The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 02-01-2020 09:07 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

4 Attachment(s)
Put in some time today getting the trans in its final resting place. The mount sits about 3.5” higher than before the dropmember, so to keep from stacking up a bunch of spacers, I cut the crossmember tab off and welded a 1.75” spacer to it. I cut holes to recess the mount bolts—one less thing to drag the speedbumps.

Once mounted, the trans ended up coming into the cab more than I wanted, but the driveline angles are good and everything is clearing. Fluid is filled and shifter is in, now I just need to build a driveshaft tunnel, which is wanting to occupy the same space as my bench seat. I think I’ll rename this truck “5-pound sack”.

gringoloco 02-02-2020 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The old girl got some sun today:

gringoloco 02-02-2020 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:b69:

gringoloco 02-02-2020 08:06 PM

Terrorizing the neighborhood a bit before the game

https://youtu.be/y2vE6yRqlFI

nlped 02-02-2020 08:33 PM

Sounds bada$$

gringoloco 02-02-2020 09:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8671438)
Sounds bada$$

Thanks man. Magnaflows are hanging off the end of the collectors as a temporary exhaust. Hopefully it will maintain some of that aggressiveness once the pipes are run all the way out the back.

Bedtime for blue...

Inverter 02-02-2020 09:37 PM

Slice n dice... So what is your actual ride height at the front cab mount ?
Beautiful stance.

gringoloco 02-02-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 8671468)
Slice n dice... So what is your actual ride height at the front cab mount ?
Beautiful stance.

Thanks, pretty happy with how she sits. There’s right at 4” under the front, 4.75” under the rear cab mount, since I like a little ‘hotrod rake’.

SCOTI 02-02-2020 10:28 PM

Lookin gooooood!

cornerstone 02-03-2020 11:17 AM

I have to agree with SCOTI, lookin real gooood!:metal:

How are you liking the new trans? Any concerns or adjustments needed or is it perfect straight out da crate shiftin like butta?

gringoloco 02-03-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8671503)
Lookin gooooood!

Thanks Scoti!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8671681)
I have to agree with SCOTI, lookin real gooood!:metal:

How are you liking the new trans? Any concerns or adjustments needed or is it perfect straight out da crate shiftin like butta?

Thanks, seems to be good so far. I haven’t had an opportunity to truly test it, but beating on it a little around the neighborhood, I’m very happy with it. Definitely needs a shorter lever, though...

mcm1209 02-04-2020 12:30 PM

Just went through the entire thread! WOW great work. I'm just starting my build. This has given me so many ideas my wallet is gonna hurt! Wife says thanks!! lol

gringoloco 02-04-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcm1209 (Post 8672378)
Just went through the entire thread! WOW great work. I'm just starting my build. This has given me so many ideas my wallet is gonna hurt! Wife says thanks!! lol

Haha, you’re welcome. If not for this forum, my truck would look entirely different than it does now, and not in a good way. Just paying it forward :lol:

TA_C10 02-04-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8672715)
Haha, you’re welcome. If not for this forum, my truck would look entirely different than it does now, and not in a good way. Just paying it forward :lol:

I hear that man... I wouldn't have made it half as far as I am so far and I'm nowhere close to your build. This forum has led me to so many resources I'm so grateful.

Gringo your truck is sounding good, sitting good, and rolling good. Thanks for giving back man.

:chevy:

1971Stepside 02-05-2020 10:11 AM

I'm glad you didn't crush that beer...with the bumper. Truck looks and sounds great.

clay68c10 02-05-2020 07:43 PM

Sounds great and looks great!
I can't wait to be shifting thru the gears in mine.
I did a mid-shift conversion on mine, and just by feel (on the bench) the shifter throws are a bit shorter than in the rear position. Maybe so you can have a longer lever and not end up with a huge throw.

gringoloco 02-06-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8672762)
I hear that man... I wouldn't have made it half as far as I am so far and I'm nowhere close to your build. This forum has led me to so many resources I'm so grateful.

Gringo your truck is sounding good, sitting good, and rolling good. Thanks for giving back man.

:chevy:

Much appreciated. This is why we’re here. You guys get me, others maybe notsomuch :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8672968)
I'm glad you didn't crush that beer...with the bumper. Truck looks and sounds great.

Thanks for the kind words. No beers were harmed in the making of the photo, afterwards however...
Quote:

Originally Posted by clay68c10 (Post 8673289)
Sounds great and looks great!
I can't wait to be shifting thru the gears in mine.
I did a mid-shift conversion on mine, and just by feel (on the bench) the shifter throws are a bit shorter than in the rear position. Maybe so you can have a longer lever and not end up with a huge throw.

Thanks man. Yours looks like a cool project. That mid-shift kit is definitely taller than the stock shifter, likely due to the short-shift pivot. I think mine will be ok with a different lever, though I may still do a Pro-5.0 shifter if I feel it’s needed.

gringoloco 02-06-2020 11:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
New shift lever installed, much better. It’s 6” shorter, bent back toward the seat, and over toward the driver. Throw is waaay better than before and falls right in my hand :chevy:

TA_C10 02-07-2020 11:06 PM

So all this time has gone by, how do you like your radio? And do you have courtesy lights installed in foot wells? If so whatcha got?

gringoloco 02-08-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8674541)
So all this time has gone by, how do you like your radio? And do you have courtesy lights installed in foot wells? If so whatcha got?

Unknown. It looks nice enough, and installed relatively easily, though I did modify it to suit my personal desire to have the knobs closer to the dash. As far as sound, I don’t think I’ll know for a while, it is very low on the list of priorities, heck, the only wiring in the truck right now is the bare minimum needed to run the engine. Same for footwell lighting, but if I do it will undoubtedly be a factory-type setup.

gringoloco 02-15-2020 08:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Made a change to the engine setup. I found a screaming deal on this FAST 4-bbl throttle body, which uses all GM sensors, making it plug-and-play with the Holley Terminator-X. It did take a little bit of playing with the tune to get the idle to cooperate, but overall I am match happier with this setup versus the 90mm stock-style. Bonus: the throttle cable and air cleaner fit just as they would with a carb, which is to say without (much) modification :chevy:

The air cleaner needs paint and I think I’ve changed my mind (again) about the oil fill and knock sensor placement. They are an eyesore and must be eliminated...

knomadd 02-17-2020 11:26 AM

Looking good Chris! I'm liking the direction you're headed with the new look of the engine! And every time I see your truck, it makes me want to go drive Brutus, and stab a T56 into my GTO!

smbrouss70 03-06-2020 03:18 AM

Wow, I've missed a lot. For some reason, I'm not getting emails from this forum anymore.

What's the number on the new stick?

TA_C10 03-06-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8689860)
Wow, I've missed a lot. For some reason, I'm not getting emails from this forum anymore.

Yeah me too man, then I found out you have to pay money for the email alerts! lol.

gringoloco 03-06-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8679928)
Looking good Chris! I'm liking the direction you're headed with the new look of the engine! And every time I see your truck, it makes me want to go drive Brutus, and stab a T56 into my GTO!

Thanks man. You have nice rides for sure
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8689860)

It’s a Hurst 7438, bolt-on 69 Camaro style. Sitting just about perfect. How’s that Core shifter?
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8690036)
Yeah me too man, then I found out you have to pay money for the email alerts! lol.

Well, dang...