The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sold American! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752564)

Ol Blue K20 01-12-2022 10:11 AM

Re: Sold American!

The actuator is the common problem. It takes about 15 minutes to change it out.

DeadheadNM 01-12-2022 09:53 PM

US made puzzles: https://www.sunsout.com/

57taskforce 01-12-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9017992)
The actuator is the common problem. It takes about 15 minutes to change it out.

The later electric style is the way to go. My 98 has it factory and I’ve never once had a problem. 200K + miles these days. The early thermal style are known to cause problems.

special-K 01-12-2022 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hear those are better. Faster anyway. I never had a problem with it in my '92 in 335,000 miles/22 years. Slow? Yes. Reliable? Yes. On my '95 Suburban, for all I know the wire pulled loose. Probably is the actuator, but I need to roll under there to look and test before ordering. I think that one is at about 220 something K. I bought it seven years ago with 120K on it. Not bad for $2,500 (knock on wood)

DeadheadNM 01-30-2022 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New to me snow pusher. Working well. Locally made.

special-K 01-30-2022 10:23 PM

I just bought something and it was made in USA. Maybe I'll remember what it was by tomorrow :lol:

On the other hand, I keep seeing white pine trim boards from Home Depot, I mean since at least last year, that are tagged "Made In Sweden"! I just can't get over that. Sweden? It's a small country and not exactly 3rd world cheap. Home Depot must buy zillions of board feet from there. White pine grows so fast here. I can't believe it's more feasible to import from Sweden.

Rich84 01-31-2022 12:46 PM

If Home Depot can save a penny a foot they will.

FleetsidePaul 01-31-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9027346)
I just bought something and it was made in USA. Maybe I'll remember what it was by tomorrow :lol:

On the other hand, I keep seeing white pine trim boards from Home Depot, I mean since at least last year, that are tagged "Made In Sweden"! I just can't get over that. Sweden? It's a small country and not exactly 3rd world cheap. Home Depot must buy zillions of board feet from there. White pine grows so fast here. I can't believe it's more feasible to import from Sweden.

I see a lot of things like that.

I bought some of those frozen microwave burritos 2 for a buck on special.

I wondered, how can they buy all the ingredients. pay the labor to make them, package them, and ship them frozen, pay a guy to stock them on the shelf, and make profit at 50 cents each. And that's the retail price.

It makes you wonder what's in them?

LockDoc 01-31-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9027650)
I see a lot of things like that.

I bought some of those frozen microwave burritos 2 for a buck on special.

I wondered, how can they buy all the ingredients. pay the labor to make them, package them, and ship them frozen, pay a guy to stock them on the shelf, and make profit at 50 cents each. And that's the retail price.

It makes you wonder what's in them?

It's easy, they make them right there with a 3D printer & throw them in the freezer.... :)

LockDoc

special-K 02-02-2022 07:38 AM

:lol: They are a food illusion. Holograms. You really didn't eat anything at all :lol:

I just don't get how HD saves a buck on planed kiln dried lumber shipped from Sweden. Plenty of it growing in America, and it grows fast. My son bought a seedling at an auction years ago and now it must be 80+' tall. They can come take it down for free and have the sawmill about a mile away saw it up, then kiln dry and plane it about 10 miles from here.

The place 10 miles from here is Vintage Lumber. Alex started out taking barns down for chestnut and yellow pine, mostly. Then making paneling, flooring, etc. He does a lot of things now. One is produce laminate wood flooring. He used to ship container loads of wood to Kansas to have it made into flooring. Now he ships them to China, they manufacture the flooring, then ship it back. Blows my mind how that can yield a higher profit.

72c20customcamper 02-02-2022 11:53 AM

Pleasantly surprised my last trip to lowes . Picked up some Werner putty knives and carbide blades for the Werner scraper a Purdy paint brush some wire and 10 pack of 20 amp outlets the only thing not made in USA was the carbide blades but they were German made .

Steeveedee 02-03-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9028739)
:lol: They are a food illusion. Holograms. You really didn't eat anything at all :lol:

I just don't get how HD saves a buck on planed kiln dried lumber shipped from Sweden. Plenty of it growing in America, and it grows fast. My son bought a seedling at an auction years ago and now it must be 80+' tall. They can come take it down for free and have the sawmill about a mile away saw it up, then kiln dry and plane it about 10 miles from here.

The place 10 miles from here is Vintage Lumber. Alex started out taking barns down for chestnut and yellow pine, mostly. Then making paneling, flooring, etc. He does a lot of things now. One is produce laminate wood flooring. He used to ship container loads of wood to Kansas to have it made into flooring. Now he ships them to China, they manufacture the flooring, then ship it back. Blows my mind how that can yield a higher profit.

The Chinese have factory ships 220 miles off the US coast. All the waste gets dumped overboard.

https://www.futureworld.org/mindbull...its-factories/

72c20customcamper 02-03-2022 08:36 PM

Just Google forced labor China. Easy to be cheap when there are no labor costs .

Steeveedee 02-03-2022 11:51 PM

...and if you're buying shrimp from CostCo (and other outlets), just look up slave labor off the Thai coast. Dayam. I quit buying that shrimp after I read about it.

DeadheadNM 02-04-2022 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Smith goggles

special-K 02-04-2022 09:23 AM

Yesterday I took a Milwaukee Sawzall to the place that repairs electric tools. They are an electric motor sales & service business that has sold Milwaukee Tools since back when only plumbers and electricians used them and there were very few dealers. They gave me the same old "You'd be better off buying a new one by the time you pay for a repair". I am not the one to tell that too. I'd rather pay double the cost for a repair of a well-built USA made tool than replace it with it's Chinese, or anywhere else, replacement. That's what I told the lady and she said "We don't sell Chinese tools, we sell Milwaukee", quite proudly and firmly. Is this true, or is there a city in China named Milwaukee? :lol: I'll have to look into it. But I still hate the throw it away and replace mentality. That has never been me. To me the newer Sawzall feels cheaper than my first one I bought 45 years ago, I think, from this place. The new one is under $130. If they can make them in the USA and sell at a competitive price, why do others not do this? My answer is more money in the pocket for Mr Big!

EDIT: I did some checking and the answer is their most popular tools are made in China. They are Japanese owned. They have plants in the USA and have been expanding here. Not sure if it isn't just "assembly of foreign parts" or what. Seems to be the usual corporate smoke & mirrors BS. Hard to get a straight answer

72c20customcamper 02-13-2022 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Needed a new hacksaw . Took a while but I found a made in USA one. I was going to buy a Dewalt as it was at least "made in America with global parts" I then looked at the Ace brand this one is made in USA with domestic and foreign parts was 3 dollars more .

special-K 02-13-2022 02:02 PM

Good for you for checking. I remember when foreign made stuff started taking over and the saying was "Buy American". Today, that is very hard to do. But you can still go with "Try American". Often you'll find when you at least think about it and look a little harder you can make "Buy American" happen.

I see the notice on the package:

Work Smart
Wear
Smith Goggles

:cool:

dieseldawg142 04-03-2022 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bought some Daystar air bag cradles
Attachment 2182355

davischevy 04-05-2022 01:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My air compressor.

special-K 04-05-2022 06:49 PM

Great to see! I was thinking about this thread when on the Harbor Freight thread recently. I don't guess you got that compressor there.

davischevy 04-05-2022 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9062125)
Great to see! I was thinking about this thread when on the Harbor Freight thread recently. I don't guess you got that compressor there.

We get our compressors from JD Dickinson Compressors In Springfield, MO. They only do compressors and they do it well. They ain't cheap but they are good.

Palf70Step 04-06-2022 07:54 AM

Quincy's are some really good stuff. Helped my buddy restore one back to use in his shop.

special-K 04-06-2022 07:56 AM

I don't see a shop compressor as the tool to go cheap on.

Hey, what's that HVAC control panel out of? I'm having to fix mine on my '95 Suburban. One year-only part.

DeadheadNM 04-08-2022 03:23 PM

Lot's of US and Canada made work and other clothes here

FleetsidePaul 04-08-2022 05:20 PM

A lot of things are made here in California.

Rules for instance. They make a lot of them but the quality isn't the best. And no refunds.

DeadheadNM 04-08-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9063727)

Rules for instance. They make a lot of them but the quality isn't the best. And no refunds.

LOL

Cambro still makes nearly all (but not all) products in CA and NC - do you need a new pitcher for beer maybe :)

leddzepp 04-08-2022 06:28 PM

Quote:

I agree. The quality is terrible.

That must be why I’ve been breaking them my whole life.

Steeveedee 04-08-2022 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 9063758)
I agree. The quality is terrible.

That must be why I’ve been breaking them my whole life.

Remember the 11th commandment, and keep it Wholly:

"Thou shalt not get caught". :D

special-K 04-08-2022 08:29 PM

They just need to perform more R&D before jumping both feet first into making their rules... Sheesh! Take a chill pill. Other states are looking ya know! :lol:

Ol Blue K20 04-08-2022 09:56 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah! I've sold one property. A couple more and I can leave the idiot state. I just need to find a good spot to go.

davischevy 04-08-2022 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9063840)
Oh yeah! I've sold one property. A couple more and I can leave the idiot state. I just need to find a good spot to go.

We have a few empty corners Dale.

Ol Blue K20 04-09-2022 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9063893)
We have a few empty corners Dale.

Thanks for the invitation. :metal:

DeadheadNM 06-23-2022 01:28 PM

These USA-made, USA-steel garage/barn lights look really nice and I plan to make use of a few in the near future: https://steellightingco.com/

special-K 06-23-2022 01:42 PM

Good to know. I saved their info.

72c20customcamper 06-23-2022 08:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New shoes on the Harley . I just washed the rim no ArmorAll

davischevy 06-23-2022 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9062333)
I don't see a shop compressor as the tool to go cheap on.

Hey, what's that HVAC control panel out of? I'm having to fix mine on my '95 Suburban. One year-only part.

That control panel is out of a mid nineties to early 2,000's Kodiak.

DeadheadNM 08-02-2022 03:56 PM

Clothing and other items here: http://forloh.com/

special-K 08-03-2022 07:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought a new Wooster brand paint brush, made in Wooster, Ohio using some foreign sourced materials. Must have China bristles :rolleyes:

I've used Wooster brushes for years. This is the third one of these little buggers I've bought and I keep my brushes a long time. They don't cost much more than the cheaper alternative. For me it's either use a good brush including taking proper care of it or use a throw away.

special-K 08-10-2022 09:15 AM

I need a new DeWalt 18v charger. It will have to be a non-DeWalt copy. There are several on Ebay and they all show American flags with some version of "USA Shipper", "US Seller", etc. Warms my heart knowing I'll be buying local