The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   "Geronimo" 54' 3100 LS built in PA (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=690612)

99 to Life 01-21-2017 12:13 AM

Re: "Geronimo" 54' 3100 LS built in PA

2 Attachment(s)
1-20

here is a little better video https://youtu.be/M0gpKPppxls

also somehow managed to yank 5speed out and toss the actual 4l60e in there for moch up. working on the trans cover and firewall next.

99 to Life 01-23-2017 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1-23 monday, got trans tunnel almost done. nothing fancy and this is my first radius style hump. I usually like doing square ones. no tools used here, just my knee and some metal objects as anvils. I made a frame that followed the stock opening in the floor, then came up to the firewall. I then used 1 piece of 18g to make the top hump and then another to make the one big area. So its technically all double flanged for extra durability. It also bolts on. I got 5hrs in this thing believe it or not. was scrapping the last of my metal together. it will fit tight when I get all the bolts in. I'll try and find some gasket of sort to put under it also.

joedoh 01-23-2017 11:43 PM

good looking tunnel! engine sounds good too

oldman3 01-24-2017 12:05 AM

Looking good there 99...Jim

99 to Life 01-25-2017 10:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1-25

thanks guys. so today I started cleaning up the firewall. These areas here I recessed a bit just to give the engine a little more cushion. I cut the area out, shaped up a piece and welded it back in.

youngrodder 01-25-2017 11:39 PM

The trans cover turned out great. Much better than a squared off one.

Marc

99 to Life 01-26-2017 12:27 AM

thanks, I like the square ones but wanted to try a radius one. I'll build a custom cup holder for it.

99 to Life 01-31-2017 12:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
1-30 nothing too exciting. filled about 30 holes or so in firewall, some big some small. fixed the two sides on firewall where they always seem to rot since chevy lap jointed that area for some weird reason. Not that lapjoints are entirely bad but just seems like it didn't need to be there and its prone to the elements. I plan to paint the firewall and engine bay with a tan gloss paint. I think it will compliment the blue and touch of red on engine. I got about 9hrs in the firewall so far. That includes the recessed areas I made for the engine.

99 to Life 01-31-2017 12:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
last pic is my self built english wheel that is almost done. still need to finish up the bottom nest and a few other things and final weld. big thanks to shannonpanel or 48chevypanel he use to post on here alot. He sent me the HF dies he had laying around. I'll use these till I get good enough to need some hoosier profile dies which are expensive. I literally have $20 or so in this. Its super low buck with material I had laying around. I got about 6hrs in it so far and coulda been faster had I had some better material to use for the bottom adjuster. Hopefully this threaded rod works and I won't need acme thread.

I made it a point to finally build buy or whatever I gotta do with stepping up my tools. I have very little tools and when it comes to shaping metal I want some better tools to try and push my skill level. I know I can do it, I just don't have simple things like a shrinker/stretcher. So next on the list is the HF bead roller that I'll be making electric. I want to keep my tools as diverse as I can. I don't want all HF stuff so I'll make what I can and hopefully find some old tools to fill in if I possible. I want to support usa made stuff, but I simply can't afford most stuff. I honestly still work out of a portable craftsman mechanics tool set, don't even own a real tool box!!

iowaboynca 01-31-2017 01:44 AM

No shame being 'portable'. A socket doesn't care if its in a tool chest or a bag. And you can never have too many tools!

oldman3 01-31-2017 10:58 AM

99, I think, you making your own tools is great, Shannon has done well with his improved home grown tools. It's what you put out (great rides) that shows you know how to use what you have...Jim

lower50's 01-31-2017 01:18 PM

Oh Ya that motor sounds nice. Not having many tools is not a bad thing. Some people can do amazing work with very little, then there are some people that do crappy work and have every tool made. Keep up the good work!

99 to Life 01-31-2017 01:26 PM

thanks guys. I hope to possibly put up a 20x30 maybe 35' steel garage this year. I can get the frame off my neighbor for 500 bucks, then I can start piecing the roof and walls together. maybe get a floor in this year too. We'll see, money is tight. If I had that garage, I can finally just have all my tools in there, nice clean and organized. That and some good tools I'm striving for this year, and getting this truck done!

MIKESAD50 01-31-2017 07:08 PM

Nice work and great job on building english wheel

Advanced Design 01-31-2017 10:20 PM

Nice work on the firewall 99. That wheel will be handy...and when you are ready Joe makes very nice anvils.

youngrodder 01-31-2017 11:20 PM

The firewall cleaned up nicely...Good progress...

Marc

STOCKISH 02-03-2017 02:19 PM

Firewall looks great!

joedoh 02-04-2017 10:06 PM

that english wheel is a behemoth! need to pull one of your spare frames from your collection and make it roll

firewall looks great too

99 to Life 02-04-2017 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks guys, still finishing up the Ewheel. Had to put a steel plate on the back side of the longest leg. Working on the lower anvil nest. Hoping to to try it out this weekend. Im finally making it a point to build or buy as many sheet metal tools as possible this year.
Just caught sail to actually bag my 51' this year, rework interior and some other stuff. So this year should be extremely packed. can't wait to finish up Geronimo.

On a tool note, sounds lame but I never had good drill bits and it made me hate drilling holes. So I got some from drillhog on ebay. and so far I'm happy. I really like affordable usa made products and one with a warranty. So if any of you need some cobalt bits, check them out. these were 40$ to my door.

lower50's 02-07-2017 01:50 AM

Oh good drill bits and taps are so nice to use.

99 to Life 02-17-2017 11:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
2-17 Got the hideous dash hole repaired. Still need to run the shrinking disc from proshaper on it and do the metal finish. Dash will be painted blue of some sort ontop and prolly tan on bottom. Got a HF shear since a real beverly is too much for me right now and they are hard to find used. It makes life so much easier, don't know how i'v gone this far without one.

99 to Life 02-17-2017 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tool update, got Ewheel done, just need a better shaft for the top wheel, too much slop with a 3/4" bolt. Then I need to paint it. Ordered up a shot bag and hammer. I plan to make some good hammers in the future outta hardrock maple from skateboard decks. (I worked for my friend for years making skateboards). I'm also going to make a couple different stumps. Then I need some sheetmetal and time to play around with shaping. Should be getting the Mittler shrinker/stretcher set in march. Waiting on bead roller to show up, I'll add electric motor to it. Oh... and should have a new 80g air compressor when it comes in. I wanted a Quincy made in USA but got 10% off an 80g IGrand from tractor supply. So I guess the IGrand will have to do. It is cheaper and I get an 80g over the 60g.

lower50's 02-17-2017 05:23 PM

Your tool collection is growing really fast. :metal:

Flysocal 02-17-2017 08:17 PM

Excellent dash repair!!!

oldman3 02-17-2017 08:53 PM

99, Nice job on the dash repair, and keeping the Chevrolet intact. Tool additions are coming on strong...Jim

Advanced Design 02-17-2017 09:28 PM

Nice work on the dash repair 99. Have fun with the e-wheel!

youngrodder 02-17-2017 11:09 PM

Nice dash repair. The before pic reminded me of an old rotting carved pumpkin that was starting to fall in.. Very nice.

Marc

MIKESAD50 02-18-2017 09:33 AM

Nice work on the dash repair and the tools.

99 to Life 02-18-2017 09:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks guys, I'm still new to all this compared to most. I got six years under my belt which is still green IMO. But... I'm trying to really step up this year. Early on I spent all my spare money which wasn't much, on my builds or projects I'v saved or collected. So if I didn't spend money on them I coulda had tools or a good garage. But no worries on looking back.

As for Geronimo, I final welded the IFS and am going to coat it this weekend since the heat wave is coming, its really helping me out. Some weld pics, tiny tiny undercut I can live with. I made some gussets for the top hats, I seen someones pull up one time and I thought well maybe I should reinforce that area. Any tips on welding I'm all ears. Little splatter maybe I could get that down with cleaner metal or more gas?

Once front is coated I'm putting engine back in to make sure that and the trans will line up proper. I'll do the trans xmember and exhaust. Then Cab can come off next month. I took bed back off, so I'll work on the shocks and Fuel tank. Maybe do fuel and brake lines too.

99 to Life 02-18-2017 09:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
2-18 Got one coat of chassis saver on the front. Going to put engine back in for now so I can run exhaust and make sure everything is still where I want it. I'll then take cab off and eventually the engine back out. I'll mate it to the final trans and put back in all together. once cab and engine are off frame I'll do all the coating again. Then finish cab and once that is back on, its onto wiring so be a couple months till that.

Onto the rear. The xmember where the shock is, was originally in the very back of the truck. I'm utilizing it in this location and will make a mount on it for the shocks. I started moching up the fuel tank too.

youngrodder 02-19-2017 10:07 PM

Nice progress...if your like me you end up more paint on your hands than the frame..

Marc

iowaboynca 02-20-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7862397)
thanks guys, I'm still new to all this compared to most. I got six years under my belt which is still green IMO. But... I'm trying to really step up this year. Early on I spent all my spare money which wasn't much, on my builds or projects I'v saved or collected. So if I didn't spend money on them I coulda had tools or a good garage. But no worries on looking back.

As for Geronimo, I final welded the IFS and am going to coat it this weekend since the heat wave is coming, its really helping me out. Some weld pics, tiny tiny undercut I can live with. I made some gussets for the top hats, I seen someones pull up one time and I thought well maybe I should reinforce that area. Any tips on welding I'm all ears. Little splatter maybe I could get that down with cleaner metal or more gas? ...

You know, you could itemize any tool purchase as a needed item against the project...at least to justify the purchase :lol:

Regarding your welds...man, I wish mine looked half as good :metal:

99 to Life 02-20-2017 12:38 AM

youngrodder, ha this stuff is deadly man, I wear gloves and still manage to get it on me. Got some on my ear and it won't come off and irritates my skin real bad.

iowaboy, thanks. I'm self taught welder and don't do it everyday. but I have a desire to get better every time I weld. I look back and see my progress all the time. As for tools yeah sometimes I look at it as how you are saying it, sometimes I simply don't care as I just want to make my life easier and tools are so important to most things in what we do. I'm getting a cold cut chop saw very soon. couple hundred bucks and a blade lasts about 750 cuts. Sure beats dealing with abrasive discs. So things like that, Im getting tired of my health breathing in all metal and dust, Iv made the decision to spend the money. I'v wanted a chop saw for years, kinda glad I never bought one cause I'd never use it once the cold cut saw gets here.

I justify buying whole projects or parts to my women, I say hey this is all an investment that can see a return. all your shoes, clothes and make up have little return!!!!

yossarian19 02-20-2017 10:45 PM

You say things like that and you're still breathing? You must be tougher than I am... :)
Work looks good, enjoying the build!

joedoh 02-21-2017 12:11 AM

cold cut saws are great, I had one for a while and it made such precise cuts, instead of the melting cuts abrasive wheel cutoff saws make. those little chips are murder on your shoes though, get a couple big subwoofer speaker magnets and put one under the saw and one behind it, it will catch most of the bits.

lower50's 02-21-2017 09:17 AM

I would use my chop saw outside, still a huge mess. Cold cut saws are really nice. Your welds look good I would suggest a bit more wire, it will help smooth out the weld and reduce undercut. Also are you using co2 or co2/argon mix? The mix will reduce spatter but cost more. It is all looking good tho :metal:

99 to Life 02-21-2017 12:03 PM

bob, yah I do alot of grinding outside when weather permits. Its breaking here, been nice and will be warm all week, but rain. I use a 80/20 mix. Yeah I tend to run lower wire speeds than suggested. I'll bump it up next time and play with it. I just need to practice weld all day trying out what I like. So many variables, heat, wire speed, gas, push pull and your motion of circles or whatever pattern you do plus the speed you go. add position and lighting and it makes for a big combo of getting it perfect.

Flysocal 02-21-2017 05:38 PM

Welds look good to me. A professional welder takes pride in laying down sweet dimes but your not gonna have problems with these welds good job!

I can relate to the grinding dust and stuff with welding and grinding on these old projects. I've been breathing this stuff for over a year now not to mention the eye strain and a couple of trips to the doc to get metal removed from my eye. Not direct hits but with all the dust in my hair it eventually ends up in my eye. I'm happy to report everything is back from powder coat so the bulk of welding and grinding is behind me. Keep up the good work on your build.

lower50's 02-22-2017 09:32 AM

Yup your on the right track. Just play with settings and motion till you and your welder are happy.

99 to Life 03-04-2017 10:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
3-4 Got engine back in. Put springs in up front and I hate it. They need to settle really bad. balljoints look stressed as heck, height is a bit high. So its kinda throwing me in a loop on setting up my pinion angle. Originally I leveled the frame and set engine 3* down. right now I'm around 5* and my trans can't come up much more or else I'm making a tunnel in the floor. I think once the front comes down I should be ok. I know I mounted the engine a bit higher than most, but it really helps with exhaust.

Speaking of exhaust, I got a kit to get started. Much easier than trying to buy individual pieces or having them bent. I took some to a place to get flared over one another. This is my first X style exhaust. Normally I just run them straight back. I most likely will be dumping them in front of rear wheels, just like my last build.

Started on the rear shock mounts. Need some material to make my gas tank straps. Have a lead on a rebuilt trans, so hopefully I can snag it.

Cab is coming off soon to do final metal work and prep for paint. Also the AC unit is on way. I decided to piece it together than get the surefit kit that is pricey and honestly a bit cheesy IMO. They want you to put a huge piece on the front of the firewall and "silicone" it. Seriously vintage air?? Once that is done, I'll finish up the rear of frame and mate them back. Then its onto wiring and final assembly.