The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

focusedontheprize 04-15-2013 06:56 PM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Congrats Mechanixman

This past weekend I put the windshield in and painted my split exhaust manifolds from Tom Langdon. Was a bit under the weather, so this weekend I have to pick up a lot of the slack.

Goal is to order the rims and tires this week and start figuring out about the exhaust. I want this thing moving!
Posted via Mobile Device

la hi 04-15-2013 08:18 PM

I painted the interior of the 57 red. Then I installed (or in the process of installing) the navy blue headliner from truck shop.

sqrlnts 04-16-2013 09:35 AM

Spent 6 hours installing drivers side retractable 3 point seat belt in my 57. Safety sucks

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 09:52 AM

Sqrlnts, Where did you source your seat belts? I've been watching Craigslist for trucks/SUV's being parted out but so far no luck. Yes, I've looked at Juliano's and others but I'd really like to avoid spending $200.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Denee007 04-16-2013 11:15 AM

Seat belts are downright pricey! When I bought the Tahoe seat, I also bought the seat belts from the same vehicle, I think was 50 bucks per side, and one isn't working very well! Dan, dear, the ONLY safety feature we're going to have are safety belt/s;). With geek butts out ther on their cell phones texting and probably giving no regard to old trucks, 200 doesn't sound so bad;) not to mention the metal dashes in our trucks, I'd hate to kiss my dash under dire circumstances!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6015062)
Sqrlnts, Where did you source your seat belts? I've been watching Craigslist for trucks/SUV's being parted out but so far no luck. Yes, I've looked at Juliano's and others but I'd really like to avoid spending $200.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denee007 (Post 6015191)
... Dan, dear, the ONLY safety feature we're going to have are safety belts...

Ha ha, translation: "Quit being a dumbschit/cheapskate and spend the money to keep your face from bouncing off the metal dash!"

Of course you're right, Denee. I agree completely that $200; given what we spend on everything else on these trucks, is not that much. I'm also aware that if I go to my local wrecking yard there's a great liklihood I will find a few very new vehicles with seat belts in perfect condition for a fraction of the cost.

Ok, ok, stop yelling at me. It's looking like I can get off work early today, I'll head over to the wrecking yard TODAY!:lol:

dubie 04-16-2013 11:32 AM

i thought about putting seat belts in my truck, but then it wouldn't have the authentic look I'm going for. I checked with government laws in my province and they state that if the vehicle didn't come with it from the factory, it'll pass through the inspection without it. But just in case I do need them, I robbed a color matched set from an 89 Silverado for $50 from the local wrecker

sqrlnts 04-16-2013 11:34 AM

I paid $50 for two 3pt belts from this guy on Ebay.

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6015221)
i thought about putting seat belts in my truck, but then it wouldn't have the authentic look I'm going for. I checked with government laws in my province and they state that if the vehicle didn't come with it from the factory, it'll pass through the inspection without it. But just in case I do need them, I robbed a color matched set from an 89 Silverado for $50 from the local wrecker

Aren't you kind of missing the point? Your face vs. a rigid steering column AND a metal dash with metal knobs = GORE.

Yeah, you're not going to drive it that much, yada yada. Unless it's going to Pebble Beach and be a 100 point show car I very much doubt anyone would have the slightest problem with the presence of seat belts. For the same reason I intend to take my gas tank out of the cab, install a double pot master cylinder and reconnect the emergency brake.

mknittle 04-16-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan in pasadena (Post 6015257)
aren't you kind of missing the point? Your face vs. A rigid steering column and a metal dash with metal knobs = gore.

Yeah, you're not going to drive it that much, yada yada. Unless it's going to pebble beach and be a 100 point show car i very much doubt anyone would have the slightest problem with the presence of seat belts. For the same reason i intend to take my gas tank out of the cab, install a double pot master cylinder and reconnect the emergency brake.

x2

sqrlnts 04-16-2013 12:11 PM

To each their own, last I checked dubie pays his own insurance. To be perfectly honest in any kind of hard crash your head will still slam against the side of the metal cab, which in my case now has a massive 1/2" bolt head and large metal seat belt hanger. Yes it will prevent me from impaling myself on the column and hopefully keep me in the cab. **** while we are at it I hope the damn seat stays attached to the cab and I also hope the cab stays attached to the frame.......

Daze57 04-16-2013 12:14 PM

''kiss my dash''

very good denee !!!!

dubie 04-16-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6015257)
Aren't you kind of missing the point? Your face vs. a rigid steering column AND a metal dash with metal knobs = GORE.

Yeah, you're not going to drive it that much, yada yada. Unless it's going to Pebble Beach and be a 100 point show car I very much doubt anyone would have the slightest problem with the presence of seat belts. For the same reason I intend to take my gas tank out of the cab, install a double pot master cylinder and reconnect the emergency brake.

I also kept the fuel tank inside the cab of my truck :metal: old school baby!!!

In all seriousness guys, this truck won't be driven on the highway except for the occasional cruise to neighboring towns to support their car shows and locally, we only have 6000 people that live here. That makes 5999 potential careless drivers but I really won't be driving this truck very often.

I've installed other necessary safety option like power disc brakes to give me better response for stopping power, but as far as seat belts go, I'm going to get this thing on the road first and then see what it's like. I wear a seat belt in my daily driver, no matter where I go, so it may seem foreign to not be wearing one. If that's the case, I have a set on stand by

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 12:33 PM

Sorry dubie, :crazy:

dubie 04-16-2013 12:39 PM

no worries man, I appreciate you thinking about my safety :)

mknittle 04-16-2013 12:41 PM

When I was driving a 80,000# truck it was like a video game avoiding Idiots on their cell phones etc. If they aren't smart enough the avoid a vehicle that out weighs them by 30times, A pickup truck that only out weighs them by a couple thousand #s is nothing to them.

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 6015327)
no worries man, I appreciate you thinking about my safety :)

Thanks for taking the high road.

Truthfully/ We're ALL a little :crazy: - why else would be be pouring money into 60 year old rusty trucks? (But I LOVE it!)

Ok, so all you other nutjobs - be safe out there. Like the bumper sticker says, "I drive just as bad as YOU do!":lol::lol:

OrrieG 04-16-2013 01:38 PM

Seatbelts $200. Facial reconstructin surgery just so you can breath and eat $50K, add 20K or so if you want to look nice again. I got third row Yukon seats with outboard 3 point belts and center lap belt built in. Also check the head restraint, had a daughter that had 6 months of misery and over 20K in medical (paid by other persons insurance) when she was rear ended. Stastically most "accidents" happen at under 30 mph and within 5 miles of your house.

mechanixman 04-16-2013 02:37 PM

The only reason I will put seat belts in my truck is because of the other drivers.
No one on this forum ever wrecks their vehicle on purpose, it almost always is the other drivers fault. Someone driving while under the influence, someone running a redlight. It seems like we're a cautious bunch. :)
Besides, even if I did rear end someone (god forbid), my bumper weighs 60lbs, and is mounted straight to the frame. Their bumper is plastic, with a foam crunch piece, then a flimsy metal bumper core that has shear bolts connecting it to the frame. I'll just slow to a stop. Nothing too bad..

But in all seriousness, how does the steering column get pushed up through the dash?
I've seen some nasty pictures of an AD column where the driver's chest SHOULD be, but I don't understand what would make it shoot up. It seems like the frame would need to seriously crunch to do it.

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6015583)
The only reason I will put seat belts in my truck is because of the other drivers.
No one on this forum ever wrecks their vehicle on purpose, it almost always is the other drivers...

That's what everyone thinks. That's why they're called "accidents".

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanixman (Post 6015583)
..,But in all seriousness, how does the steering column get pushed up through the (driver).., It seems like the frame would need to seriously crunch to do it.

That's EXACTLY what happens.

There aren't collapsible steering columns, 3 pt. seat belts, airbags, padded dashboards, yada yada yada for nothing. And if you're gonna spout off about the government and the general litigious nature of people "nowadays" well they didn't get that way for no reason. There've been lawyers a long long time. Someone finally just figured out the collective "we" weren't being very smart (or doing much at all) to prevent injuries and deaths.

I love me the old cars and trucks but I'd never argue that new vehicles aren't safer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 07:52 PM

Back to trucks and not being everyone else's mother! (Yes, I participated)

I actually did a LITTLE bit of work on the truck. Not too exciting though. R&R'd the tail lights, painted the housings, polished the lenses w/Mother's Plastic Polish (stuff works great) and sanded/painted the area around that I half-assed when I rattle canned my truck a few weeks ago. Rust already started to get a toehold on my chrome taillight brackets. 000 steel wool and Gibbs oil made fast work of it though.

BEFORE:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psf3607caa.jpg

AFTER:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psaa673bb6.jpg

Denee007 04-16-2013 08:46 PM

This one made me laugh! :lol: The part about the seat staying and the cab staying attached in case of a crash! omg, this is a horrible thought! I'd better put a tie down strap around my entire cab! ;)

ps: Dan, I can just about make you out in your bumper! I never get to see anyone on here!;) btw, looking good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqrlnts (Post 6015280)
To each their own, last I checked dubie pays his own insurance. To be perfectly honest in any kind of hard crash your head will still slam against the side of the metal cab, which in my case now has a massive 1/2" bolt head and large metal seat belt hanger. Yes it will prevent me from impaling myself on the column and hopefully keep me in the cab. **** while we are at it I hope the damn seat stays attached to the cab and I also hope the cab stays attached to the frame.......

Dan in Pasadena 04-16-2013 09:34 PM

Yeah, you can see my dirty jeans - I dug out a big stump and planted a climbing rose today - and my belly sorta looks like it's sticking out - which I SUPPOSE it does:dohh: but not as bad as the rounded bumper seems to show...at least I don't THINK it does:four:

G&R's57GMC 04-16-2013 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is for you Denee, Look near the bolt head.

G&R's57GMC 04-17-2013 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Entered it in a show & shine.