The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

evilokc 06-30-2019 10:22 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8550226)
Cruise night...

beautiful dude.

MARTINSR 07-01-2019 01:23 AM

Well....................I don't know if I accomplished a thing today though I worked MANY hours on that hood. l have chopped many tops, did a VW Bug in one day, start to primer, done. I don't play around, my truck's roof was lengthened and I raked the windshield posts too to get the exact look I was after. That all being said, chopping the top is like making a paper airplane next to sectioning this hood!

I had a plan, was rolling with it, now I am thinking of going back to the original plan.

I am beat out of my mind right now, ready to collapse.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 07-01-2019 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8551113)
took about 4 hours to find out the fix was a 2 second fix. always how it goes.

That's why this hobby is so fun :crazy:

mr48chev 07-01-2019 11:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My wife calls it re-arranging the yard art.

I cut up the 77 Duaiie suspension donor frame and sat the front suspension and rear springs on the back of the 51 1-1/2 ton along with some other axles and the Jag XJ suspension and turned it around and got it to the other side of the yard out of the way of work on the shop and some other needed work.

Pulled one of the donor cabs for the 48 stretched cab out and have to figure out where I am going to put it until the shop is finished. An acre isn't big enough at times.

That doesn't sound like real progress but it gets me headed in the right direction.

MiraclePieCo 07-02-2019 01:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my seats back from the upholsterer today. Will install them tomorrow.

oldman3 07-02-2019 09:05 AM

I'm out of the slammer, I'm free. Seats look good...Jim

evilokc 07-03-2019 12:11 AM

washed the truck today with soap and everything! sadly the ugly didn't come off. its about time to shoot some fresh primer.

idbeast 07-04-2019 01:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the exhaust taken care of today, 2 1/2" with electric cutouts in front of rear tires, and Magnaflows and pipes out the rear!

MARTINSR 07-04-2019 09:44 AM

Sweeeet!

Me, I got nothing done.

Brian

Marty68 07-04-2019 02:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Went to a car show 40 miles away. 100 cars got a trophy.
I have seen the multi colored (is it chopped) truck around for years. I like some of the things done to it

MARTINSR 07-05-2019 10:26 AM

All I did yesterday was removed the Corvette intake and parts off my 235 and box them up for my move.

Brian

SouthFlorida_Apache 07-05-2019 01:44 PM

What seats?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8551724)
Got my seats back from the upholsterer today. Will install them tomorrow.

MiraclePieCo 07-05-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthFlorida_Apache (Post 8553483)
What seats?

68 Chevelle.

idbeast 07-06-2019 01:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
It moves!!!

idbeast 07-06-2019 01:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It has 2 1/2" exhaust with electric cutouts, and flanges just behind the rear end just in case the tank needs to come out! Boy it's a tight fit!

DransportGarage 07-06-2019 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8553821)
It moves!!!

MAJOR milestone! DING, DING, DING !!!

idbeast 07-06-2019 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8553825)
MAJOR milestone! DING, DING, DING !!!

I drove it a mile and a half into town for the Littlerock Parade, then back home! Very small town, grade school, church, Post office, gas station grocery store, and a Tavern!!! LOL The truck was a big hit!!!

Black_Sheep 07-06-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8553827)
I drove it a mile and a half into town for the Littlerock Parade, then back home! Very small town, grade school, church, Post office, gas station grocery store, and a Tavern!!! LOL The truck was a big hit!!!

Very cool, I bet you had an ear to ear grin. If that doesn’t give you the motivation to take your build to the finish line, nothing will...

crossfire84 07-06-2019 07:41 AM

Very nice work.

svr 07-06-2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8553827)

Very cool, it's a show stopper for sure, get it finished and kill some bugs, congrats on the progress.

MARTINSR 07-06-2019 12:06 PM

Yep, very cool!

Brian

nvrdone 07-06-2019 12:17 PM

so yesterday I worked on a major dent in my cab. it was on the right side between the fresh air vent and the fender line. removed the inside cover for the fresh air vent and used a porta power from the inside. moved it about 3/8" and it sure looks better. cab now matches the contour of the fender. a little filler, sanding and primer should make it real good. then I need to figure out how to fix the matching dent on the left side.

DransportGarage 07-06-2019 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8553994)
so yesterday I worked on a major dent in my cab. it was on the right side between the fresh air vent and the fender line. removed the inside cover for the fresh air vent and used a porta power from the inside. moved it about 3/8" and it sure looks better. cab now matches the contour of the fender. a little filler, sanding and primer should make it real good. then I need to figure out how to fix the matching dent on the left side.

A P.O. must have driven it through Needles, S.D. ...

nvrdone 07-06-2019 10:57 PM

nice idea, but my story is even better. about 15 years ago, I rear ended a ford expedition. impaled the radiator on the water pump, buckled the hood & front fenders & bent the cab. A few years later my wife found me a replacement front clip that is in great shape. I put that on & just drove the truck. Now that ive retired, I am starting to do some work to the truck & bring it back to being a good driver.

idbeast 07-07-2019 12:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone, drove it 50 miles today, working on a couple issues with the FiTech, but I got it worked out and then stopped at a car get-together with 10 other cars and the '56 was a big hit!!! https://www.facebook.com/Farmboydriveinrestaurant/

MARTINSR 07-07-2019 12:27 AM

Right on!

Brian

idbeast 07-07-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8554224)
A P.O. must have driven it through Needles, S.D. ...

I watched a full size bus drive through that very opening during the 75th Sturgis anniversary scraping both sides and top on the way through!!!! Think I still have the pictures somewhere!

MARTINSR 07-07-2019 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing done on the truck other than finding some parts I didn't know I had! OMG some times I honestly feel like vomiting with stuff like this. Vomiting or punching my fist through the wall, one of the two.

I am running passenger car brakes and hubs on my truck. Sooooooo, I had a front suspension from a 50 Belair that I was going to run but ended up scraping but keeping the hubs and stuff for my dropped axle. One of the backing plates was messed up where a wheel had came off and wore a half inch or so off the plate on the highway. I thought and thought about building it back with weld, I cleaned it up, thought about it, then got another from a guy that I was getting some other parts from. When I got them, the backing plates he gave me were wrong, so I contacted him again and he sent me the right ones. I bought U bolts from him, and the rubber bumper thingies that go on the axle. Then I found that I screwed up and had two left hand shock mounts sand blasted and epoxy primed, crap, I got the right from from that same guy, along with the correct spacers for the backing plates to use them on truck spindles. I rebuild the hubs I had with all new studs because those sucked. My story being I put a BUNCH of time into those passenger car hubs, backing plates and what not.

Sooooooooooo a couple of day ago I am clearing stuff out of my shed for my move and find boxes full of hardware for passenger car backing plates and front shock brackets and U bolts and axle bumpers! WTH? I don't even remember ever having these! Then later I found a milk crate with complete hubs, backing plates, brake drums, EVERYTHING! WTH?

I am now just vaguely remember having this stuff on the axle I had, still don't know where I got it! Geeeez, no kidding, I have to get over this and get some sleep, geeez.

Brian

idbeast 07-07-2019 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8554367)
Nothing done on the truck other than finding some parts I didn't know I had....

….I am now just vaguely remember having this stuff on the axle I had, still don't know where I got it! Geeeez, no kidding, I have to get over this and get some sleep, geeez.

Brian

Brian, it just gets worse as we get older... I'm quickly coming up on 60, so I'm learning, or actually forgetting!

Jim W

Livemeyer 07-07-2019 05:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sometimes I think this should be "what did you do to your truck this week" rather than "today."

My truck, Mabel, went into the shop June 17 for new aluminum 64cc heads on the sbc 327. I got her back on June 29. While gone, the shop couldn't use the ram's horn manifolds on the new heads, but had a set of stainless headers for me. It was an added cost I hadn't planned on, but it was what I wanted so I was happy.

Had been scheduled to go to muffler shop on 7/2 but had to go a week early for full custom exhaust since it now was running open headers.

June 29 got the truck back from shop one but returned to shop two because we were waiting on the right tips to come in. Meanwhile, I put the cardboard headliner in and mounted the visor on the driver's side (still have to do the one on passenger side).

Being as this truck is a tribute to some special people, Ralph and Mabel Mahar, who created a non-profit family campground in Oregon, I received my Mahar Park graphics (16" stickers) and applied them to the doors.

What else did I do? Oh yeah, took her for her longest drive ever, round trip 40 miles, part freeway drive. She did great, but I discovered gearing is a bit low for anything over 60mph.

Photos:

DransportGarage 07-07-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livemeyer (Post 8554624)
Sometimes I think this should be "what did you do to your truck this week" rather than "today."

My truck, Mabel, went into the shop June 17 for new aluminum 64cc heads on the sbc 327. I got her back on June 29. While gone, the shop couldn't use the ram's horn manifolds on the new heads, but had a set of stainless headers for me. It was an added cost I hadn't planned on, but it was what I wanted so I was happy.

Had been scheduled to go to muffler shop on 7/2 but had to go a week early for full custom exhaust since it now was running open headers.

June 29 got the truck back from shop one but returned to shop two because we were waiting on the right tips to come in. Meanwhile, I put the cardboard headliner in and mounted the visor on the driver's side (still have to do the one on passenger side).

Being as this truck is a tribute to some special people, Ralph and Mabel Mahar, who created a non-profit family campground in Oregon, I received my Mahar Park graphics (16" stickers) and applied them to the doors.

What else did I do? Oh yeah, took her for her longest drive ever, round trip 40 miles, part freeway drive. She did great, but I discovered gearing is a bit low for anything over 60mph.

Photos:

Cool upgrades for a cool truck! Nice week of work!

nvrdone 07-07-2019 07:59 PM

that ride is fantastic!! looking forward to seeing it at a local show. By the way, who did your exhaust ?

MiraclePieCo 07-07-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livemeyer (Post 8554624)

Photos:

I'm loving that green on orange!

Livemeyer 07-07-2019 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8554691)
that ride is fantastic!! looking forward to seeing it at a local show. By the way, who did your exhaust ?

Are you local to Seattle? Brody's in Lynnwood at 188th & 99. They do awesome custom exhaust.

Livemeyer 07-07-2019 08:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My wife want to go for a cruise, so we headed up to Everett, for Der Wienerschnitzel chili dogs. When I got back I installed the passenger side visor, and fixed the driver's side, which was sagging and "walking."

Livemeyer 07-07-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8554691)

I see now you're in Duvall. I anticipate taking Mabel to her first show September 8, the Edmonds car show. I missed taking her to Greenwood car show June 30 by thaaaat much.

MiraclePieCo 07-09-2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livemeyer (Post 8554727)
My wife want to go for a cruise, so we headed up to Everett, for Der Wienerschnitzel chili dogs. When I got back I installed the passenger side visor, and fixed the driver's side, which was sagging and "walking."

I saw your fix on that other forum. You might want to tell these guys how you did it.

MiraclePieCo 07-09-2019 04:13 AM

Unfortunately my seat saga continues to eat up most of the summer cruising season. The seats are '67 Chevelle buckets. I had the upholsterer eliminate the plastic back and side panels because my originals were cracked and I wanted to save money. Well I decided they didn't look good without those panels so I ordered some reproductions. This requires me to remove the freshly-installed seat covers to re-attach the brackets that hold those covers on. So now I'm waiting for the panels I ordered and a hog ring kit.

Wish I'd just waited until winter to do the seats... :waah:

DransportGarage 07-09-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8555428)
I saw your fix on that other forum. You might want to tell these guys how you did it.

Livemeyer, I'm all ears if you do. I'm getting ready to do my sun visors. (...or maybe give me a link...)

Black_Sheep 07-09-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8555431)
Unfortunately my seat saga continues to eat up most of the summer cruising season. The seats are '67 Chevelle buckets. I had the upholsterer eliminate the plastic back and side panels because my originals were cracked and I wanted to save money. Well I decided they didn't look good without those panels so I ordered some reproductions. This requires me to remove the freshly-installed seat covers to re-attach the brackets that hold those covers on. So now I'm waiting for the panels I ordered and a hog ring kit.

Wish I'd just waited until winter to do the seats... :waah:

Just run them as they are until winter and then work on them, no sense taking your truck out of commission if you don’t have to