The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

fryer1979 12-08-2010 12:16 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Wound up with a little free time and sunny weather over the weekend, so I got a little work done on the parts truck. Got the front crossmember ready to pull (only 4 bolts left holding it in place). Also got the cab ready to pull, bolts are out and everything keeping it attached to the frame is now gone. Not too much, but a little progress for a couple hours of free time.

BTW: post #600....if anyone keeps tack of things like that. :metal:

lakeroadster 12-08-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65gregg (Post 4337354)
lakeroadster, how many cans so far?

3-1/2

63lemon 12-08-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirtzen (Post 4337426)
I finally put power steering in my truck.

was it difficult or did you use junkyard apts.

kirtzen 12-08-2010 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 63lemon (Post 4339135)
was it difficult or did you use junkyard apts.

I thought it was quite easy. I used a CPP mounting kit, which has the mounting plates, and steering column attachment. The power steering box was from a 81 chevy 3/4 ton. I haven't installed the pump yet. I just can't decide on a bracket set up for the pump and alternator.Attachment 666300

Bugeyev8 12-10-2010 07:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
just got my aftermarket aluminum radiator today, if the weather is better this weekend I will figure out how to mount this thing, it has 4 nice mounting bosses on the front but I may use the saddle style

fink64 12-10-2010 07:44 PM

where did you get the radiator at

nachodog2 12-10-2010 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
had mine primed this morning!

KIC 12-11-2010 01:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Boy...so much happening on the Burb daily now. Today we got the engine compartment inner fenders painted and the front, behind the grill painted, the inner hood area painted, some of the interior parts are now primered, the dash primered and a lot of the front chrome grill polished.

70inline6 12-11-2010 05:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wet and damp day... perfect for working on the truck in the garage...

Pulled the final screws and bolts, and got the inner fenders and radiator support off.

TwoFiftyShifter 12-11-2010 06:12 PM

Not too much. Painted my vent window assembly and brought it over to the glass shop, im getting my rusty compete doors' guts transferred over the the solid door shells im going to use. I got my steering wheel pulled so I can work on the column too. I mostly got the truck outside and put a cover on it, unfortunately my parents vehicles have the shop spaces reserved for their cars and trucks. I also put the fan on and bought a new battery, and ran the truck for a minute before parking it.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...7/101_1225.jpg

chainsaw 12-11-2010 06:24 PM

Went to move the truck, found out mice had chewed the electric lines to the air ride in half. jacked it up, put jack stands under it, went to jack up the other side and some how it rolled forward off both stands,crushing the jack under the truck. Parts store, new jack, fixed wireing, old jack in trash, called it a day.

StevieC 12-11-2010 07:25 PM

Lessee... I removed the rear bumper, worked on a fender dent, fixed the driver side window regulator, took her for a spin

63redsled 12-11-2010 08:14 PM

walked in the garage... stared... and drooled! ;P :D

McC_65_91 12-11-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chainsaw (Post 4344354)
Went to move the truck, found out mice had chewed the electric lines to the air ride in half. jacked it up, put jack stands under it, went to jack up the other side and some how it rolled forward off both stands,crushing the jack under the truck. Parts store, new jack, fixed wireing, old jack in trash, called it a day.

better on the jack than you...
i thought about mine a whole lot... im a college student its my finals week next week, cant wait to get outta here got a box of parts waiting at home :D

markeb01 12-11-2010 09:06 PM

Installed valve stems in my new front wheels, and with great reluctance I removed a little over an inch from the right side gas pedal ledge. I’ve been considering this modification with great hesitance since I ruined a perfectly good Moon pedal years ago. I had to cut away so much to get it to work it looked terrible in the end and replaced it with this one.

Although I preferred it cosmetically before the trimming, it is much more user friendly now allowing my foot to rest in a more natural position. I'm not sure a casual observer would know if didn't come this way.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/769/post01d.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7445/post02.jpg

slepysal 12-11-2010 11:03 PM

went for a nice little cruise

StevieC 12-11-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63redsled (Post 4344482)
walked in the garage... Stared... And drooled! ;p :d

:d

TwoFiftyShifter 12-12-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 4344549)
Installed valve stems in my new front wheels, and with great reluctance I removed a little over an inch from the right side gas pedal ledge. I’ve been considering this modification with great hesitance since I ruined a perfectly good Moon pedal years ago. I had to cut away so much to get it to work it looked terrible in the end and replaced it with this one.

Although I preferred it cosmetically before the trimming, it is much more user friendly now allowing my foot to rest in a more natural position. I'm not sure a casual observer would know if didn't come this way.

That looks uncomfortable to me to begin with, I've always had my heel on the floorboard and just my toes on the pedal. I guess thats one of the various driving techniques that people can alter like your hands on the steering wheel.

Anyways looks good, I love your truck, mostly your interior, the retro tach on the dash, and the seats that look like old chevelle buckets, your 4 speed shifter and also whatever you call whats on the bottom of the door panels... just be advised I may steal a few of your ideas on my build. HA!

markeb01 12-12-2010 03:08 AM

In a drag racing application I imagine the shoe positioning edges were handy to keep your foot located on the pedal, but for a street application they are somewhat inconvenient. I also drive with my heal on the floor, and the arch of my shoe clears the heal cup on the pedal. Trimming the right ledge just allows more flexibility on where the foot can be placed on the pedal.

Feel free to lift whatever ideas you can use. That’s what I did. I grew up reading about all these ideas in magazines when I was a kid. And the stuff on the door panels is called tufting, diamond tufting, or diamond tuck. In vehicles it dates back to the horse and buggy days since it didn’t require any sewing. It’s folded fabric held in place with buttons and staples. In the late 60’s it became popular again along with diamond patterned stitching, which is much less labor intensive than real tufting.

kiknrocks 12-12-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nachodog2 (Post 4342949)
had mine primed this morning!

MAN THATS A SWEET LOOKING TRUCK!!!
Looks like my old 66

Rich 5150 69 12-12-2010 07:55 PM

Mocking up some new ideas for inner door panels on a set of junk doors, when done will post pics, but I`m in the very early stages of it now.

fink64 12-12-2010 08:11 PM

so i tore the carpet off the ceiling of my truck today and started striping the adhesive off not a whole lot of fun bit has to be done. i was wondering since i bought this truck why it only had one sunvisor but i noticed today it looks like it came from the factory like that. so did these trucks only come out with one visor?

61_FL_Apache 12-12-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 4344549)

That install came out great!! Nice job!! It matches the rest of your truck.

TwoFiftyShifter 12-12-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fink64 (Post 4346219)
so i tore the carpet off the ceiling of my truck today and started striping the adhesive off not a whole lot of fun bit has to be done. i was wondering since i bought this truck why it only had one sunvisor but i noticed today it looks like it came from the factory like that. so did these trucks only come out with one visor?

Maybe it was an option. My 64 has just the driver side.

markeb01 12-12-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fink64 (Post 4346219)
i was wondering since i bought this truck why it only had one sunvisor but i noticed today it looks like it came from the factory like that. so did these trucks only come out with one visor?

Yes one sunvisor was standard. Just like no arm rests, no lighter, no heater, no radio, etc. Everything now taken for granted as standard was an extra cost option. My 1960 GMC only came with one sunvisor, but the original owner did add the optional front turn signals, and rear turn signals as two separate line items!