The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826089)

zicc1835 09-07-2023 06:38 AM

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Looking good ….the details on the detailed

D.B 09-07-2023 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9237743)
That looks awesome!

I agree, that looks awesome!!

yuccales 09-07-2023 07:47 AM

Front end and dash looking good! :metal:

Gregski 09-07-2023 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 9237753)
Looks good Greg!

thank you, I appreciate the feedback

Gregski 09-07-2023 09:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
buy a Chevy they said, you'll be able to get parts at Walmart

um, no... ha ha, had to go to three different parts houses for a box of silly headlight adjustment screw nuts

a short video of driving around with visors, side mirrors, and even seat belts: Electric Chevy Truck Running Errands

Gregski 09-07-2023 11:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 9237778)
Front end and dash looking good! :metal:

thanks, finally got all four eyes in

Gregski 09-07-2023 11:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zicc1835 (Post 9237756)
Looking good ….the details on the detailed

speaking of details, I may have finally found a gray for the interior accents that I like

notsolo 09-08-2023 06:41 AM

Let me guess, that's fancy black! .still hookup to the laptop for details? How do you know the level of battery charge-ing.

D.B 09-08-2023 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 9238015)
thanks, finally got all four eyes in

Nice, your truck is looking great.

Gregski 09-08-2023 09:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 9238052)
Let me guess, that's fancy black!

ha ha, nope

Quote:

.still hookup to the laptop for details?

nope, not any more, now I am using a 2.4" Nextion Display when I drive it simply shows me Volts of the big battery pack (not the car battery) and the internal temperature of the Inverter (metal box that changes DC electricity coming from the battery to AC electricity which the electric motor wants) sorry explaining in basic terms for other readers to benefit

Quote:

How do you know the level of battery charge-ing.

brilliant question, the first gen Chevy Volt onboard battery charger that I am using spits out CAN messages, and I use some open source software that I downloaded from GitHub and tweaked to display (again on the little 2.4" Nextion screen) what AC amps and volts I am pulling from my wall socket and what DC amps and volts it is pushing into the big battery pack, I think it is set to refresh every second

D.B 09-08-2023 08:52 PM

This build is fantastic. Simply genius at your best!!

notsolo 09-09-2023 06:42 AM

Very cool, nice set up..Maybe some others feel the same way, looks like spaghetti with a bit of what the hell is that. Then you explain it and it's over my head...Git Hub...who knew.

Gregski 09-09-2023 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.B (Post 9238252)
This build is fantastic. Simply genius at your best!!

speechless

Gregski 09-09-2023 08:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 9222321)
I'm looking forward to watching YouTube and seeing this thing rip down the California roads wide open! In particular while doing it in near silence.:metal: Would an official christening be in order? Smash a bottle of cheap champagne across your bumper just before you back it out onto the road??:lol:

totally thought of this post Brian, I hope you approve this as a christening, I figure "O.K." beer is more my speed for a Good Enuff Garage build, ha ha

Gregski 09-09-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 9238344)
Very cool, nice set up..Maybe some others feel the same way, looks like spaghetti with a bit of what the hell is that...

ha ha, totally get it, but have you ever seen an LS Swap in progress? I've done a couple and this EV Swap has less than half the wires, and that's a fact 40 pin connector (and not even using all the pins) vs the 80 pin LS PCM connector, so there's some hard evidence right there

Gregski 09-09-2023 08:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
had to get remotivated to install that headlight wire harness, and let me tell you it aint no fun on a GMC as you have to run the high beam plugs through the low beam cavities and it's a fun little hand cutting exercise

and I just had to clean off half a century worth of black tar off them gold barb connectors, let me know if you know what I am talking about and if you managed to transfer some of that evil black stuff to yer favorite T shirt by accident? asking for a friend

Gregski 09-09-2023 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
bought some rust and dirt on random truck parts from salt of the earth good people Joe and Marie up in Orangevale, California [best kept C10 truck parts secret in Sacramento]

and boy Joe was right them visors cleaned up real good with just half a can of spray elbow grease

Gregski 09-09-2023 09:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I also went to town with some paint and lacquer thinners on them tri colored armrests before attempting to spray paint them black(ish) with whatever paint I had left

a million and seven light coats being the key in this application for optimum stickability

Gregski 09-09-2023 10:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and then this happened...

Gregski 09-10-2023 10:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the inside door handles are supposed to be spring loaded ! who knew ?

Gregski 09-10-2023 10:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so I decided to give the original ones a shot at rebuilding them, basically you gotta drill out the sorta rivets and replace the broken snap to coil springs

Gregski 09-11-2023 10:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
how we do in the Good Enuff Garage, even the smallest of bits get media blasted before being powder coated, here's a comparison of a dirty set and one that has been cleaned

someday I will finish rebuilding those

Gregski 09-11-2023 10:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
yes The Greg is dreading doing this part...

the passenger side triangle window seems OK(ish) but the driver side most def needs a rebuild, how many of you have experienced the joy of replacing them rivets ? show of hands please

MDPotter 09-11-2023 12:54 PM

It's not a fun job. Very tedious and kind of a struggle. I found this video helpful: https://youtu.be/WiZOiHmcb_w?si=SqP7FiVnRwmFDAcg

There is a cheap rivet tool that you can get, basically a piece of tool steel with the end machined to mushroom the head of the rivets as you hammer. I actually welded this tool to a c-clamp and it helped, but I found it to be a 2-person job and use the tool as intended with a hammer and find a good setup to backup the other end of the rivet so you can get solid hits.

Gregski 09-12-2023 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 9239239)
It's not a fun job. Very tedious and kind of a struggle. I found this video helpful: https://youtu.be/WiZOiHmcb_w?si=SqP7FiVnRwmFDAcg

There is a cheap rivet tool that you can get, basically a piece of tool steel with the end machined to mushroom the head of the rivets as you hammer. I actually welded this tool to a c-clamp and it helped, but I found it to be a 2-person job and use the tool as intended with a hammer and find a good setup to backup the other end of the rivet so you can get solid hits.

thank you for that link, I have watched and followed Jerry's videos to do my windows in my '54, he does good work

I hope to find a video for when someone does the whole door reinstall cause if you are like me and had a bunch of components missing you don't know what you are missing and what goes where

as far as that crappy punch tool I literally had to get two of them to finish a job once cause they are junk and single use only