The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826089)

Gregski 11-01-2023 08:36 PM

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

5 Attachment(s)
today I got to charge at the wife's work (2 miles from our house) at a system called JuiceBox, you can't make this stuff up folks

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a bit like a Mars Station?

short video: DIY Chevy C10 Truck EV Conversion getting a JuiceBox

_

Dieselwrencher 11-02-2023 06:52 AM

Very cool! I have not checked in for a while but it looks like you sure have made great progress on it! I'll have to go back and see where I left off. I'm interested to see how much range you have. We surely don't have the chargers as close as you do out there I'm sure. We have more and more being built in the big cities but none rural.

I'm very impressed with it. The difference from the quiet from your truck and the loudness of mine are huge. :lol: If I am forced to have an EV, this would be the only choice for me. Something retro'd to a vintage ride. Do you plan to tow anything with it once you get your second battery installed?

Gregski 11-03-2023 11:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9255718)
Very cool! I have not checked in for a while but it looks like you sure have made great progress on it! I'll have to go back and see where I left off. I'm interested to see how much range you have. We surely don't have the chargers as close as you do out there I'm sure. We have more and more being built in the big cities but none rural...

glad you swung back around, great question about the range, I am using a battery pack from a hybrid donor vehicle and not a 100% electric car and those tend to be much smaller. it is a 9.1 killer watt battery pack and the golden rule is about 3.5 miles per kW so 9.1 times 3.5 puts me at a range of only 31.85 miles

Well that SUCKS you shout! well I did a number of road tests and got closer to 39.9 miles before completely running out of juice, but wait, there's more, I own two of these packs already and all I need to do is get off my butt and add the second one and we will essentially double our range to over 65 miles, not too bad

Fun Fact: Per insurance company stats, the average American drives less than 40 miles per day! please think about that for a minute

FYI, each pack weighs apprximately 180 pounds and cost me on average $1K each (paid $900 for the first one, and $1,100 for the second one)

here is a link to an absolutely fascinating video of me manhandling one of these beauties: BMW 530e Plug In Hybrid HV Battery Pack

Bonus Points: if you can identify the name of the song?

Gregski 11-03-2023 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9255718)
I'm very impressed with it. The difference from the quiet from your truck and the loudness of mine are huge. :lol: If I am forced to have an EV, this would be the only choice for me. Something retro'd to a vintage ride. Do you plan to tow anything with it once you get your second battery installed?

Appreciate the questions. All my trucks become sissy Hot Rods and don't do much manual labor. This one doesn't even have a trailer hitch and sports a sexy roll pan instead. Don't get me wrong the electruck will still do truck things but I don't recon towing will be one of them. I look forward to fetching a Christmas tree in it this year!

light duty etruck

loudchevy 11-03-2023 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 9255966)

Bonus Points: if you can identify the name of the song?

awesome selection for the song:metal:

Gregski 11-03-2023 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudchevy (Post 9255998)
awesome selection for the song:metal:

Yup, luv Bon Jovi ;)

Gregski 11-04-2023 11:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
yup, yes this was totally easier to paint on the truck than off of it completely free of any obstructions without any need for tape or masking, aha

Gregski 11-04-2023 11:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
well I don't know about you fellers and fellecitas but I can't store already used can of spray paint worth beans and I've tried all them tricks, flip it upside down and spray till it comes out clear, blah blah blah, well they aint made to last to be stored, so after painting that little strip with a new can of blackness it was time to use up the rest, and what better place to do it than that fugly bed

Gregski 11-04-2023 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so since we is getting a brand new bed sides next year, [note to self: rob a bank] we called up the boys from ZeroPrep Auto Body to help us shoot the inner bed sides

and I think if you don't look at it, it turned out great! $6.99 well spent

FRENCHBLUE72 11-04-2023 12:56 PM

Looks like zero prep did a great job

Gregski 11-04-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 9256222)
Looks like zero prep did a great job

LoL do your ducks play our kids SJSU or SDSU in pig skin this year?

FRENCHBLUE72 11-04-2023 04:04 PM

No clue honestly been trying to get busy on my truck instead of so much boob tube lol..

Gregski 11-05-2023 10:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
just staying busy

Gregski 11-05-2023 10:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
and then there was two

Gregski 11-05-2023 10:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
one of many trial fits, the way I like to run 'em they were about 3" too long

yuccales 11-05-2023 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 9255967)
I look forward to fetching a Christmas tree in it this year!

With all that stored power, you can haul that tree with it's lights on. :lol:

Gregski 11-05-2023 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 9256554)

no doubt

Gregski 11-05-2023 12:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and a couple nip and tucks later and we have an almost perfect fit, well sort of

Dieselwrencher 11-07-2023 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 9256554)

That would be cool! :lol: With an all LED one there wouldn't be much load.

The bed spray job will please the eye. Haha Nice work on the floor mats. If you want to add carpet later, I picked up a 3x4 piece of black carpet from walmart and used it to make the carpet for my 40 Ford. It might take some heat forming in the truck but definitely a cheaper alterative.

Gregski 11-07-2023 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9257095)
That would be cool! :lol: With an all LED one there wouldn't be much load.

The bed spray job will please the eye. Haha Nice work on the floor mats. If you want to add carpet later, I picked up a 3x4 piece of black carpet from walmart and used it to make the carpet for my 40 Ford. It might take some heat forming in the truck but definitely a cheaper alterative.

thanks Ryan, are you telling us we don't need no specialized automotive grade carpet to shape it / heat mold it? I know nothing about carpets so I am not questioning you just asking

Dieselwrencher 11-07-2023 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 9257097)
thanks Ryan, are you telling us we don't need no specialized automotive grade carpet to shape it / heat mold it? I know nothing about carpets so I am not questioning you just asking

As long as it has a backing then you should be able to heat it and mold it/form it. I usually use gloves and a 2x4 or an old large book. Heat up the back of the matting and then hold the carpet in place. Sometimes I'll set a block or something heavy in place to hold it in shape while it cools.

Gregski 11-08-2023 12:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so with the new Speedometer and Tachometer installed it was time to tuck away all the loose wiring

Fun Level: 2

a link to a short video: Wrapping Up Phase I - Electric Truck Conversion, 1971 Chevy C10 GMC

_

daveshilling 11-08-2023 08:54 PM

It's really coming along Gregski! Waiting for the Tesla Rear motor conversion once you get antsy...

Gregski 11-09-2023 10:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshilling (Post 9257575)
It's really coming along Gregski! Waiting for the Tesla Rear motor conversion once you get antsy...

Thank you, and ... Don't you dare plant that seed.

Gregski 11-09-2023 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
link to a little peak inside after the wire mess clean up

Electric Truck Conversion Cab No More Wire Mess

_