The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

watahyahknow 12-28-2010 01:40 AM

Re: Daverods project 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4372978)
Started to spray the inside of my cab. Learned the fine line between looking really good and running.:waah::lol: Guess I'll have to wait about a week and do alittle sanding.:sumo:

use a lot of fluoresent tubelight try to see the reflection in the part you spray
it starts like an orangepeel when you move too fast or use to little paint keep moving the gun slower or add more paint to the gun till you see in the reflection that the orange peel slowly flows out and the surface starts to gloss thats the speed you need to keep all over with that setting of youre gun or else it goes dripping or whont flow out
try to get long even strokes and keep the distance between gun and surface the same all across , every lengthwize interuption will be visible as a change in gloss do the whole panel before the paint starts to set dont paint the left of the roof and do the quarterpanel before moving to the other side it will show as a dull line .
why people take out the doors and the hood ?
because then when they paint the whole car so they dont have to run back and forth
i used to paint semi trucktrailers there no doors on the side of that , my trackrecord back and forth 18 meter of trailer while climbing up and down a rolling scaffold still stands at that company i think

Strodder 12-28-2010 12:08 PM

Thanks for the tips. When I painted my Motorcycle a few weeks ago, I didn't run the clear, and came out really glossy. When I went back to take a look after about 10 minutes it had a sag in it. I guess I applied too much. :banghead::banghead:

daverod 12-28-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4373465)
use a lot of fluoresent tubelight try to see the reflection in the part you spray
it starts like an orangepeel when you move too fast or use to little paint keep moving the gun slower or add more paint to the gun till you see in the reflection that the orange peel slowly flows out and the surface starts to gloss thats the speed you need to keep all over with that setting of youre gun or else it goes dripping or whont flow out
try to get long even strokes and keep the distance between gun and surface the same all across , every lengthwize interuption will be visible as a change in gloss do the whole panel before the paint starts to set dont paint the left of the roof and do the quarterpanel before moving to the other side it will show as a dull line .
why people take out the doors and the hood ?
because then when they paint the whole car so they dont have to run back and forth
i used to paint semi trucktrailers there no doors on the side of that , my trackrecord back and forth 18 meter of trailer while climbing up and down a rolling scaffold still stands at that company i think

I think lighting had a lot to do with it. Hopefully I'll get it figured out before I start doing the bigger pieces.:uhmk:

daverod 12-28-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 4373366)
Hey this is Bronco Nation Can't you guys see that is BSU Bronco Orange...Go Boise State :metal:

I struck out on the 292 power steering brackets, I did find one complete set and you are first in line when he makes up his mind if they are for sale Looking good Dave

No kiddin. Don't these Longhorn boys know who their dealing with.:lol:

watahyahknow 12-28-2010 12:57 PM

i heared this one in a magazine once : a guy had painted his truck in single stage and spotted a run on the hood shortly after he cleaned and put the gun away , he opened the hood and left it up that did the trick
he couldnt find the run after the paint was dry
when its a small part you could try hanging it upside down

Strodder 12-28-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4373930)
i heared this one in a magazine once : a guy had painted his truck in single stage and spotted a run on the hood shortly after he cleaned and put the gun away , he opened the hood and left it up that did the trick
he couldnt find the run after the paint was dry
when its a small part you could try hanging it upside down

Now you tell me. :lol:

daverod 12-28-2010 02:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sanded my runs out. Wiped it all down with degreaser. One coat no runs.:metal: Got to wait 20 min. for the second coat.:uhmk: More light helped a lot. Also adjusted the paint vol down a bit.

bubba327 12-28-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4373853)
No kiddin. Don't these Longhorn boys know who their dealing with.:lol:

Your truck is looking good in BSU orange, But please no Blue on it,, that would just be terrible.
Some body here in Boise has a old tailgating motorhome painted up in blue and orange.looks awful :devil:
Hook 'em Broncos!!:metal::metal: Now we have to wait till next year for more football. That sux
The only thing left for us this year is final top 10 rankings
But I will cheer for TCU in the Rose bowl
And the Ducks.. but We beat them twice already

Strodder 12-28-2010 04:48 PM

Damn Dave your movin right along. Lookin good. :metal:

daverod 12-28-2010 05:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:uhmk: Sprayed the floor and the bottom.

AZ66GMC 12-28-2010 06:33 PM

Looks good Dave. :metal:

Wish I could do that to mine

Tony
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 12-29-2010 08:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
;) Painting went well. :devil: Always worry about when to turn the heat back on.:lol:

AZ66GMC 12-29-2010 09:03 PM

Looks good Dave :metal:

Sigh... someday :cf:

Tony

198plus 12-29-2010 09:51 PM

Damn I pissed, I want some paint on my cab :lol:

Dave it looks great !!!!!!!!!

daverod 12-29-2010 11:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanxs guys.;) Now if I could get my bedsides done I'd be doing somthing. Guess their next.:uhmk: Kinda funny the truck was originally orange. I wish I would have takin a pic before I tore it to $hit.

Strodder 12-29-2010 11:27 PM

Looks great.:metal: When will you clear it?

daverod 12-29-2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4376820)
Looks great.:metal: When will you clear it?

Never? It's flat. I guess I could put flat clear?

Strodder 12-29-2010 11:45 PM

I think I would. It would be more durable, and easier to clean.

daverod 12-29-2010 11:46 PM

I'll have to check it.;)

daverod 12-29-2010 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok ;) I'm going to clear it but just the flames. Old school ones with long whips. The rest is going to be flat. No clear. I'm never going to get it dirty.:lol: If it does I'll just repaint it. I have the knowledge.:metal::uhm:

Strodder 12-30-2010 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4376935)
Ok ;) I'm going with clear flames but old school with long whips. The rest is going to be flat. No clear. I'm never going to get it dirty.:lol: If it does I'll just repaint it. I have the knowledge.:metal:

That will look good. But I would still paint semi flat clear on it. It can also stain and fade. Do it once and don't skimp on the details.

daverod 12-30-2010 12:06 AM

I'll have to think about it. You might know something.;) Seems like most people don't. Would be better.:smoke:

Strodder 12-30-2010 12:08 AM

Ask around at paint shops to see if I'm right. Or someone chime in here. What do all you other guys think?

daverod 12-30-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4376959)
Ask around at paint shops to see if I'm right. Or someone chime in here. What do all you other guys think?

I just went to the paint section and typed in hot rod flatz. Still thinking.:uhmk:

Strodder 12-30-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4376988)
I just went to the paint section and typed in hot rod flatz. Still thinking.:uhmk:

What's the link?