The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

Dan in Pasadena 04-17-2013 12:53 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6016875)
This is for you Denee, Look near the bolt head.

There's a bolt head in that picture? I just see a bikini!

Boy, that receiver hitch for the Venture/Uplander really DOES fit like it was made for our trucks. Ever since you posted that factlet I've been monitoring CL for one.

Clarance J 04-17-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6016459)
Yeah, you can see my dirty jeans - I dug out a big stump and planted a climbing rose today - and my belly sorta looks like it's sticking out - which I SUPPOSE it does:dohh: but not as bad as the rounded bumper seems to show...at least I don't THINK it does:four:

Dan, I think what you have there is the fun house mirror effect. Chrome bumpers always make me look that way and I know that I'm not that round. I can only hope that I'm right. That's why I never wear stripes. You can tell if I'm walking or rolling.

Denee007 04-17-2013 08:02 AM

;) Dan, that's an interesting picture cause even zooming in on it, I can't see the person taking the picture! Nice looking bumper btw!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6016875)
This is for you Denee, Look near the bolt head.

Posted via Mobile Device

G&R's57GMC 04-17-2013 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Denee,

Look to the right of the right bolt head on the curve, you'll see me from the waist up.

Hint the florescent light is just above me.

Glen

G&R's57GMC 04-17-2013 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6016979)
There's a bolt head in that picture? I just see a bikini!

Boy, that receiver hitch for the Venture/Uplander really DOES fit like it was made for our trucks. Ever since you posted that factlet I've been monitoring CL for one.

Dan,
Call the U-Haul company store near you not the local dealer, If I remember right the receiver was around $125.

Dan in Pasadena 04-17-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6018648)
Dan,
Call the U-Haul company store near you not the local dealer, If I remember right the receiver was around $125.

Oh I know I can do that to get it.

I'm just a cheap bastard and don't need it in the short term which is why I'm "Craigslist creeping" to find a cheap used one!

focusedontheprize 04-18-2013 08:09 AM

Placed my order with Hurst Racing Tires for my white walls. Thanks for the help NEWFISHER and Coach.

Russell Ashley 04-18-2013 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked mine some more. I went over to the lumber yard to pick up some cedar 2x4's. While there I met a guy who has a 50 AD and a 51 GMC. He was familiar with Stovebolt.com but not this forum, so I suggested that he look this forum up.

agnes the dog 04-18-2013 02:22 PM

Finished up installing the 3" drop axle.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...psb243212a.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...psc7a0c835.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps139605f4.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1ea18e48.jpg

Stepside Jim 04-18-2013 03:36 PM

Just looking at the pictures of the last couple trucks sitting in real life situations vs sitting in the garage makes such wonderful statements.

I'd write more but I have to get back out to the garage and do more sanding.:waah:

Thanks for the motivational pictures.;) Jim

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 04:01 PM

Agnes, Looks nice. About how I want mine to sit. Lower but not slammed -which of course is hard to do with the straight axle.

DO you have a photo of it before? Is it a 3" dropped axle only or did you pull leaves, or do other things to lower it?

dubie 04-18-2013 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't really touched mine in a couple days. I sanded and primed the door panels while the wife built and upholstered a panel to fit in the recessed area. I'll post some pics of it later on. Other than that I was shimming the bed up to make the body lines match and continued on the wiring

Russell Ashley 04-18-2013 04:48 PM

I wish mine was a little lower in the front like Dubie and Agnes but it's as low as it will go with the original front axle. There is only about 1 1/4 inches between the spring and the rubber bump stop now. This is due to tired springs, not anything I did.

crossfire84 04-18-2013 06:36 PM

bought new tires for the truck.

agnes the dog 04-18-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6020020)
Agnes, Looks nice. About how I want mine to sit. Lower but not slammed -which of course is hard to do with the straight axle.

DO you have a photo of it before? Is it a 3" dropped axle only or did you pull leaves, or do other things to lower it?

Here's a pic of the truck the day I got it. I pulled two leafs almost immediately, but the pack was so weak that the rest of them dearched very quickly. That's why I went on my search for a drop axle. I'm on a tight budget, so I had to find a used one. Worked out great though. I got it from a guy in Wisconsin while we were up there on spring break. I got the Nostalgia Sid's axle (drum to drum with new king pins installed), steering stabilizer, a monster tie rod with new ends, steering box, new shocks, spring packs, and an adjustable drag link (and a set of wheels and other misc parts) all for $300. He had put 168 miles on the setup. He went with a Heidt's front end because his wife didn't like the ride.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...302/59day1.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

NEWFISHER 04-18-2013 07:53 PM

" He went with a Heidt's front end because his wife didn't like the ride. "

I hope that statement never falls from my lips, it scares me to read it! I am blessed with a great wife, some of the little projects in , around and under the cars/trucks she will help with.

You saved $700 on the axle and steer parts, $600 ish on the leaf packs and he tossed in the shocks and steering box. You did well!

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 08:19 PM

Beautiful Trucks

How much did you get yours for Dubie ?

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agnes the dog (Post 6020372)
Here's a pic of the truck the day I got it. I pulled two leafs almost immediately, but the pack was so weak that the rest of them dearched very quickly. That's why I went on my search for a drop axle. I'm on a tight budget, so I had to find a used one. Worked out great though. I got it from a guy in Wisconsin while we were up there on spring break. I got the Nostalgia Sid's axle (drum to drum with new king pins installed), steering stabilizer, a monster tie rod with new ends, steering box, new shocks, spring packs, and an adjustable drag link (and a set of wheels and other misc parts) all for $300....

You realize you got a SCREAMING cheap deal, right? Congrats. I've been searching for a deal like that for a year.

I HAVE to do something as someone honked up my front spring packs. One side has 5 leaves and the other has 6 though it rides level side-to-side!
No idea why they did that, plus my shackle bolts/pins - whatever the proper term for them - are screwed up as the grease retaining rubber is torn and "squishing" out.

I am REAL tempted to try the 3" drop leaf spring pack from The Truck Shop since I HAVE to do something anyway (if I am keeping the straight axle). If it isn't low enough I could add the dropped axle, but it's a "Catch-22" because the springs don't do anything for my (likely) need for rebuilt kingpins. Then I'd have to pull the whole thing out again....OH THE HUMANITY!:waah:

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 08:52 PM

Hindenburg, Dan

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 08:57 PM

That's right, Junior. (Hindenburg)

Better call a waambulance! lol.

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 08:59 PM

Every time I hear the OOOH THE HUMANITY I see that blimp

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 09:07 PM

If anyone cares and just to have SOMETHING to report today:

I installed a short length of clear 5/16" vinyl tubing from my radiator overflow tube to the "intake" tube on my stainless overflow tank that I posted a photo of back a couple pages in #1970.

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 09:09 PM

Can a Tire off of a 1972 GMC fit on a 59 gmc ?

Dan in Pasadena 04-18-2013 09:26 PM

Any tire off any vehicle can fit ANY other vehicle IF you have the correct rim for it.

That said, I THINK what you're asking about is the lug pattern. The '59 likely still has its original 6 lugs. The '72 (I think) has a 5 lugs on a 5" bolt pattern. So no, with those variables it won't fit.

FYI, GM trucks have the 5 on 5 pattern, cars had the 5 on 4-3/4" pattern.

SCHRUMGMC 04-18-2013 09:28 PM

The tire is on the Rim for the 72

I hope :(