The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=546694)

Grizz1963 11-12-2014 12:32 PM

Re: CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 6915207)
Thanks Rian, by the way my wife made a funny face over your avatar picture:mm:

Welcome aboard, and welcome to the Forum, what are you working on?

Craig, I hope it was an amused face rather than disgust.

Over here we pay around US $2.00 per liter for unleaded and a bit more for diesel.

So filling up a Fossil Fuel Gobbler like my truck, always "hurts". Would not trade it for a Honda or Nissan though.

CRGRS 66 11-12-2014 01:00 PM

Amused, confused, something like that... I said, he's a brit, whacky sense of humour.... :jest:

Hey, while we are chatting, when I bring goods up from the US I bring them in through my company's forwarding company. I end up paying pennies on the dollar for freight duty brokerage. Maybe you could find a group in the UK that consolidates import shipments from the US, like an international forwarding company. Just a thought, maybe a little interweb searching for a company that offers such a service could relieve some if your pain in the cost of shipping.
Cheers!

CRGRS 66 11-27-2014 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a thread on this forum that is titled something like "I hate the PO of my truck because ...." I cannot complain about the PO of my truck, he did a pretty decent job of preserving this truck. I have just discovered what I believe was his biggest mistake, he covered the inner door panels with the same material that he recovered the seat with. The material retained water over the years, and caused what is probably the worst rust damage that I have encountered so far. Still can't complain about my PO.

CRGRS 66 11-27-2014 12:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The damage...

Why on earth would you cover up the original fawn beige/ white inner door panel. Oh well, it is pretty minor.... If I were to complain about anything it would be the holes cut in the doors for speakers... but that is easily fixed.

Grizz1963 11-27-2014 02:56 AM

Craig, are you dismantling the door completely?

I mean the door glass?

If so, please do a bit of detail, as I will be doing mine as well, am
Nd need to know the pitfalls.

CRGRS 66 11-27-2014 09:20 AM

Will do Rian

TJ's Chevy 11-27-2014 04:40 PM

Good luck on the bed and door work. Hope all goes well. :chevy:

LostMy65 11-29-2014 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS
I want to drive it. I want to drive it
every summer. That is the reason for the
thread title. Whatever I take on this winter,
my plan is to get it back on the road, and
enjoy it again next summer.

.Well, I figured I had better get over here and read your thread.
First thing that stood out to me in the first post is how you planned to do what could be done in a winter to get it back on the road by summer.
That has been my approach.
But as I go through your thread I see you stripping it to the frame. I laughed. But I commend you because you're doing it right.
Great progress!

CRGRS 66 11-29-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 6936148)
Good luck on the bed and door work. Hope all goes well. :chevy:

thanks, my problem is that it is hard to find time to get at it

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 6937552)
.Well, I figured I had better get over here and read your thread.
First thing that stood out to me in the first post is how you planned to do what could be done in a winter to get it back on the road by summer.
That has been my approach.
But as I go through your thread I see you stripping it to the frame. I laughed. But I commend you because you're doing it right.
Great progress!

Thanks for posting, I will be glad that I went this route in the end, but I sure do miss driving it.

61K10 12-12-2014 02:33 PM

Craig-- you seam to have gone the same route as I in your resto. I am retired and know how long it took me and still not completely done. Your work looks better than mine if i do say so! great job so far as the tk is looking great.

Great tribute to your Mon & Dad also----------------Kimble

CRGRS 66 12-12-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61K10 (Post 6954801)
Craig-- you seam to have gone the same route as I in your resto. I am retired and know how long it took me and still not completely done. Your work looks better than mine if i do say so! great job so far as the tk is looking great.

Great tribute to your Mon & Dad also----------------Kimble

Thanks Kimble... long, long way for me to go, hope to be able to get more focused on the project over and after the holidays.

McMurphy 12-12-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 6935598)
Craig, are you dismantling the door completely?

I mean the door glass?

If so, please do a bit of detail, as I will be doing mine as well, am
Nd need to know the pitfalls.

Rian,
The door is only about 20 machine screws and it is as dismantled as you can get. They are very simple.
If you are going to take your doors off, though (and I wish I had remembered this before I did) be sure to permanently mark each hinge on door and frame. S

So far rehanging a door from scratch and trying to get it plumb sucks....

Modges'66 12-12-2014 07:46 PM

When I was getting ready to take my doors off I drilled an 1/8" hole thru the hinge & into the door, and also drilled an 1/8" hole thru the hinge & into the cab on every hinge and marked the hinges. This way, upon re-assembly, you can stick a 1/8" pin into the hole and tighten down the hinges!
This will get you very close....As long as your doors are adjusted good to start with!
you may still need to do some minor adjustment, but not even close to starting from scratch!

Grizz1963 12-12-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6954997)
Rian,
The door is only about 20 machine screws and it is as dismantled as you can get. They are very simple.
If you are going to take your doors off, though (and I wish I had remembered this before I did) be sure to permanently mark each hinge on door and frame. S

So far rehanging a door from scratch and trying to get it plumb sucks....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6955080)
When I was getting ready to take my doors off I drilled an 1/8" hole thru the hinge & into the door, and also drilled an 1/8" hole thru the hinge & into the cab on every hinge and marked the hinges. This way, upon re-assembly, you can stick a 1/8" pin into the hole and tighten down the hinges!
This will get you very close....As long as your doors are adjusted good to start with!
you may still need to do some minor adjustment, but not even close to starting from scratch!

Genius.

I have ordered door pins as my doors are very saggy.

But still worth remembering your advice.

Modges'66 12-12-2014 08:21 PM

Rian,
Your doors may be saggy, but chances are that nobody has adjusted the hinges.
I would still drill them before removal, change the pins, then put them back on.
I bet that they will be darn close to perfect with the new pins...IMO

Modges'66 12-12-2014 08:26 PM

I am totally sorry Craig, Forgot who's thread I was posting to, I am looking at too many threads at the same time!
I need to pay more attention to what I am doing, and not have a cocktail at the same time! LOL!

CRGRS 66 12-13-2014 03:39 PM

No worries Modges, I was having a little chuckle as I was reading the posts, good info to share, share it here, share it there, it's all good.

Grizz1963 12-13-2014 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6955134)
I am totally sorry Craig, Forgot who's thread I was posting to, I am looking at too many threads at the same time!
I need to pay more attention to what I am doing, and not have a cocktail at the same time! LOL!

I personally never get too precious about threads I strt, after all, we all learn here from each other, this is ultimately a resource.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 6955988)
No worries Modges, I was having a little chuckle as I was reading the posts, good info to share, share it here, share it there, it's all good.

So would I be chuckling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6955124)
Rian,
Your doors may be saggy, but chances are that nobody has adjusted the hinges.
I would still drill them before removal, change the pins, then put them back on.
I bet that they will be darn close to perfect with the new pins...IMO

Thanks for the advice.

I am sure you are right regarding previous adjustments.

CRGRS 66 08-08-2015 10:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys
I have been MIA since, oh, about March...
The deck on the house we bought about a year ago was something I new needed to be replaced, there was an issue with the footings. About 16 feet out from the house the deck was about 9" higher than at the patio doors. Being attached to the house, it was causing stress to the building and during this past, very cold winter, those patio doors were binding, making it difficult to open/close.
I started dismantling the deck in March, and discovered the reason for the deck lifting. The moron who built it only went down 2 feet with his footings. Not only this, but he appeared to have set the 4x4's in the ground, and filled around them with cement... IDIOT!!!! This is Canada, footings must go down 4 feet, this is also not a fence.....
Here are a couple pictures to get you started.

CRGRS 66 08-08-2015 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Original deck was 16FT x 24FT, plus a raised extension (raised extension, that is funny... no?) approximately 10Ft x 10FT. My plan was to dismantle the deck gingerly in order to re-purpose as much of the structural lumber as possible. In the end I saved approx $1200 in doing this, the trade off was a lot of manual labor.

CRGRS 66 08-08-2015 10:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Look closely at those pictures, yes, those are the concrete footings coming out of the ground, frost is a powerful thing.
New deck is 20 feet by 24 feet, is plumb, and dead nuts level. It is sitting on 11 footings that are 50 to 52 inches below grade. Deck is not attached to the house, it is completely free standing. Skirting is made from all of the off-cut 5/4x6 deck boards.

62 Barnfind 08-08-2015 10:26 AM

Nice job on your deck!

CRGRS 66 08-08-2015 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Next it was on to the side walkway entrance to the back yard. The first picture was taken after I had removed the flag stones, but you get the picture. Again what PO (read moron) did was to essentially sprinkle crushed stone on the earth, and place the flag stones.... Oh, yeah, that is going to look good for about a season... maybe two...

I removed all of the flag stone, and dug down between 3-1/2" to 5". Then spread landscape fabric, and filled with what the stone guy called beach stone (pretty good sized stones, average 1" diameter). Then placed the cleaned up flag stones, and added some solar lights. I am quite pleased with the results, and... yes, myself!

61K10 08-08-2015 01:21 PM

deck and walkway look great--nice job. I need a new walkway also. when my house was built the guy was so cheap he just put 18x24 stepping stones. been here 9yrs, one of these days lol. anyway nice job.

Kimble

Ta2Don 08-08-2015 01:39 PM

:jdp: Very Nice Craigerrr...;)

markeb01 08-08-2015 02:25 PM

Nice improvements!

Grizz1963 08-08-2015 06:13 PM

I love these side projects, they keep us sane.

Looking great, especially love the deck.

Well done!!

CRGRS 66 08-08-2015 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind (Post 7267340)
Nice job on your deck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61K10 (Post 7267460)
deck and walkway look great--nice job. I need a new walkway also. when my house was built the guy was so cheap he just put 18x24 stepping stones. been here 9yrs, one of these days lol. anyway nice job.

Kimble

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 7267479)
:jdp: Very Nice Craigerrr...;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 7267512)
Nice improvements!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7267649)
I love these side projects, they keep us sane.

Looking great, especially love the deck.

Well done!!

Thanks guys, spent the day putting away just about every tool I own, and cleaning up the garage... I think there is a truck in there somewhere...

Johnny_Lamebridge 08-09-2015 11:47 AM

Wow, nice work on the deck and walkway! Nice details on both jobs. So that's where you've been hiding... in the back yard.

After concentrating on my C10 for quite a few months, I have quite a bit of "home"work that needs my attention. I'll have to take a break to do a few jobs on the honey-do list. As goes the saying...happy wife, happy life! :lol:

lower50's 08-13-2015 03:00 AM

Just read your build. I just love how these things snowball from, I'm just doing a bit, to total rebuild. Great job it will be sweet when your done. You mentioned you make and sell custom hoses for a living. Do you make power steering hoses?I'm using a hydra boost and will need some hoses.

CRGRS 66 08-20-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7272389)
Just read your build. I just love how these things snowball from, I'm just doing a bit, to total rebuild. Great job it will be sweet when your done. You mentioned you make and sell custom hoses for a living. Do you make power steering hoses?I'm using a hydra boost and will need some hoses.

Hey lower50's, yes we make power steering and AC hoses, normally while you wait, PM me and I will give you details. Thanks for posting!

lower50's 08-20-2015 03:13 PM

Pm'd :)

CRGRS 66 03-26-2016 04:45 PM

My body guy finally made some progress on the cab floor, and got paint on the firewall and the underside., so time to build a cab lifter, get the cab back on the frame and start to get back on this thing!!

CRGRS 66 03-26-2016 04:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple pictures

CRGRS 66 03-26-2016 04:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Cab lifter also doubles as a drywall lifter! Moved it out for some fresh air while I get some boards up.

Ta2Don 03-26-2016 09:38 PM

Welcome back Craigerr!!!:metal:

Johnny_Lamebridge 03-26-2016 11:24 PM

Drywall lifter! That Craiger's a genius!

Nice to see all the big pieces coming back together. :c2:

Palf70Step 03-27-2016 07:24 AM

:agree:

northern 85 03-27-2016 08:35 AM

Nice job on everything! Im in on following this build.

chad64chevy 03-27-2016 02:58 PM

I agree, welcome back Craig! It's been awhile since you have posted anything! love the lift, one of the best things I built! I built mine awhile back an have used it to lift the bed off also!