The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Happy_dan 04-06-2021 01:55 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Fired it up for the first time with the motor rebuilt. Broke in the cam, changed the oil and topped off coolant and transmission fluid.

pjmoreland 04-06-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 8904642)
Fired it up for the first time with the motor rebuilt. Broke in the cam, changed the oil and topped off coolant and transmission fluid.

Well done!

Happy_dan 04-06-2021 02:46 PM

Thanks to all the help from a local friend, my neighbor, Mr Mud1 from here and all the rest of you. I am not sure if you are aware but people like me that love the hobby but lack the years of experience that you all have, spend hours reading your threads, learning, taking advice and then applying it. This was my first engine rebuild and I think it went great because of the suggestions and the help.

dweikum 04-07-2021 01:40 PM

Door Window Glass Channel install...best 5 minute upgrade so far!

dweikum 04-07-2021 04:13 PM

Moved my Janky shifter up from the floor to between the seats where I can reach it when I need it. Not used to drum brakes all around, and all my other cars are stick so, downshifting is my friend.

Chevys4life 04-08-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 8904401)
Over the weekend we got the frame cleaned and painted.Today, my son got the bed all polished out.

Everything is looking really good!!!

Zone47 04-08-2021 08:45 PM

Today:

Installed a new master cylinder ... but still no rear brakes.

Made 3 new arches for my bed cover out of small PVC

Fixed the transmission mount ... basically installed a solid mount for the T400.

dweikum 04-08-2021 08:54 PM

Installed seatbelt on the passenger side...now my kids can ride with me. :)

Installed a hidden switch relay to the NSS.

After pressure washing the engine compartment inside and underneath (twice) I found my oil leak...pan gasket. :(

mr.mud1 04-08-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 8904672)
Thanks to all the help from a local friend, my neighbor, Mr Mud1 from here and all the rest of you. I am not sure if you are aware but people like me that love the hobby but lack the years of experience that you all have, spend hours reading your threads, learning, taking advice and then applying it. This was my first engine rebuild and I think it went great because of the suggestions and the help.

Hi Dan,great job on the new engine rebuild.i knew you would make out just fine.i could tell by the quality questions you were asking.i was happy to help in some small way.what are friends for?Greg

allchevy58 04-08-2021 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 8905567)
Everything is looking really good!!!

Thanks, can't wait to get it back together.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-09-2021 12:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Today was dip and paint divider day. A board member set me up with the dividers years ago. Some guy name Jim;)

Ol Blue K20 04-09-2021 11:16 AM

Yesterday was steering day. Installed a rebuilt steering box and a rebuilt intermediate shaft. While I was at it, I installed a tilt column I rebuilt a while back. What different driving truck!

Boog 04-09-2021 11:50 AM

It should feel like a brand new truck now!
Standard sector or quick ratio?
I remember one time I put in a power steering sector on my buddie's 67 ramp truck. He said he almost ran it up on a corner curb a couple of times on the way home. :0

Ol Blue K20 04-09-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8905909)
It should feel like a brand new truck now!
Standard sector or quick ratio?
I remember one time I put in a power steering sector on my buddie's 67 ramp truck. He said he almost ran it up on a corner curb a couple of times on the way home. :0

Standard ratio, the last quick ratio on a lifted truck felt squirrely and twitchy. I moved the column an inch and a half closer to the dash. So, yeah a lot different feeling (nice). :metal:

30772 04-09-2021 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slowly but surely getting my 72 K20 project put together.... Reinstalled glass today (with new rubber)

(Complete restoration - Engine/Drivetrain, Fuel system, Suspension, Steering, Paint/Body, etc, etc, etc.....)

Ol Blue K20 04-09-2021 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30772 (Post 8905945)
Slowly but surely getting my 72 K20 project put together.... Reinstalled glass today (with new rubber)

(Complete restoration - Engine/Drivetrain, Fuel system, Suspension, Steering, Paint/Body, etc, etc, etc.....)

Looks good, we need more pics though. ;)

72c20customcamper 04-10-2021 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replaced the clutch fan old one was going all the time . Took it out found the spring was unhooked

SoCoC10 04-10-2021 08:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Swapped out the cluster bezel, painted the needles and added a tachometer. Then went to a morning coffee and cars show.

allchevy58 04-10-2021 11:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We got some more polishing done and tailgate installed.

Ol Blue K20 04-10-2021 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 8906635)
We got some more polishing done and tailgate installed.

It's looking awesome!

pjmoreland 04-11-2021 01:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Started removing the old wood from my bed. Some of it had fungus growing on the bottom of it. Those rusty carriage bolts are a real pain to remove. They just spin in their holes, so I have to clamp them with vise grips or drill them out if they are tight. There are 70 bolts and I'm half way done. Gotta save some fun for tomorrow

Rich72C10 04-11-2021 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wished I had a wood bed ...

Installed a new ACDelco Professional water pump, primed/painted rattle can engine hugger orange and all sealed up with black Permatex the Right Stuff. No little squeak from the engine bay. The old one wasn't all that bad but it got on my nerves when it would squeak.

The orange of the water pump is a bit off but I can live with it. I'll have to, its not like I am repainting the engine LOL!

Steeveedee 04-11-2021 12:54 PM

Nice! I'm betting that a few thermal cycles will tone down the color on the water pump.

Rich72C10 04-11-2021 01:16 PM

that's what I was hoping too. it's sure nice not hearing a peep out of the water pump!

Next up the front end refresh and CPP Front Sway bar install. I hope I notice as much as everything says about those front sway bars.

67C10Step 04-12-2021 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not as significant as some others progress, but I pulled the cross sills from my new bed, scuffed, primed, and painted. Will now blow the rest apart for scuffing and priming soon. Then it is on to finishing the wood. Not sure what direction I am going there just yet. I built some shudders for my house last year and used the shou sugi ban method of charring before staining and really like how it turned out.