The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Random Photos ‘You took’ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794025)

Rich84 06-15-2021 04:13 PM

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

That whiskey must burn like hell..I enjoy whiskey too. We have a local distillery that lets you try the uncut product. It does burn all the way down.

Ol Blue K20 06-15-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8932835)
That whiskey must burn like hell..I enjoy whiskey too. We have a local distillery that lets you try the uncut product. It does burn all the way down.

Burn or is it smooth...they resemble each other now and then. ;):lol:

Boog 06-15-2021 08:22 PM

He said it's cough cough smoooth as silk cough..

Killer Bee 06-15-2021 09:31 PM

that barrel proof is well balanced but it's not for everyone..

try ice - adjust size of cubes and ratio to the amount and speed you drink..

I typically like mine frigid cold with just a little bit of melt depending on the whiskey..

two fingers in a heavy rocks glass over large cubes to the top is about a 10-15 min sip for me ;)

now when it's packaged like this - look out :eek:

https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/49...1802043422.png

special-K 06-15-2021 09:55 PM

Have you done this before? :lol:

Steeveedee 06-15-2021 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8932949)
that barrel proof is well balanced but it's not for everyone..

try ice - adjust size of cubes and ratio to the amount and speed you drink..

I typically like mine frigid cold with just a little bit of melt depending on the whiskey..

two fingers in a heavy rocks glass over large cubes to the top is about a 10-15 min sip for me ;)

now when it's packaged like this - look out :eek:

https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/49...1802043422.png

I buy paint thinner in cans like that... ;)

67 twins 06-16-2021 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8932966)
I buy paint thinner in cans like that... ;)

Are you sure it's not the same thing with a different label?

Killer Bee 06-16-2021 01:46 AM

speaking of paint thinner....

but I only use this to make limoncello ;)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/qxrg0xtri3z...52768.jpg?dl=0

FleetsidePaul 06-16-2021 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8933001)
speaking of paint thinner....

but I only use this to make limoncello ;)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/qxrg0xtri3z...52768.jpg?dl=0

I took a shot of Everclear on a dare when I was young. :eek: Cough, cough.

I've had a lot of shots in my life. But I'll never forget that one.

Steeveedee 06-16-2021 09:15 AM

:lol: I also do wood working, and denatured alcohol has been banned in California, at least where I'm at. To dilute shellac and clean the brushes, people were suggesting Everclear! That's mighty expensive thinner! Turns out isopropyl alcohol also does the trick, and one can buy it at industrial strength as horse liniment at the feed store. And one can use ammonia to clean the brushes or paint gun parts.

HO455 06-16-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8933062)
:lol: I also do wood working, and denatured alcohol has been banned in California, at least where I'm at. To dilute shellac and clean the brushes, people were suggesting Everclear! That's mighty expensive thinner! Turns out isopropyl alcohol also does the trick, and one can buy it at industrial strength as horse liniment at the feed store. And one can use ammonia to clean the brushes or paint gun parts.

What kind of finishes does ammonia work on?

Steeveedee 06-16-2021 02:06 PM

I think just shellac, though I suppose that any finish you left ammonia on long enough would at least be damaged.

72c20customcamper 06-16-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8933062)

Why would they ban it?

Steeveedee 06-16-2021 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8933171)
Why would they ban it?

One of the decomposition products is ozone. All that ozone lurks close to the surface of the earth until it further decomposes into O2 and an oxide of something else. Given the population density, I can kind of see the need for it, but most rural places don't really need to be deprived. I live in the South Coast Air Basin (apt acronym- SCAB) and we have an inversion layer that keeps pollutants of all types close to the ground. Once it gets hot enough (105F, IIRC) the inversion layer becomes convective and breaks up. If it stayed that hot all the time, that would be crazy- no one would live here, so a lot of controls are needed for the cooler temperatures.

72c20customcamper 06-16-2021 06:50 PM

Okay sounds reasonable for Cali ��

Killer Bee 06-16-2021 07:00 PM

that 190 everclear is also banned in ca :rolleyes:

but I find it occasionally in class 6 (alcohol) shops at px/bx around here ;)

Steeveedee 06-16-2021 07:10 PM

Seems that I've seen the 190 proof at BevMo. Of course, I could be wrong. I'll take a look next time I'm in there. It's been a few months.

FleetsidePaul 06-16-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8933205)
that 190 everclear is also banned in ca :rolleyes:

What isn't. :waah:

Killer Bee 06-16-2021 07:48 PM

from what I've read, everclear is made in different proofs for different states..

but what gets through to individual retailers may vary ;)

some ca only listed on luxco website, looks like labels are similar..

https://www.luxco.com/product-specifications/

I've made some awesome limoncello with 190.. got turned onto it from an Italian fire chief I met in napoli.. his wife made an incredible dinner and they served it afterwards.. it's a traditional digestif in southern Italy where some of the best citrus fruits grow.. its delicious and Italians are very proud of it :)

I have a couple bottles of imported Caravella in the freezer ;)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7KBXA&usqp=CAU

LONGHAIR 06-20-2021 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So the isopropyl alcohol doesn't do the same thing? or the volume of use is not enough that they care?
Even at that, how much denatured alcohol would be used if it wasn't banned?
As accurate as their reasoning may be, does it really matter?
Seems to me like throwing a deck chair off of the Titanic to save weight?

Another question, which I can guess the answer to because "California" is it just banned for sale? or is use or even just possession illegal too?

Random pic, just to keep with the theme.
This is a laundry basket stacker I built for a friend a few months ago. She texted me a pic and said "can you do this?" To which I replied, get me one of the baskets you want to fit in it and sure.

Steeveedee 06-20-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGHAIR (Post 8934446)
So the isopropyl alcohol doesn't do the same thing? or the volume of use is not enough that they care?
Even at that, how much denatured alcohol would be used if it wasn't banned?
As accurate as their reasoning may be, does it really matter?
Seems to me like throwing a deck chair off of the Titanic to save weight?

Another question, which I can guess the answer to because "California" is it just banned for sale? or is use or even just possession illegal too?

Random pic, just to keep with the theme.
This is a laundry basket stacker I built for a friend a few months ago. She texted me a pic and said "can you do this?" To which I replied, get me one of the baskets you want to fit in it and sure.

Retailers aren't carrying it. I don't think possession is unlawful, as I could still buy it from a chemical supply house but it would have to be 5 gallons at a time, which would never use up. Horse liniment (isopropyl) isn't regulated yet. This is just like doing smog checks on the old vehicles. Eventually there are so few older vehicles on the road producing pollution that it isn't worth the effort. I see a move afoot to slide the required year up a bit. It's currently '76 and up, and it used to be sliding in a 25 year window.

special-K 06-20-2021 12:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I took this Friday from the rider seat of my friend's '58 REO. Second picture is a Mack competition pull & drag truck

89AKurt 06-20-2021 12:39 PM

I thought the grate with a red cinder stuck in it, and exhaust outlet, and reflections, and of course the car, made more than a "took" photo.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0b1b8750_b.jpg

LONGHAIR 06-21-2021 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I stopped in to the grocery store on the way home and when I came out, a couple of spaces away was this pile. It wasn't there when I went in.
Trash piled up to the point of not being able to see out anywhere except right in front of the driver. You can't tell from this angle, but there is a hole in there for a driver.

LONGHAIR 06-21-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8934495)
Retailers aren't carrying it. I don't think possession is unlawful, as I could still buy it from a chemical supply house but it would have to be 5 gallons at a time, which would never use up. Horse liniment (isopropyl) isn't regulated yet. This is just like doing smog checks on the old vehicles. Eventually there are so few older vehicles on the road producing pollution that it isn't worth the effort. I see a move afoot to slide the required year up a bit. It's currently '76 and up, and it used to be sliding in a 25 year window.

That's what I was getting at. They make it difficult to get, but you can have/use it, if you go to the trouble to bring some from a neighboring state?