The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Alan's Classic 09-12-2011 10:45 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4896492)
Not to confuse the situation, but I use relays to ground also. I did that with air bag compressors, and worked great. No come backs or melted wires.

:uhmk:

Strodder 09-12-2011 10:46 PM

Sorry for that. :haha:

Strodder 09-12-2011 10:48 PM

Instead of powering the compressor, I use the relay to switch on the ground. Make sense? :mm:

Alan's Classic 09-12-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4896506)
Instead of powering the compressor, I use the relay to switch on the ground. Make sense? :mm:

:thumbs:

lyrikz 09-13-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4896497)
Thanks Bubba, and yes I was referring to the terminal locations on the fuse block. Sometimes I can't think of the correct words. ;) I guess the relay will have to wait til I get the radiator support mounted for the last time.

So do I need to connect anything to the terminal #2 on the fuse block? It's showing a switch or sending unit to ground. I don't think I need to connect anything there.

Alan, if you ever have a question about wiring, this guy is a genius with it. I cant tell you how many times i have had a wiring question about air suspension or just my truck in general and he has hit it right on EVERY time.
fixit-p

Awesome guy.

65Custom 09-14-2011 12:37 PM

Lots of progress, looking good!! I'm still not getting notifications on your thread like I used too so I forget to stop by more often

Strodder 09-14-2011 03:32 PM

After I commented, I started to think. I'm about to wire up the fan on the 57 Panel I'm working on. Here's American Auto Wire's diagram. I'm going to install the relay close to the fan.

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/Kust...1050692-XL.jpg

bubba327 09-14-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 4899088)
Lots of progress, looking good!! I'm still not getting notifications on your thread like I used too so I forget to stop by more often

This thread has quit showing up in my mailbox notifications also.
The other threads I am subscribed to are still working... I will have to look into this when I get time

Strodder 09-14-2011 11:49 PM

I made these diagrams to help my customers.

This is how I wire up a compressor for air bags with the relay switching positive power. It can be used for cooling fans also.

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/Kust...1050696-XL.jpg

This one is with negative switching. I think it works best for higher amp draws. Use a 30/40 amp relay. I never had overheated wires or terminals this way.

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/Kust...1050694-XL.jpg

Alan's Classic 09-15-2011 12:12 AM

Just a quick note, I'm not getting all the notifications either from any threads. I think I got two notifications all day from other threads. It's really sporadic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Strodder 09-15-2011 12:19 AM

I get all the notices. No problem here. ;)
Maybe it your Smart Phone settings?

VA72C10 09-15-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4900252)
Just a quick note, I'm not getting all the notifications either from any threads. I think I got two notifications all day from other threads. It's really sporadic.
Posted via Mobile Device

who's your email carrier? I'm looking into it...

FetchMeAPepsi 09-15-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4900252)
Posted via Mobile Device

You may know it already but for those that don't, you have to visit the forum every time you get a notice from a thread in order to get another notice. You only get one notice from a thread before they require you to visit to reset your notifications.

I think it's one of the most annoying things ever so I just set up cron jobs to visit the forums every few minutes to keep me updated :)
:mm:

VA72C10 09-15-2011 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 4900309)
You may know it already but for those that don't, you have to visit the forum every time you get a notice from a thread in order to get another notice. You only get one notice from a thread before they require you to visit to reset your notifications.

I think it's one of the most annoying things ever so I just set up cron jobs to visit the forums every few minutes to keep me updated :)
:mm:

I understand the frustration with that and used to feel the same way....but now with close to 5000 subscribed threads I appreciate that I'm not sent an email for every new post :haha:

I already get well over a hundred emails a day from this site...it'd be more like 5-600 if i got one for every single post :chevy:

Alan's Classic 09-15-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4900294)
who's your email carrier? I'm looking into it...

I use yahoo. I check my build at least once a day and here lately I hardly get any notifications of new post. There are a couple post I get notifications daily and haven't checked that particular thread for some time. Thanks for looking into it. ;)

VA72C10 09-15-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4900929)
I use yahoo. I check my build at least once a day and here lately I hardly get any notifications of new post. There are a couple post I get notifications daily and haven't checked that particular thread for some time. Thanks for looking into it. ;)

No prob...I'll let you know when I find out something...one way or another :D

VA72C10 09-15-2011 01:34 PM

Whenever you log onto the forum you'll (or at least should) get new notifications for ALL threads you've subscribed to...not just the ones that you've actually visited.

Can you check and make sure a notification email didn't get into a spam folder possibly? That is a problem that's been mentioned...

Alan's Classic 09-15-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4900958)
Whenever you log onto the forum you'll (or at least should) get new notifications for ALL threads you've subscribed to...not just the ones that you've actually visited.

Can you check and make sure a notification email didn't get into a spam folder possibly? That is a problem that's been mentioned...

If I go to user cp when I sign in I can see all updated threads.

I did get one notification just now for you recent reply. I didnt get one for your last message. I check spam about every other day and haven't seen anything there.
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 09-15-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 4900997)
If I go to user cp when I sign in I can see all updated threads.

I did get one notification just now for you recent reply. I didnt get one for your last message. I check spam about every other day and haven't seen anything there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Liz mentioned that others have had issues with Yahoo mail. Try this:

Quote:

The first thing for him to do is to add the site to the allowed email or safe senders list. The second is to check his spam settings, and ensure he is allowing site mail.
I'm pretty sure the spam thing isn't it but see if you add the site to the allowed list if that helps...

Palf70Step 09-15-2011 03:23 PM

Yep. Yahoo (& ATT) were blocking/auto-spamming my responses also. I use another account for my board(s) e-mail.

65Custom 09-15-2011 06:32 PM

since my last visit i have not gotten any notification from your thread

I am aware that you have to visit to keep getting updates and I also get mail from this site on one thread that I rarely visit and then I got the updates today on 198Plus build which i posed a comment last night

I am using Yahoo and it has not been an issue in the past until the last few months I suppose I will follow Liz's advice and see if it changes anything

Thanks

198plus 09-15-2011 07:31 PM

Alan I don't get notifications from your thread either.........I think your thread has screwed the Internet up with your view count and post :lol:

Alan's Classic 09-15-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyrikz (Post 4897109)
Alan, if you ever have a question about wiring, this guy is a genius with it. I cant tell you how many times i have had a wiring question about air suspension or just my truck in general and he has hit it right on EVERY time.
fixit-p

Awesome guy.

Thanks for the info. :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 4899088)

Thanks Kevin, my notifications are hit-n-miss

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4900222)
I made these diagrams to help my customers.

This is how I wire up a compressor for air bags with the relay switching positive power. It can be used for cooling fans also.

This one is with negative switching. I think it works best for higher amp draws. Use a 30/40 amp relay. I never had overheated wires or terminals this way.

Thanks for the pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4901071)
Liz mentioned that others have had issues with Yahoo mail. Try this:

I'm pretty sure the spam thing isn't it but see if you add the site to the allowed list if that helps...

I signed into yahoo at home and can't find where it is i need to go to add the site to be allowed. Why does it work good at times then it doesn't?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 4901308)
since my last visit i have not gotten any notification from your thread

I am aware that you have to visit to keep getting updates and I also get mail from this site on one thread that I rarely visit and then I got the updates today on 198Plus build which i posed a comment last night

I am using Yahoo and it has not been an issue in the past until the last few months I suppose I will follow Liz's advice and see if it changes anything

Thanks

I have gotten 2 notifications today for this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 4901405)
Alan I don't get notifications from your thread either.........I think your thread has screwed the Internet up with your view count and post :lol:

:haha: you might be right. ;)

I'm still running wires inside the cab. Nothing really to post about as far as progress.

Strodder 09-15-2011 09:06 PM

I'm doing the fan wiring on the 57 Panel. When I'm done I'll post pictures.

65Custom 09-15-2011 09:38 PM

I followed Liz's Advice and it seems as though it may have worked, I just got the e-mail so maybe it is working now!!!

To Do what Liz suggest is basically just adding the e-mail address of the e-mail from the site to your contact list

bubba327 09-15-2011 10:45 PM

I am using MSN for my mail. I am subscribed to a lot of threads here but not all are sending a notification of at least one new response or bump to the thread.

Dennis Why are you switching grounds???
When I was programming DC systems I know you can either sink or source a DC signal... I was just wondering why you choose to do it this way..

I always hate the thought of switching a neutral (in AC ) or a ground (in DC) . If the ground wire shorts out before it gets to the relay contacts , the load is energized on with no way to shut it down. in a motor load this can be dangerous.
But, If the hot lead is switched through the contacts then to the load, And something shorts , the fuse blows, if the ground shorts after the load , well it is grounded anyway, no problems

Strodder 09-15-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 4901799)

Dennis Why are you switching grounds???
When I was programming DC systems I know you can either sink or source a DC signal... I was just wondering why you choose to do it this way..

I always hate the thought of switching a neutral (in AC ) or a ground (in DC) . If the ground wire shorts out before it gets to the relay contacts , the load is energized on with no way to shut it down. in a motor load this can be dangerous.
But, If the hot lead is switched through the contacts then to the load, And something shorts , the fuse blows, if the ground shorts after the load , well it is grounded anyway, no problems

I mount the relay close to the Compressor, or in this case the cooling fan. Small chance of anything shorting the ground to ground. I've been doing it this way for years and never had a comeback or a problem. The other way is good too if you use the correct size wires, and have good connections. You can also have a problem if the plus wire shorts to ground.

Alan's Classic 09-16-2011 12:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 4901667)
I followed Liz's Advice and it seems as though it may have worked, I just got the e-mail so maybe it is working now!!!

To Do what Liz suggest is basically just adding the e-mail address of the e-mail from the site to your contact list

I'll try that, thanks.

A few pics of progress, not much to see. The mess in the floor is organized madness. ;)

Alan's Classic 09-18-2011 12:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Blasted the inside trim panels. Both are done.

I also need some suggestions on which steering wheel to use. Ya'll got any?

Here's a pic of a Impala wheel. Don't know if I want an OE look or a billet.

chad64chevy 09-18-2011 10:02 AM

i say go with the billet! that grey would liked of match the roof, the chrome on the wheel would match the inside pieces and since you've customized your truck that impala steering wheel wouldnt look right to me!! but thats just my .02 cents

Strodder 09-18-2011 10:15 AM

I put this one on the 57 Panel I'm working on.
http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/Kust...P1040502-L.jpg

You can also get a 59 wheel that is made into a 15" er.

http://htsmall.classicchevy.com/asse...sku/53-223.jpg
http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-st...1959-1960.html

flips72 09-18-2011 01:37 PM

if you could find 59 impala wheel in gray that would be nice, just cant get enough of that dash, man that thing is sweet.

65Custom 09-18-2011 05:19 PM

I vote for the Billet wheel!!

Palf70Step 09-18-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4905356)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4905665)
if you could find 59 impala wheel in gray that would be nice, just cant get enough of that dash, man that thing is sweet.

Definetly like the idea of the 59 wheel and the one strodder showed can be painted to match your gray.

gimmy 64 09-18-2011 07:39 PM

you have an impala dash you should go with impala steering wheel

198plus 09-18-2011 07:40 PM

Impala

Alan's Classic 09-18-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 4905341)
i say go with the billet! that grey would liked of match the roof, the chrome on the wheel would match the inside pieces and since you've customized your truck that impala steering wheel wouldnt look right to me!! but thats just my .02 cents

Since the Impala wheel is paintable, I'm leaning that way. Thanks for the input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4905356)

I'm liking it. Maybe just paint the top and bottom section of the band between the chrome rings the same color silver as the roof and gauge pods. Leaving the center and left and right hand grips black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 4905665)

Thanks, Man!! What about the idea I mentioned above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 4906010)
I vote for the Billet wheel!!

I was thinking billet til I saw the Impala wheel is paintable. BTW, thanks for the input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 4906115)
Definetly like the idea of the 59 wheel and the one strodder showed can be painted to match your gray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmy 64 (Post 4906265)
you have an impala dash you should go with impala steering wheel

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 4906269)
Impala

:agree: X3

The wiring is done unde the cab. :haha: That's what it looked like once I got under it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...-09-18_001.JPG

Not sure about this route for the wires. Trying to keep it in the rails and away from the headers. These wires are for the starter, lights, and horn so far. I will keep them away from the A arm if I decide to run it this way for sure.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...-09-18_002.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...-09-18_003.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...-09-18_004.JPG

And routed up under the battery on the right rail.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...-09-18_005.JPG

4dranch 09-18-2011 09:04 PM

Looking nice Alan, and nice choice on the steering wheel.

Strodder 09-18-2011 09:48 PM

Alan, just an idea, get some small PVC, and run the wires through it. You can clamp the PVC to the inside of the inner fenders.

Alan's Classic 09-20-2011 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 4906465)
Looking nice Alan, and nice choice on the steering wheel.

Thanks David.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 4906592)
Alan, just an idea, get some small PVC, and run the wires through it. You can clamp the PVC to the inside of the inner fenders.

I'll look into that some more. In hind sight I should have welded some tubing up inside the channel of the inner fenders. That way I could route and protect the wires to the radiator support.

Got some relays for the headlight upgrade.

Also brushed another coat of urethane on the wood. I know ya'll are tired of seeing pics of the wood (so am I), but it is driving me crazy. I know the way I want it too look.