The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My Facetruck thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752660)

special-K 12-25-2021 11:00 AM

Re: My Facetruck thread.

That is sad about your brother also not being 'allowed'. I come from a big family, so what held me back was not being able to afford a set. I never even asked because I felt if my parents got me a set then my siblings should also be given something of equal value. They did buy me a blue sparkle Ludwig snare. The first set I sat behind was when I was in the HS band. They had a set for playing Dixieland jazz. Our concerts included a segment of that. The band teacher despised rock & roll, but often, for whatever reason, he would come into class late. Me and a couple guys on horns would jump into playing soul music. Got in trouble every time when he'd walk in on us :cool:. I also would play on sets my friends, or my older sister's boyfriends. My parents encouraged us all to play music.

By the time my brother started wanting to play, my folks had moved back up to the mountain town my mom came from. He was in the HS band and he had a set of drum pads set up. I never thought to do that. He made drawings of monster drum sets he hung in his room, I could see he really had the desire, and knew it wasn't likely my folks could be able to buy him a set. I was raising a family, running a business, and didn't see me playing in any bands. So, the next time I went up I brought my set to give to him. He took it from there. That was in the mid-80s and drumming has been his only profession.

This gal sounds more experienced than I know she is. She has many riffs and always on time. I never had an instructor, maybe she has a really good one, or maybe teaching techniques have improved. What I notice is her drumming is slowed down a bit. That never occurred to me when I was learning. I think that is the key. Maybe I'm the only one it never occurred to, but I learned by trying to sound exactly like the records. It could have been discouraging enough to make me quit, if I hadn't wanted it so bad.

davischevy 12-25-2021 12:05 PM

Merry Christmas.

LT7A 12-25-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9010946)
Merry Christmas.

Thanks O' Larry. Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

LT7A 12-25-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9010921)
That is sad about your brother also not being 'allowed'. I come from a big family, so what held me back was not being able to afford a set. I never even asked because I felt if my parents got me a set then my siblings should also be given something of equal value. They did buy me a blue sparkle Ludwig snare. The first set I sat behind was when I was in the HS band. They had a set for playing Dixieland jazz. Our concerts included a segment of that. The band teacher despised rock & roll, but often, for whatever reason, he would come into class late. Me and a couple guys on horns would jump into playing soul music. Got in trouble every time when he'd walk in on us :cool:. I also would play on sets my friends, or my older sister's boyfriends. My parents encouraged us all to play music.

By the time my brother started wanting to play, my folks had moved back up to the mountain town my mom came from. He was in the HS band and he had a set of drum pads set up. I never thought to do that. He made drawings of monster drum sets he hung in his room, I could see he really had the desire, and knew it wasn't likely my folks could be able to buy him a set. I was raising a family, running a business, and didn't see me playing in any bands. So, the next time I went up I brought my set to give to him. He took it from there. That was in the mid-80s and drumming has been his only profession.

This gal sounds more experienced than I know she is. She has many riffs and always on time. I never had an instructor, maybe she has a really good one, or maybe teaching techniques have improved. What I notice is her drumming is slowed down a bit. That never occurred to me when I was learning. I think that is the key. Maybe I'm the only one it never occurred to, but I learned by trying to sound exactly like the records. It could have been discouraging enough to make me quit, if I hadn't wanted it so bad.

Very cool how you invested in your brother and look how it paid off! If you still had that sparkle blue ludwig, it would be worth multiple import sets now. In fact, when I started playing, the chrome Ludwig snare kit with stand and case was $300. I had a pad. By remo. I shopped the classifieds and still remember being at my dad's office when I proposed to pay 200 of the $300 for the used Pearl kit that I found. I was really happy when he agreed and didn't realize til years later, that he was probably pretty happy about that deal too, haha. I am learning to play the guitar and had another musician I know recommend that I slow the tempo down until I could get the hang of whatever I was playing. So simple, and makes so much sense, but it never occurred to me either.

Ol Blue K20 12-25-2021 03:46 PM

Merry Christmas!

FleetsidePaul 12-25-2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9010102)
Heyyyyy, I'm a drummer, haha. I guess the annoyance factor with drums is related to the volume and timing. Timing both meaning how well you keep time and what time of the day you're playing. I learned how effective a new kick drum technique was when at a little past 10:00 p.m. my neighbor across the street and two houses down knocked on my door when the song ended and inquired as to how much longer practice would be going on, haha. Oops, sorry man, it's over - now. Whereas with the bagpipes, if they are ever going to be played, they need to be played well. Otherwise, as one of my buddies in junior high commented when our social studies teacher was showing off his bagpipe playing ability: it just sounds like he's squeezing a cat. Now, to avoid putting my bass drum foot in my mouth, I will add a caveat: the bagpipes played well are amazing. And create some of the most heartfelt music I've ever heard. Just not the thing I would want to hear somebody practice, or even listen to very often on the radio. Hence the above commentary, I hope that no bagpipe players were harmed in this post.

Bagpipes? Hmmm. I've never thought of them :devil: and I am of Scottish decent.

But I would probably be buried with them with a tombstone that read "We told him not to get those damn things'. :lol:

My drumming sounds like a set of drums falling down the stairs. And my clarinet playing sounds like I'm choking a goose. I don't think that I could get away with bagpipes.

I play my guitar with headphones. My wife bought them for me.

davischevy 12-30-2021 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My son in law and grandson took my Longhorn to Springfield, MO last week.

The next day my nine year old grandson said "Poppy, you need to get that spot light working." I asked why. He said "In case you need to use it."

Makes sense to me.

72 Super 12-30-2021 11:20 AM

Nothing better than the littles ones telling you exactly what you need to hear ��

BTW Your Blue Truck is looking good!

Ray

special-K 12-30-2021 01:45 PM

Tell him you're not a dummy, your spotlight is

Sounds to me like they were trying to check it out. Might be a good thing it doesn't work :cool:

I agree with Ray. Lookin' good, fresh motor and all

FleetsidePaul 12-30-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 Super (Post 9012751)
Nothing better than the littles ones telling you exactly what you need to hear ��

BTW Your Blue Truck is looking good!

Ray

The little ones do say it how it is.

When my daughter was small (car seat small) we were driving and some idiot cut me off and I cussed him out.

My daughter just looked at me and said "You're not supposed to talk like that in front of little children'

:lol: She was right.

She's 30 years old now and still corrects me. :smoke:

Boog 12-30-2021 02:33 PM

:dohh: Busted!

davischevy 12-31-2021 09:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the dash pad back on the Arkansas K10 today.

special-K 12-31-2021 11:42 PM

Nice to see. That's a good sign of what's to come

LT7A 01-05-2022 01:01 AM

The dash pad looks good. I like that Longhorn too. What size tires do you have on there? It keeps the rolling stock in proportion to the truck which isn't always easy to do with long beds.

special-K 01-05-2022 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9014904)
The dash pad looks good. I like that Longhorn too. What size tires do you have on there? It keeps the rolling stock in proportion to the truck which isn't always easy to do with long beds.

And his is a "longer bed" truck :cool:

davischevy 01-05-2022 11:43 AM

265/75/16

LT7A 01-05-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9014963)
And his is a "longer bed" truck :cool:

Yep, roger that.

LT7A 01-05-2022 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9015016)
265/75/16

Thanks, that's helpful to know.

LT7A 01-07-2022 02:41 AM

[/B]
Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9011087)
Bagpipes? Hmmm. I've never thought of them :devil: and I am of Scottish decent.

But I would probably be buried with them with a tombstone that read "We told him not to get those damn things'. :lol:

My drumming sounds like a set of drums falling down the stairs. And my clarinet playing sounds like I'm choking a goose. I don't think that I could get away with bagpipes.

I play my guitar with headphones. My wife bought them for me.

Hahaha, enjoyed this. Good headstone for a lot of us: We told him not to.

special-K 01-07-2022 08:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My latest small indoor project. After much staring and ponderance, and because I unearthed this chunk of butcher block when clearing out my small barn, I decided to create a countertop extension for the microwave. I made up the butcher block counter top over 30 years ago and this was the cut-out from the sink. As it is now, the microwave sits on a small cabinet between the stove and refrigerator. Having the full surface will be a nice enhancement to my limited space. And convenient to be right next to the stove, rather than across the floor. The space it will take up is where I've always kept the onion and potato containers, on the floor. They'll stay there and there will just be a leg on the outer corner, keeping that area open. Now I'm thinking maybe add a shelf just below the top to create a slot to slip the cutting board into. That will yield another full counter top. When I needed that, I've been standing the cutting board on the rack in the minor sink. Quality of life improvement is what I like to call these little projects

davischevy 01-12-2022 11:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now it has upper cowl insulation, a radio and a couple of switches.

special-K 01-12-2022 11:26 PM

Lookin' better'n new!

Ol Blue K20 01-13-2022 07:20 AM

It's looking great!

special-K 01-13-2022 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9018329)
It's looking grear!

X2, looks really grear! :lol:

LT7A 01-13-2022 07:36 PM

So clean!

72 tigger 01-13-2022 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9018261)
Now it has upper cowl insulation, a radio and a couple of switches.

That is sweet Larry!

Ol Blue K20 01-14-2022 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9018550)
X2, looks really grear! :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out Tim. I fixed it....:lol:

special-K 01-14-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9018800)
Thanks for pointing that out Tim. I fixed it....:lol:

I should be thanking you. I got home early enough to hook up my trailer and head over to the place I get gravel and I took the direct cut cross-country route that a longtime carpenter friend lives on who always says "Stop by and have a beer". He has told me where it is but I never saw the cedar house right after the dip and bend by the old stone house, just vinyl houses. It has nothing to do with your post, but his last name is Grear, but probably spelled Grier, and today I finally noticed his place a bit farther from the dip/bend
/old stone... Pettibone and all. It has to be his place. Now I can go have a beer with my buddy Grear, not Great :lol: Thanks!!

Ol Blue K20 01-15-2022 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9019298)
I should be thanking you. I got home early enough to hook up my trailer and head over to the place I get gravel and I took the direct cut cross-country route that a longtime carpenter friend lives on who always says "Stop by and have a beer". He has told me where it is but I never saw the cedar house right after the dip and bend by the old stone house, just vinyl houses. It has nothing to do with your post, but his last name is Grear, but probably spelled Grier, and today I finally noticed his place a bit farther from the dip/bend
/old stone... Pettibone and all. It has to be his place. Now I can go have a beer with my buddy Grear, not Great :lol: Thanks!!

Glad to help....:lol:

davischevy 02-04-2022 09:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What a difference a few days makes. Last Saturday it was 54 degrees and sunny. Yesterday it was snow and 24 degrees.

special-K 02-05-2022 12:40 AM

Some real personality swings right there. We've been having that, too. Last night the temperature rose to a high around 60 around midnight. A cold front is coming in today. Tomorrow's sunny day high will be 29.

davischevy 02-05-2022 12:34 PM

special-K, we sent that weather your way. I have to apologize, I forgot to warn you.

Tell you what, we will send some warmer temps and sunshine to make up for it.:lol:

Dieselwrencher 02-05-2022 03:22 PM

Larry, it won't hurt my feelings if you send some of that warmer stuff up here and I won't wish for more of the white stuff to stay south. :lol:

special-K 02-05-2022 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9030407)
special-K, we sent that weather your way. I have to apologize, I forgot to warn you.

Tell you what, we will send some warmer temps and sunshine to make up for it.:lol:

I see that. Stiff 15 mph wind today with gusts to 30 and high about 30, though sunny. Only getting better, just a little mixed precip Sunday into Monday, then a dry week of 40s-50s.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9030458)
Larry, it won't hurt my feelings if you send some of that warmer stuff up here and I won't wish for more of the white stuff to stay south. :lol:

I know Other Larry would if Mother Nature would only let him reverse the jet stream. If that was possible I'd be handing a lot of crap weather back to him, Leon, AND YOU!! :lol:

special-K 02-12-2022 12:16 PM

I just want everyone to know I've been inspired by Other Larry's progress. Just a few minutes ago the thought passed through my mind to get some work done on my '72 today. Has anyone seen where it went after it passed through? I can't seem to find it now. I guess I'll have to go ahead and mill up some oak moldings while the sun is shining. Snow tomorrow. I have a couple ceiling lights I want to install. And if I get some molding pre-cut, I'll install some of that

davischevy 02-12-2022 12:19 PM

No progress this weekend. I have three grandsons to entertain. Pray for me.

special-K 02-12-2022 01:52 PM

Ah, you'll be feeling younger come Sunday.

Everything I do on my house is the same as working on my trucks, I figure. The sooner I get things tight around here, the sooner I'll get to my trucks. Got to set priorities. I never plan on selling my trucks, so the house comes first. If they have to wait till the next one, it's good to know I'll have that to look forward to. Hopefully in a righteous shop. I only wish I could pick up another 67-72 to drive in the meanwhile. I'll get my '72 going come Spring. But I won't drive it as much as I'd like until I can give it more time than I can afford. But I am gaining every week, so who knows? Might get to doing more than I'm thinking.

LT7A 02-17-2022 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9033770)
No progress this weekend. I have three grandsons to entertain. Pray for me.

Hahaha, hope it went well.

davischevy 02-28-2022 11:05 PM

I clicked a button somewhere on the WWW and now I'm getting inundated with job offers.

I tried working once but didn't much care for it.

Killer Bee 02-28-2022 11:52 PM

well don't spread that virus around me - I'm allergic to it :lol: