The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

agnes the dog 03-23-2014 04:29 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

I put on some new shorter gas shocks on the rear. Wow! What a difference. Also put in a new distributor. Still working out the bugs on the timing and carb tuning.

FarmerSid 03-23-2014 07:12 AM

Got firewall finished and drivers floor in.

OrrieG 03-23-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6589617)
It is alive. Put in the new starter, primed the carb, added 2.5 more gallons to the tank and it fired on the first crank. Would not idle, looks like the used carb that was "just taken off a running car" is shot. But it moved under its own power, more detail in the build thread.

Short Video, first time I have tried this, sorry for it being sideways, phone does that, now I know.

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/Or...ipped.mp4.html

hsdropout 03-23-2014 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got first rubber on the asphalt............yee haww.......(forward & reverse).
The 355 is a torque monster!
R&P power steering works excellent..........well..........in the driveway.
Gambled on the 350 TH with new TC and fluids, seems to be good.
Front discs-rear drums good...........well again........in the driveway.

crossfire84 03-23-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsdropout (Post 6590347)
Got first rubber on the asphalt............yee haww.......(forward & reverse).
The 355 is a torque monster!
R&P power steering works excellent..........well..........in the driveway.
Gambled on the 350 TH with new TC and fluids, seems to be good.
Front discs-rear drums good...........well again........in the driveway.

good work! looks great.

OrrieG 03-23-2014 06:50 PM

Switched the gas gauge lines and all is well, but cost me some blood, tight fit up there. Also noticed that one turn signal lamp is dimmly glowing with the key off, so get to start the search for a reason. suspect original 1959 light switch....

lazypineapple 03-24-2014 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mounted front bumper. Tucked it in 3".

dubie 03-24-2014 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had my son out in the shop learning how to handle a spray gun on the weekend. We got the bed in black epoxy on Satuday.

hyatt 03-24-2014 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
took the burb to painter to do his magic

OrrieG 03-24-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 6590649)
Switched the gas gauge lines and all is well, but cost me some blood, tight fit up there. Also noticed that one turn signal lamp is dimmly glowing with the key off, so get to start the search for a reason. suspect original 1959 light switch....

duh, can't be the light switch, brake and turn are not switched...search continues..

tbrown5079 03-24-2014 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bent and installed fuel line. Mounted drivers side mirror. Looks like they are going to work fine!

FarmerSid 03-25-2014 06:37 PM

Some of the firewall and floor work I've been doing. I think I have worn out my hammer and dollies.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_5672.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_5673.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/IMG_5668.jpg

ol'orange 03-26-2014 04:20 PM

yesterday I replaced fuel lines all the way up to the tank, I'll have to finish cleaning the tank and install that, then bend up the remainder of the fuel line. all on the GMC.

BADAZ chevy guy 03-26-2014 04:28 PM

Today... I sat and looked longingly at photos of it and wished it was here so I could work on it. :(

yossarian19 03-26-2014 04:33 PM

Yesterday I build the pipe from Driver's exhaust manifold to where I'll hang the muffler & found a place to put the first exhaust hanger.
Today I ordered some glass packs for it.

youngrodder 03-26-2014 10:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pulled all of the glass out of the 53 suburban.

lgoodso1 03-27-2014 09:48 AM

Started on sandblasting the frame on my 57 3200, word of advice make sure your shop door is closed all the way. Had media all over inside my shop, learned from that one lol.

dubie 03-27-2014 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Put the bed back on after spraying the epoxy primer

Daze57 03-27-2014 12:44 PM

dubie

truck looks great !!! very ''sinister''

Sam03 03-27-2014 03:16 PM

pulled the cab and steering off and started cleaning the frame.

Nev68 03-28-2014 11:43 PM

Started fitting the Vintage air AC kit (what could possibly go wrong?) ;)

tbrown5079 03-29-2014 11:38 PM

Finished the gas line. Had all the fluids in so tried to start. Fired right up and runs real smooth , but no throttle response. Need to hook up the OBD11 port. Seems like no commmunication between the PCM and the throttle body.

OrrieG 03-30-2014 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wiper fluid lines, tighted up fan belts, reviewed list it got much smaller this winter (new on right).

Russell Ashley 03-31-2014 03:28 PM

Man you are more organized than I am. Do you use a spreadsheet, like Excel, to make your to-do lists? How are your headings labeled? I don't have a list like that, I usually just know in my mind what I want to do next and go with it. Or get sidetracked and do something else, LOL.

One thing I have done with this truck is kept a spread sheet with a very accurate listing of parts, date purchased, where I got them, and how much I've spent. I've never done that with a project before.

OrrieG 03-31-2014 04:28 PM

I too have a cost spreadsheet. Both are in excel, headings are Work, Task and Buy. Work is broken down into clean, fabricate, sand, paint and install. Early on it was easy to stay on track without it, but then I found myself going in circles because I had forgotten to buy something, or backtracking. Also needed a sense of what I could do that did not require funds, or like last year over the winter that was not temperature sensitive. I also find that with so much else going on with my business, wifes stuff, taking care of my Dad's affairs, ect. once I get something down on paper my mind can focus on other stuff.

capnduane 03-31-2014 04:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got real tired of looking at the ugly greasy sheet of plywood in the bed of my pickup. But didn't want to spend mucho bucks at this time for a fancy bed redo (with walnut burl wood and polished chrome strips). Ya Right! Maybe someday when I win the Lotto! The original wood and metal is still there, but 60 years old, whats left of it! So, I did what any old carpenter would do under my circumstances, I sided over it. A sheet of T111 exterior siding, a few deck screws, and a quart of "Varathane stain+poly" Doesn't look to bad from 20ft, and If it gets beat up (which it will, cause I use my truck) I can touch it up with more Varathane. The Varathane is water based and goes on nice.:lol:

rollenhard 03-31-2014 04:50 PM

Nice capnduane! Looks brand new

ChuckDriver 04-01-2014 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flushed and re-bleed the brakes. And since I had the wheels off I washed and waxed the back sides. Its an illness I know!!

SCHRUMGMC 04-01-2014 12:32 PM

Just bought a new Air Filter to replace the old one, that was filthy

4DSEVEN 04-01-2014 06:59 PM

Mounted the box and rear fenders. Waiting for the exhaust tip for the other side and will bolt them up. Still have a few things to do but ready for spring.:metal:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...psea2bd284.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 04-01-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 6606106)
Flushed and re-bleed the brakes. And since I had the wheels off I washed and waxed the back sides. Its an illness I know!!

Well, if it's an illness I'm afflicted too!

nvrdone 04-02-2014 09:10 AM

Leaving in a bit & driving the truck for the first time to work. Its 12 miles so shouldn't be a problem. Wish me luck.

Ozzy2013 04-02-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnduane (Post 6604825)
Got real tired of looking at the ugly greasy sheet of plywood in the bed of my pickup. But didn't want to spend mucho bucks at this time for a fancy bed redo (with walnut burl wood and polished chrome strips). Ya Right! Maybe someday when I win the Lotto! The original wood and metal is still there, but 60 years old, whats left of it! So, I did what any old carpenter would do under my circumstances, I sided over it. A sheet of T111 exterior siding, a few deck screws, and a quart of "Varathane stain+poly" Doesn't look to bad from 20ft, and If it gets beat up (which it will, cause I use my truck) I can touch it up with more Varathane. The Varathane is water based and goes on nice.:lol:

Wow looks really good!

lgoodso1 04-03-2014 10:35 PM

Installed new fuel tank in my 57, worked on sandblasting frame parts and steering links. Getting closer to start on getting a rolling frame

brikar 04-05-2014 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
recovered my steering wheel to match the interior

Russell Ashley 04-05-2014 01:25 PM

Sweet! Nice job.

Rednek13x 04-05-2014 01:30 PM

just did a $1,200 order off of summit for my engine

oldman3 04-05-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brikar (Post 6613039)

Very nice work, looks great...Jim

Johnny49 04-05-2014 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Separated the hubs from the front drums, which was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Unfortunately, it was also a lot easier to ruin the hub with the small sledgehammer I was using to drive the studs out, as you can see with the hub in the foreground. Don't know what the heck I was thinking. Didn't even notice it until afterwards. Maybe the wife is right when she calls me "Bam-Bam."

In addition to that little example of amateur genius, you'll notice that the studs are still sticking through the backing ring on the left. That's because they had been welded to the ring. No idea why. I was also reminded what happened when I originally tried to have all the drums turned. Not enough material left to turn on the right front, and one of the rears was warped (according to the shop guy). Which is why I figured all four should be replaced. And because I wasn't being careful with the sledgehammer, now I need the hubs too. I know we'll be able to find them somewhere, just a matter of making it fit within the budget...

Nev68 04-05-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brikar (Post 6613039)

Great job. Can we see it installed?:)