwood's paint would be the correct satin black.

shrunken66stroker 08-21-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3477005)
I'm anxious to see how it comes out. The POR-15's satin black is actually flat black. I would think Eastwood's paint would be the correct satin black.

Me too. I need to get my cherry picker back from my Stepfather to lift the cab and bed off. Nothing will happen before that. I'll fit the gas tank in and I might get the bed floor raised a few inches if I can come up with the money for a wood floor. I'm looking for cheap wood options at the moment.

Strodder 08-21-2009 10:32 PM

Have you thought about a steel bed from a donor bed? Or I just saw a bed made of 5 or 6" tubes shaped like this l___l. It looked trick.

markeb01 08-21-2009 11:06 PM

I had a similar issue years ago with a wire wheel flinging wires while stripping undercoater. I was wearing welding gloves and a face mask, but after a few loose wires embedded in my breastbone I started wearing a leather apron too!

Joemomma1 08-21-2009 11:20 PM

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0698.jpg
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSCN0699.jpg

For ideas.

shrunken66stroker 08-22-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3477633)
Have you thought about a steel bed from a donor bed? Or I just saw a bed made of 5 or 6" tubes shaped like this l___l. It looked trick.

I eventually want to put wood in it so I'm thinking I need something with the same thickness to hold it's place till I can afford the wood that I want. Maybe some cheap wood that I can just replace at some point.

shrunken66stroker 08-22-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 3477698)
I had a similar issue years ago with a wire wheel flinging wires while stripping undercoater. I was wearing welding gloves and a face mask, but after a few loose wires embedded in my breastbone I started wearing a leather apron too!

I've had wire stuck in various parts of my body too. It's usually when those spun or twisted wire wheels start getting worn out. I always wear gloves and a face shield now, especially with grinding and cutting wheels.

shrunken66stroker 08-22-2009 01:10 AM

[QUOTE=Joemomma

For ideas.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude. Is there going to be enough room for your track bar in front of the tank? It looks tight in the pic. And is the tank tucked up in the rails in the second pic? It's hard to see from that angle. Is it mounted to the bottom of the rails still? I'm going to try and get mine up as high as possible so it tucks all the way behind the roll pan. That looks good. Nice work.

Joemomma1 08-22-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 3477894)
Thanks dude. Is there going to be enough room for your track bar in front of the tank? It looks tight in the pic. And is the tank tucked up in the rails in the second pic? It's hard to see from that angle. Is it mounted to the bottom of the rails still? I'm going to try and get mine up as high as possible so it tucks all the way behind the roll pan. That looks good. Nice work.

Its close but plenty of room for travel. Its mounted below the rails w/ a 1" to 2" spacer. I want to put it higher but dont want to cut too much of the bed supports. The frame is not level, if you go off of that the tank will also be unlevel (lower in the rear). 502tripower has finished his swap and is as clean as you can probably get, looks like it can be completly hidden behind a roll pan.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=314957
I have asked him a few questions for both of us.
Check it out.

shrunken66stroker 08-22-2009 11:07 AM

That's a great looking truck 502tri is building and some good info/pics on the tank mods too. I may have to steal the roll pan with bumper idea. I've been thinking about that for a while but never saw how it looked till now. Clean!

1964C10 08-27-2009 12:46 PM

Not sure if I ever posted to your thread, either way, I just finished reading the whole thing and awesome awesome build! Thanks for sharing.