The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

doubleb's69 04-04-2015 11:56 PM

Re: 1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7119968)
It is Bud. Have you gotten the Olds out yet?

I thought Pinkerton quit blasting. Yes I've had the Olds out quite a few times this spring.

Dieselwrencher 04-05-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleb's69 (Post 7119976)
I thought Pinkerton quit blasting. Yes I've had the Olds out quite a few times this spring.

He did for a while. Then he hired his nephew, or someone, to do it for him. That wasn't working too well so he started back at it. I think he had some health issues a few years ago which prompted him to stop doing it.

Dieselwrencher 04-07-2015 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been dumping more money in this thing. I almost pulled the trigger on the dakota digital cruise kit, but ordered a 3 spoke steering wheel, a Boss 7" touch screen dvd/cd player, and new cab lights since I forgot I gave my buddy the harness for mine a while ago. The compushift mini arrived, and I've been working on sanding my grill getting ready to polish and clear it.

gerfunken 04-07-2015 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7123609)
I've been dumping more money in this thing. I almost pulled the trigger on the dakota digital cruise kit, but ordered a 3 spoke steering wheel, a Boss 7" touch screen dvd/cd player, and new cab lights since I forgot I gave my buddy the harness for mine a while ago. The compushift mini arrived, and I've been working on sanding my grill getting ready to polish and clear it.

I ended up going with the Compushift Mini. It's been in the truck for a week now, and I love driving it. Between that and the transmission rebuild, it's been nice to have it back in my garage.

Dieselwrencher 04-09-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerfunken (Post 7123731)
I ended up going with the Compushift Mini. It's been in the truck for a week now, and I love driving it. Between that and the transmission rebuild, it's been nice to have it back in my garage.

Scott, it's nice to hear you have it back home and are driving it.

Dieselwrencher 04-09-2015 04:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yesterday my new steering wheel showed up. Today my new radio showed up. I popped the old one out to see if it would fit. It just barely clears the hvac controls. It is a motorized screen so maybe I can tilt it up a little to be able to see it better. I have been working on my grill shell. What a PITA this is. I really have had a notion to buy a NOS one after doing this. It won't be perfect, but it will be way nicer than any one I've had yet.

Dieselwrencher 04-09-2015 04:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I started by removing the anodizing a couple months back. Then I started pounding out dents and goudges. Now I've been sanding all the imperfections out. I'm at 180 grit and have to go clear up to 1200 or 1500. It should look nice, but it's a real PITA! I got an email that said my front bumper is done too! So when it gets here, I'll test fit it then get it to a coater or paint it myself.

watahyahknow 04-09-2015 06:58 PM

seen a trick a while back about removing zink anodizing with some muriadic hydrocloric acid and baking soda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tld3onsUVE

mcbassin 04-13-2015 08:08 AM

Nice pile of parts Ryan! I like what you have going on the grill too. I know how time consuming that must be. Keep the pictures coming.

Motorfist 04-16-2015 12:34 AM

Awesome truck and great build thread man! It took me several nights of iPad reading in bed to get through it all but worth it! Your suspension, motor and axle swap ambition is amazing to me. Cool fab work too!
Now I need to read the other Ryan's build too :metal:

Dieselwrencher 04-20-2015 04:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorfist (Post 7135157)
Awesome truck and great build thread man! It took me several nights of iPad reading in bed to get through it all but worth it! Your suspension, motor and axle swap ambition is amazing to me. Cool fab work too!
Now I need to read the other Ryan's build too :metal:

Thanks! It has came a long way, but still has a long way to go.

Lately we've had to keep getting things in line for the house deal to go through. Which, has eaten up any spare time to work on anything. I've had roughly zero extra time for any vehicle related stuff......

Last week I recieved my front bumper from James at RLC fab. I cut the turn signal mounting holes from a stock bumper and then welded them in this bumper. I also modified the brackets to use the 6" lights I have had for years and never used yet. They don't fit perfect, but will have to work. I sat my winch in the bumper to see how it looked and if it would clear the intercooler.

Dieselwrencher 04-20-2015 04:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Then on Thursday night I was able to start test fitting the bumper. I had to cut on the lower portion of my old grill to get the bumper to go back far enough. The brackets don't go back far enough either so I will have to make some brackets and weld them on the bumper. Now that I got it on there, I think the winch will fit in there. It'll be close, but should just clear. I'm still waiting on the wheels and stuff to get sand blasted. Hopefully he hurries up. The bumper will have to go there too, before it gets PC'd. Who knows when I'll get to work on it now. We close on our house this Friday, then next week I go to training in Kansas. Then it'll be fix this and change that on the house for a couple months........

notchbackgta 04-20-2015 06:00 PM

Is that a custom bumper from them? I looked and didn't see it. I really like it, simple and good looking

Dieselwrencher 04-20-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7141207)
Is that a custom bumper from them? I looked and didn't see it. I really like it, simple and good looking

I think it is a new version of his large winch bumper he plans to build for the older trucks. His old design was flat on the face. Then he added an angled piece on the top. I didn't want the angled piece on the top. When he designed mine he put the angled piece on the bottom and I thought it would look good. It did. :metal: Hopefully I can get it to PC soon.

watahyahknow 04-20-2015 10:03 PM

that bumper looks nice , its not so big that it sticks out like a sore tumb screaming : HEY LOOK AT ME I WEIGH TEN TONNES AND CAN KILL SMALL KIDS AND SMART CARS BY LOOKING AT THEM MAD
It couldve been factory from the way it looks
realy like it

ryanroo 04-20-2015 11:35 PM

Agreed

mcbassin 04-21-2015 08:02 AM

Bumper looks great Ryan!:metal:

Motorfist 04-21-2015 12:04 PM

I agree too, the bumper looks beefcake but not out of place. Good luck on the move and training. Busy times!

1985-GMC 04-21-2015 02:51 PM

That bumper is sweet! Pretty similar to what I have in mind for mine too.

Dieselwrencher 04-21-2015 03:01 PM

Thanks guys! I picked up the wheels today so I'm hoping to get them painted tomorrow and installed before next week. The bumper has an appointment to get blasted Monday so I have to get the brackets done this weekend.

ryanroo 04-21-2015 07:21 PM

The color shop doesn't blast?

Dieselwrencher 04-21-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7142986)
The color shop doesn't blast?

They do, but they are way more expensive than this guy is. And I bet this old boy does a better job. :metal:

notchbackgta 04-22-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7141444)
I think it is a new version of his large winch bumper he plans to build for the older trucks.

How much does something like that cost? I think I want to go for something exactly like that

CHIZZLER 04-22-2015 04:57 PM

That is a awesome truck.

Dieselwrencher 04-23-2015 09:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7144164)
How much does something like that cost? I think I want to go for something exactly like that

Base large winch bumper is $700 and roughly $75 to ship in the US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIZZLER (Post 7144233)
That is a awesome truck.

Thanks.

Well, last night I got the wheels primed and painted. It was no fun at all. I won't mount them yet because they need to finish curing. In May I will get to mount them. :mm: