The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

pjmoreland 04-12-2021 12:43 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

4 Attachment(s)
Finished disassembling my bed floor. Painted the angled strips to match the body color. Painted the flat strips black.

paul blair 04-12-2021 12:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installing new brake lines, master cylinder and manual valve. I took lots of time and care but found a few leaks. Hope to fix today! Was fun until the leaks.

Bbarbeau 04-12-2021 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took me a while but finally got to the hitch, brake controller, wiring. Got the camper mirrors back on too!

murguia 04-12-2021 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve had this NOS camper step sitting from a prior truck I sold, so today I slapped it on the 68 custom camper. Don’t think I’ll use it but I just didn’t want it sitting
Posted via Mobile Device

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-12-2021 09:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Getting ready to send out the A/C valves, figured to see if they have to be re-plated or somethin'. Few hours later, hopefully they can rebuild these without having to re-plate them.

DT1 04-13-2021 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished redoing my tailgate band. This time I used 3M woodgrain vinyl wrap instead of the tape available from the classic truck sites. It's simple to apply and lasts much longer.

67C10Step 04-14-2021 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit more underhood cleanup and finally finished converting the oil bath breather to paper element. Slipped it back on the old 283. Cover looks terrible but it is covered with pine tree pollen. Dang spring. Now I wish I had painted that master cylinder before I installed it.

72 Super 04-14-2021 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT1 (Post 8907935)
Just finished redoing my tailgate band. This time I used 3M woodgrain vinyl wrap instead of the tape available from the classic truck sites. It's simple to apply and lasts much longer.

That looks really good.

allchevy58 04-15-2021 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT1 (Post 8907935)

Looks good, I used the tape from one of the truck places and it bubbled up and shrank and it's not out in the weather much. Where did you fine the 3M wrap?

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-16-2021 02:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting a lot done on my project, but stretching new lines for the transmission cooler was big to me, means I can mount the cab and bed. The lines were cut on the old ones because the owner favored an auxiliary and completely bypassed the radiator. Came out clean all the way around, but I was especially ecstatic to see the lines lay into the oil pan clip like intended. They slid right in, no real tension on the clip.

Rich72C10 04-16-2021 11:36 AM

Man, that looks so clean - love the paint. I remember when my painted engine looked that good after it was re-installed LOL

So I am going on day two with my truck in the shop for my frontend refresh. Technically it is not what I am doing to the truck but having done! Seems every step they hit a time suck roadblock. It was decided my break lines needed replacing (I bought front/rear lines because I thought they would want to replace them). The passenger side line was frozen/stuck on and some previous owner mucked them up on top of that. Now they are finally into replacing the ball joints. They aren't coming out like they should and are requiring to be heated up with a torch, yet another time suck.

They expect everything to be back together much later today but there won't be enough time to get the front end aligned (different shop). Which I guess that is also time consuming because it requires shims to get aligned. I hadn't even asked for a estimate because they thought they would be done in a day. Now we are looking at two full days of shop and then the alignment on Monday. I kind of started freaking on the call this morning but he assured me he is not counting the clock and so far I am still under my high end number. That is assuming they don't run into more roadblocks. But at least the whole front end, rubber brake lines, and my sway bar will be all done.

It seems Peace of Mind can get costly LOL

Chevys4life 04-16-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8909078)
Getting a lot done on my project, but stretching new lines for the transmission cooler was big to me, means I can mount the cab and bed. The lines were cut on the old ones because the owner favored an auxiliary and completely bypassed the radiator. Came out clean all the way around, but I was especially ecstatic to see the lines lay into the oil pan clip like intended. They slid right in, no real tension on the clip.

Yes............that is one nice looking restoration you have going there!!!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-16-2021 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8909207)
Man, that looks so clean - love the paint. I remember when my painted engine looked that good after it was re-installed LOL

So I am going on day two with my truck in the shop for my frontend refresh. Technically it is not what I am doing to the truck but having done! Seems every step they hit a time suck roadblock. It was decided my break lines needed replacing (I bought front/rear lines because I thought they would want to replace them). The passenger side line was frozen/stuck on and some previous owner mucked them up on top of that. Now they are finally into replacing the ball joints. They aren't coming out like they should and are requiring to be heated up with a torch, yet another time suck.

They expect everything to be back together much later today but there won't be enough time to get the front end aligned (different shop). Which I guess that is also time consuming because it requires shims to get aligned. I hadn't even asked for a estimate because they thought they would be done in a day. Now we are looking at two full days of shop and then the alignment on Monday. I kind of started freaking on the call this morning but he assured me he is not counting the clock and so far I am still under my high end number. That is assuming they don't run into more roadblocks. But at least the whole front end, rubber brake lines, and my sway bar will be all done.

It seems Peace of Mind can get costly LOL

I'm in part's prison myself, A/C pending Original Air's high sign to send, and word is the wiring will take another four months, and that might be optimistic.

Costly is right, and thanks above. While I do most of the work myself less body, finishes and cores, I've probably blown 2K on just do-overs and not quite right and another 4K for the garage.

Have to say the details at this point come at a surprise, already removed the radiator once just to get the lines slid in. Slid the fan shroud in like butter last night to find it's too short for the top brackets, so I'll try cutting the top pads, but I may have to cut the bottoms too, meaning I'd have to re-adjust the trans. lines. And I get to install the fan again only to pull it again, and again and again:metal: The good news is I can slot the slots in the fan shroud if I have to. Should see the old shroud, on one side a hole was drilled three places beyond the factory slots:lol:

EDIT: Radiator pads have little or nothing to do with fitting a shroud:lol: Just ordered two new pads speak of do overs, and looks like the top radiator brackets will need refinishing too. I don't know how GM got those shrouds on right without bending the top bracket, anyone? Could be why so many shrouds were torn up at the bottom by fans. Don't know about small blocks, but the bottom shrouds for a BBC have a clip that slides into the core support.

DT1 04-16-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 8909054)
Looks good, I used the tape from one of the truck places and it bubbled up and shrank and it's not out in the weather much. Where did you fine the 3M wrap?

Amazon
3M DI-NOC WG-430 MARINE TEAK WOODGRAIN 15in x 72in Vinyl

allchevy58 04-16-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT1 (Post 8909381)
Amazon
3M DI-NOC WG-430 MARINE TEAK WOODGRAIN 15in x 72in Vinyl

Thanks, so you cut it to fit? Does it match the original grain and match lower side moulding? Maybe we'll see you around, looks like you have another 67'-72'. We usually go to the inliners show in Minden and misc. shows around Reno- Carson City area.

fourspeedwagon 04-16-2021 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent several hours chasing a no start / electrical problem. I previously had found the hot wire from the battery to ignition had worn through and shorted out. I replaced the wire and it turned over but didn’t start. Checked for voltage to the HEI distributor. 12.4V I thought maybe the module was bad so I took the cap off. Rotor looked like someone took a bite out of it.. a chunk of the rotor was MIA. I went and got a new cap and rotor and put them on. Nothing. Swapped coils- nothing. Swiped the module out of my ‘71 so I’d have a known good unit.Nope. Finally pulled the condenser out of a spare distributor and put that in. Bango! We have fire! Must’ve had that cap off 20 times today.
Still no idea what happened to the rotor and can’t believe that the bits weren’t inside?

DT1 04-17-2021 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 8909392)
Thanks, so you cut it to fit? Does it match the original grain and match lower side moulding? Maybe we'll see you around, looks like you have another 67'-72'. We usually go to the inliners show in Minden and misc. shows around Reno- Carson City area.

Just cut it with a razor knife and straight edge. It's a lot easier to apply than the adhesive tape and is suppose to last longer. It's also a very close match to the repop tape. So close that it doesn't bother me at all.
I have a new, 3" wide roll of the repop stuff for the tailgate band and some for the side molding if you want it or know anyone that does, I'll let it go for free.

Here's a pic of the 72

FL71C10 04-18-2021 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed my back window. Spent at least 2 hours polishing the trim first. No fun getting the gasket on the window and the trim in the gasket. Once we had it done, installing the window itself only took a few minutes. My friend held the window up on the outside and I pulled the rope from the inside. Everything dropped in nicely and it looks nice and tight!

allchevy58 04-18-2021 10:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My son finished polishing and we installed the bed. Time to bring it home and reassemble.

Happy_dan 04-21-2021 07:59 AM

Replaced right front parking light/blinker and took it for it's first ride around he block after the engine rebuild. It seems fine, I am relieved. Great to drive it again. Next trip will be longer as I build confidence.

mr.mud1 04-21-2021 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 8911253)
Replaced right front parking light/blinker and took it for it's first ride around he block after the engine rebuild. It seems fine, I am relieved. Great to drive it again. Next trip will be longer as I build confidence.

great news Dan.i can just imagine it felt awful nice to drive your truck again?
good work.Greg

Rich72C10 04-21-2021 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got my truck back from a complete front end refresh (minus springs), new flex brake lines (front and back) and a flush of the brake fluid. And to top it off with a cherry a CPP Sway Bar.

It's like a completely different truck at every level with its steering and handling - at any speed, any test road, on all kinds of turns/speeds.

72c20customcamper 04-21-2021 01:04 PM

Lost a NOS hubcap off my 85 :whine:

Ekliptix 04-22-2021 10:48 PM

I re-sprayed my C10's door inserts with VHT Vinyl Dye. This stuff works amazing. I used it on my 70 blazer console with great success too.
https://i.imgur.com/O7Me2mKh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uqgiM4eh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/t8TMysJh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xWtnvfmh.jpg

And got some help cleaning the wheels from my 19 month old.
https://i.imgur.com/0Ud9RR2h.jpg

Woodnears 04-22-2021 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally finished this panel and mounted it. I’m embarrassed to say how long this took me!