The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dewey72 02-23-2015 04:29 PM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7062269)
The sad thing is there's stil more I'd like to do to it and need to get for it. I swear it never ends. :lol:

True that!!!!

ryanroo 02-23-2015 05:21 PM

:waah:

Dieselwrencher 03-19-2015 04:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My wife and I have been house hunting for a little while, and I didn't think it would be happening this fast.... We accepted an offer on a place and I basically have a month to get a truck ready to do moving duties. I had been buying parts for the 76, well now the fastest thing to do is to get the Longhorn going. So, for this time and minute, this is the plan.

I have been selling everything I haven't used or moved in a while. Doing that, I was able to purchase a front bumper. Hopefully it will be here in 3 weeks. It is a RLC Fab bumper. I was going to go with a DIY4X Gauntlet but I wanted my winch covered up. I also got a Champion 12k winch to go in the bumper, and I also got some rear lights for my White Rhino Fab rear bumper.

I bit the bullet and got another display unit for my DD gauge cluster. I still have to decide where to mount it.

Next I finally located 3 more 16.5x9.75 stock type steel wheels. I purchased the black ones from member Special K last year, and haven't been able to find any near me since. I had to go to the infamous Doug's 4 Wheeler's in Pella Iowa to get these. He has nearly anything you want there for a 67-72. He was telling me these wheels are referred to as Co-op wheels because back in the day all the co-ops wanted to run wider tires and keep a stock hub cap to keep the crud off the lug nuts. He also said they are the new trend and he can't keep them in stock. That explains why I've been having such a hard time finding more. He has a lot of cool stuff there and I need to stay away. :lol:

Currently I am waiting for the centers of 3 of my wheels to get opened up so they will fit over the hubs of my D80. Then they can go to be sand blasted, then powder coat. I'm trying to liquidate more stuff so I can buy 35s to put on these too. I still haven't decided on white or black for the wheels and bumpers.

classicthrasher 03-19-2015 06:08 PM

Glad to see some progress!
I might be able able to help you get rid of some parts. Pm me if you would.

ryanroo 03-19-2015 07:25 PM

that front bumper matches the rear pretty good. still want to see the rear painted and mounted...

a front bumer, eh? that gives me an idea...

Dieselwrencher 03-19-2015 07:41 PM

Yeah it does. I've had it mounted, just not painted. I have to decide if I'm adding step notches in the ends before I get it PC'd too.

COS399 03-19-2015 10:35 PM

Looking good. My vote is for white. Good luck with the move. I hope it has a nice big shop.

Dieselwrencher 03-19-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COS399 (Post 7098016)
Looking good. My vote is for white. Good luck with the move. I hope it has a nice big shop.

It has a nice big garage, but not a big shop unfortanately. But, it's only 8 miles from my current shop. I'll have to make do. I'll have to put in a bigger garage door to get any of our trucks in it I believe too. :lol:

doubleb's69 03-20-2015 02:39 PM

Congrats on the house Ryan. Are you doing Cruise to the Ville this year?

Dieselwrencher 03-20-2015 03:39 PM

Thanks Bud. Yeah, I'm doing it again this year. It's August 8th this year. I'll have to get with you on signs sometime.

71blksuper4x4 03-21-2015 05:26 PM

Ryan, are the new red rims 9.75's? In the pic with the hubcap they look more like the 8.25's. It might just be the shadowing playing tricks on me. Trevor

mx289 03-21-2015 09:53 PM

Congrats on the new house and it will be cool to see this old beast rolling again.

Good thing you have been buying parts for it heh ? :lol:

Dieselwrencher 03-23-2015 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 7100258)
Ryan, are the new red rims 9.75's? In the pic with the hubcap they look more like the 8.25's. It might just be the shadowing playing tricks on me. Trevor

Trevor, the red/maroon wheels are 9.75" wide. These wheels have less off set than typical ones and make them look like a smaller wheel. The weird offset should help me out since the D80 is so wide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx289 (Post 7100550)
Congrats on the new house and it will be cool to see this old beast rolling again.

Good thing you have been buying parts for it heh ? :lol:

Thanks, and yeah it's a good thing I've been buying parts for it. Although, I kind of wish I would have banked the money I've spent on the 76 and 72 since January to slap down on the mortgage. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 03-23-2015 08:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm not sure if these maroon wheels went on dual rear ends to convert it to a single rear wheel or what. No one else I know or have spoke with has seen this type of wheel with this much offset in it before. The black wheels seem to be the more common ones. The maroon ones do look odd with a cap on them for sure. They don't look like they'd be that wide by the cap depth. :uhmk:

mcbassin 03-24-2015 08:47 AM

Congrats on the new bumper, winch and wheels....

Dieselwrencher 03-24-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7103726)
Congrats on the new bumper, winch and wheels....

Thanks.

I got a hold of the machinist and the wheels still aren't done. He can't find his fixture to mount them on in his lathe. So now I need to find an axle shaft from a 14 bolt semi float. They're probably all turned into Toyotas by now. :lol:

watahyahknow 03-24-2015 02:50 PM

to bad the wheels are for a floating hub setup or you couldve used a spare shaft stick that through the lathe and just bolt the wheel up with the lugnuts

Dieselwrencher 04-01-2015 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my wheels back from the machine shop. I removed the valve stems and weights, and dropped them off at the sand blaster's. I've been trying to get quotes to get them powder coated, and I'm leaning towards just painting them with a gun. $65/wheel is the cheapest I've gotten quoted. $120 each to do my bumpers, which seems decent to me for bumpers. I ordered a compushift mini for the trans last Friday. I'm hoping to get some more wiring supplies this week too. Hopefully this weekend I can be working on it.

watahyahknow 04-01-2015 11:59 PM

maibe you can buy youre own powdercoat kit
http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-delu...-coat-kit.html
the wheels are small enough to put intoo an old electric oven you could prolly get of graigslist for 20 bucks or so
when that works you could use the heater elements (and the tempsensor?) in a bigger cabinet and do the bumpers too

there have been a few people on the forum that had good results with the homepowdercoat kit and a homemade oven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Um1Xqw_uE

ryanroo 04-02-2015 10:56 AM

I haven't priced them yet myself, but I know my pc guy charges a bit for wheels too. I think they're difficult to do and make sure they come out really nice. I'll find out sometime, I'm going to have the same issue when I get the wheels. Mine only come in black, I want white... naturally.

Dieselwrencher 04-02-2015 02:15 PM

Hey, how's those beaches treating ya? :lol:

I'm more than likely painting them. I can't see dumping that kind of coin in pc'n them when the place won't guarantee the finish. I already get that with a poof can. Haha

ryanroo 04-02-2015 04:26 PM

It's good! We just did some close to the beach open water kayaking a while ago, riden bikes all over the caye, been appropriately sun burned. It's all good.

I'll probably have to have mine pc'ed so they match the bumper, and do they don't look ridiculous. Every time I try to paint suffering it comes out half super, half extra crappy...haha

Dieselwrencher 04-02-2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7116896)
It's good! We just did some close to the beach open water kayaking a while ago, riden bikes all over the caye, been appropriately sun burned. It's all good.

Cool deal! Make sure you take plenty of pics of "all" the scenery there for us less traveling peeps. :lol:

doubleb's69 04-03-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7115492)
I got my wheels back from the machine shop. I removed the valve stems and weights, and dropped them off at the sand blaster's. I've been trying to get quotes to get them powder coated, and I'm leaning towards just painting them with a gun. $65/wheel is the cheapest I've gotten quoted. $120 each to do my bumpers, which seems decent to me for bumpers. I ordered a compushift mini for the trans last Friday. I'm hoping to get some more wiring supplies this week too. Hopefully this weekend I can be working on it.

Looks like Pinkertons.

Dieselwrencher 04-04-2015 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleb's69 (Post 7118017)
Looks like Pinkertons.

It is Bud. Have you gotten the Olds out yet?