The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

bubba327 01-20-2011 12:44 AM

Re: Daverods project 66

Great score..
I have that same HF parts washer, the red and blue one..
Do not use Simple Green in it or you can watch all the paint peel off!! I am not sure what to do with it now.:uhmk:

daverod 01-20-2011 12:45 AM

I blasted some valve covers in about 2 minutes. I love it no dust. I wonder if I could do my gear box?

daverod 01-20-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 4424781)
Great score..
I have that same HF parts washer, the red and blue one..
Do not use Simple Green in it or you can watch all the paint peel off!! I am not sure what to do with it now.:uhmk:

Strodder put green in his. I don't think it took his paint off. I put the purple stuff from k mart in it. It seems to work good.

watahyahknow 01-20-2011 01:05 AM

i've seen pictures of a blaster that was adapted for longer objects like steeringracks and driveshafts the guy made new doors to replace the original ones with some old ducting screwed to it one end of the ducting had a door in it , it could move the part from one end to te other while blasting it in the middle

daverod 01-20-2011 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was thinking the same thing. I might have to do it. If I do I'll do it on the left hand side and leave the door alone.

Strodder 01-20-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4424786)
Strodder put green in his. I don't think it took his paint off. I put the purple stuff from k mart in it. It seems to work good.

Yup, no problem. Paint is still on it. I'm trying out this Simple Green. It's made for parts washers. I just ordered this from these guys. I also get all my flap disc', cut off wheels and more. They last longer than HF crap, and a good price. Check out all the other stuff.

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com...Green-1/Detail

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com...reme1Gal_1.png

daverod 01-21-2011 12:35 AM

Got my new shocks. Put the front ones on, then I got side tracked. Blasted stuff the rest of the night.:lol: Tomorrow I'll do the rear shocks and mount the new brackets. Guess I have to remove some riviets. I knew I should have left my bed off. Ordered a rear sway bar and a adjustable track bar. Seems like the new shocks make my front sit higher. They are stiffer.

bubba327 01-21-2011 11:41 PM

I have simple green max . I diluted as jug recommended and the paint on the parts washer just lifted and blistered with in a couple of days , Peeled off in big patches. I called simple green tech support and they said "Not for use on painted surfaces".
I drained it and I sprayed WD-40 on it just to keep the metal from rusting. Have not used it since. Any ideas on what to paint it with again??
I just bought a 5 gallon plastic gas can to keep it in and use a rubber pan to wash stuff in. takes up less space.......:uhmk:

watahyahknow 01-22-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 4429048)
I have simple green max . I diluted as jug recommended and the paint on the parts washer just lifted and blistered with in a couple of days , Peeled off in big patches. I called simple green tech support and they said "Not for use on painted surfaces".
I drained it and I sprayed WD-40 on it just to keep the metal from rusting. Have not used it since. Any ideas on what to paint it with again??
I just bought a 5 gallon plastic gas can to keep it in and use a rubber pan to wash stuff in. takes up less space.......:uhmk:

prolly need some a chemical resistand two pack paint or powdercoat it

daverod 01-22-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba327 (Post 4429048)

Refund.:lol:Just go buy another use this one for parts. You know the motors going to go anyway. Use the old tub for a planter.:lol: Trying to put my rear shock brackets on. Can't get the u bolts to line up with the relocating brack.Suck gave up. Guy in the brown truck came. Blasted and painted a bunch of small parts, painted my gas tank silver. Laided out my stabilizerbar and track bar. Wished I hade'nt put my bed on.:ito:

daverod 01-23-2011 07:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
:ito: Put my parts on. :uhmk:

tommys66 01-23-2011 09:13 PM

nice score on the cabinet and washer! I love my cabinet, wish i would have bought one years ago.

bubba327 01-25-2011 11:34 PM

Looks good Dave! So what do you think of the rear sway bar?
Now I have to get one so I can keep up with you!!
Have you driven it and can you tell a difference? I know it is a huge difference having a front sway bar.
Is the track bar solid or a tube? That is probably a stronger mounting bracket than mine. :sumo:
I attached mine behind the trailing arms cuz that is where it lined up. Never thought putting about a bend in it.....:smoke:
my adjustable bar seems to work okay so far!

Alan's Classic 01-26-2011 12:48 AM

Nice Dave!! Digging the new parts and tools. I can't keep up with you and all of your progress. ;)

daverod 01-26-2011 11:29 AM

I haven't drove it yet. I was a dumbA$$ and when I was putting my shocks on I dropped the nut for the bottom of the shock. I grabbed what I thought was it and with my new impact gun in hand proceded to stripped the $hit out of the fine threads with a course thread nut. So got a new bolt coming. I'm pretty sure the trac bar is solid. ;) The truck sure feels different. Just a lot more stiff and solid. Can't wait to drive it. If the snow ever melts. I don't think you would like the rear bar Bubba. It kinda hangs low. Not good for a farm truck.

watahyahknow 01-26-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4439718)
I haven't drove it yet. I was a dumbA$$ and when I was putting my shocks on I dropped the nut for the bottom of the shock. I grabbed what I thought was it and with my new impact gun in hand proceded to stripped the $hit out of the fine threads with a course thread nut. So got a new bolt coming. I'm pretty sure the trac bar is solid. ;) The truck sure feels different. Just a lot more stiff and solid. Can't wait to drive it. If the snow ever melts.

unless you can trade the shock in at the store as a factory reject its historie anyway , cant you retread the stump or weld another piece of tread on there ? maibe of one of the old shocks perhabs .

i once made a simulair misstake , i was about 16 and working 3 jobs and 12 hour days but still broke , i had bought a cheap torqwrench and i was real happy with my new tool making me look more like a real mecanic , i used it to torq down the cylinderhead on my 50cc kreidler moped , that engine is all aluminium and doesnt need a lot of torq .
because of that the click on the wrench when torq is reached was unnoticable so i kept going untill the treadends where pulled all the way out of the engine , it was an expensive misstake and i was on my bicycle for about a month untill i had all the parts to fix it again,
those where the days ........:uhmk:

daverod 01-26-2011 03:22 PM

Here's my first motor bike screw up. Changed the plug did'nt know a car plug would'nt work.:lol: Kicked it over and put a hole in the top of the cylinder.:uhmk: I got a new bolt coming $20 for two what a deal.

daverod 02-05-2011 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody know if this trans has a trans mount? It has a flat area to the right that looks like it should sit on a mount? Just wondering, mines not really mounted to anything. There's nothing under the flat area.:uhmk:

66-PMD-GMC 02-05-2011 06:12 PM

You would need to drill and tap the 3/8-16 holes (I think it is) for the trans mount if you wanted to use the cross member. Depending on the surface, the pad may need to be flycut, or not..
Otherwise the stock truck configuration is the transmission is hanging on the bell housing and the bell housing is normally perched on mounts of it's own.
;)

:gmc2:

daverod 02-05-2011 06:17 PM

Thanks Bud. Just wanted to make sure I did'nt miss somthing.;)

ruffrida2005 02-05-2011 10:45 PM

Just put a crossmember under it and use a rachet strap. No need to get all fancy with bolts.

watahyahknow 02-06-2011 01:16 AM

naaah some tiewraps 2 by 4 and ducktape that'll do it

bubba327 02-06-2011 12:40 PM

A 2 X4 and hay bale wire works just fine:lol:

daverod 02-06-2011 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going with spray foam and some clear caulk. I think it will hold it just fine.:lol: hell they built the Teton dam out of it I'm sure it will hold.:smoke:

daverod 02-06-2011 05:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well at least it's closer to where it needs to go. Painted my gas tank. Put my last plate in the bed of my 64. Need to make a cab lifter.:uhmk: