The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=264226)

Big J 05-01-2008 04:41 AM

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

4 Attachment(s)
Few more pics... Took the rubber piece off the top of the windshield frame. Nice and solid.....

Chevyman63 05-01-2008 01:12 PM

Good progress Big J!

I wish I had the time...oh well, I'll just keep watching all you pros to get my Chevy fix.

hugybear 05-03-2008 12:43 AM

looks good big j

Big J 05-10-2008 02:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm going auto.... Picked up a 205, adapter and coupler from a very good parts source. The adapter was a little rusty from laying out. I polished it but its still pitted. So instead of running it and worrying about leaks, I'm gonna buy a new one. I'm gearing up for a week of fun. My birthday is Monday so I took the week off, lol.... I'll be workin' on the Blazer all week, provided no one bugs me to do this or that.... I've been takin' it easy for the past couple weeks knowing I have this to look forward to.
Heres the coupler, its pitted all the way around where the seals ride. Would yall run it or buy a new one?

jaros44sr 05-10-2008 02:59 PM

;):five::hot::barn::lol:HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Seems like alot of work if it leaks, can you polish out the pits or are they deep

Big J 05-10-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2715637)
;):five::hot::barn::lol:HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Seems like alot of work if it leaks, can you polish out the pits or are they deep

Thanks for the HBD. They're deep. It'd remove too much material. I found a new one for 89.00. I'll probably go that route.

hgs_notes 05-10-2008 07:02 PM

I wonder if they make a sleeve for those like they have for the engine vibration damper?

Big J 05-10-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 2715959)
I wonder if they make a sleeve for those like they have for the engine vibration damper?

I found some Speedi-sleeves but I'd have to have two, they'd sit where the seals ride. 45.00 each..... If it were cheap enough I'd go that route. Post up if you find something cheaper.

Big J 05-13-2008 04:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Got a little bit done today. Mainly getting it ready to take to the media blasting place. Filled in the hole in the top of the bedside and a couple other screw holes. Someone had cut up the tranny cover where the shifter goes through so I bent that back out and welded it up.

49m 05-13-2008 04:23 AM

where you getting it media blasted and what are they charging.

Big J 05-13-2008 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49m (Post 2719290)
where you getting it media blasted and what are they charging.

Before I tell who and how much, lets see how it turns out....

Big J 05-15-2008 07:15 AM

Well I got it back from being blasted today. I thought I was done replacing metal..... I thought wrong. Talk about wanting to smash something. I was a bit upset, lol... I've since calmed down though. I reckon its best to find the other rust now than under my new paint in a few months. The top of the outside window frame, more bed area, tops of the bed rails around the top holes. On top of all the fun going on with that it actually started to flash a bit on the way home.... So I unloaded, at almost dark, busted out the gun and shot the epoxy. I had some light but not quite enough. First time using this particular gun too... Took me a minute to get used to it. Yep I've got some runs here and there. At least its covered and can't rust, lol.... I still have to use chemical stripper to do the outside bedsides. I didn't want to risk warping them. I'll post up some pics tomorrow. I didn't have time to snap pics.

Yukon Jack 05-15-2008 05:22 PM

What a bummer about the additional rust, but your right, better to find it now. Every project has set backs unfortunately. I hardly ever have anything go as smoothly as I think it should go.

Big J 05-16-2008 12:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Heres the good and bad.

49m 05-16-2008 01:03 AM

Ive got some pieces of bed floor if you need it. Know will you say where you got it blasted and do you recomend it. I am going to get my truck done when I tear it down.

Big J 05-16-2008 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 49m (Post 2723778)
Ive got some pieces of bed floor if you need it. Know will you say where you got it blasted and do you recomend it. I am going to get my truck done when I tear it down.

I've got some left over from the stuff I got from Jim but I might need more, lol... thanks for the offer. Still haven't found my box of extra pumps and pulleys.
For the sand blasting..... If your prepared to see the worst then go for it. If you think the metal is good enough then stick with a DA and chemical stripper..... I got it done at E&M Fabricating across the river in Madison. I do recommend them, he did a good job, nothing warped or blasted to nothing. Even got all the nooks and crannies underneath.

Big J 05-16-2008 03:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well after staring at the pretty new white epoxy all day I'm in a much better mood. As for my new found rust, "Just a thing"......... Started tearing down one of my doors tonight. I rememberd having a issue of Classic Trucks with the order of removal, helped alot, lol.... I think after some tlc my vent wings will look nice.

Chevyman63 05-16-2008 03:44 AM

That tub does look good. Can't wait until mine is at that point.

BTW...nice work.

vtblazer 05-16-2008 12:51 PM

Hang tough J, like you said, better to find it now for sure.

You've gained skillz through all this, those rust spots got nuthin' on you. :lol:

Big J 05-23-2008 05:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Alrighty then...... A fellow board member (family member, lol) donated a truck roof to the cause with a good top windshield piece. Its the same as the blazers. Not an easy thing to remove as its held on with 59 spot welds. I'll need to pick up some new bits before tackling the existing winshield frame. I also plan on using the truck top skin to make a hard bikini top. Picked up some nos trim rings from my favorite uncle last weekend too...... Heres the pics....

jaros44sr 05-23-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 2734037)
Alrighty then...... A fellow board member (family member, lol) donated a truck roof to the cause with a good top windshield piece. Its the same as the blazers. Not an easy thing to remove as its held on with 59 spot welds. I'll need to pick up some new bits before tackling the existing winshield frame. I also plan on using the truck top skin to make a hard bikini top. Picked up some nos trim rings from my favorite uncle last weekend too...... Heres the pics....

What's your thoughts on the inside pc., is it the same as a Blazer/Jimmy top rail?

Nice Uncle...

vtblazer 05-23-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2734334)
What's your thoughts on the inside pc., is it the same as a Blazer/Jimmy top rail?

Nice Uncle...

No it's not, on a pick up it rolls right into the inner roof line.

Nice work with the spot welds J, blazer frame is waiting. :lol:

Chevyman63 05-23-2008 01:09 PM

Wow...wish I had one of them there uncles like that.

jaros44sr 05-23-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2734338)
No it's not, on a pick up it rolls right into the inner roof line.

Nice work with the spot welds J, blazer frame is waiting. :lol:

Is there enough metal to make the bend up

vtblazer 05-23-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2734341)
Is there enough metal to make the bend up

That's a good question...

Last truck cab windshield frame I looked at, it didn't seem doable but I wasn't faced with zero other option's at that time, so maybe I didn't look 'enough'. ;)

Anything is possible when the need is there, you've got the skillz dude, make it happen. :gi:
You need another puzzle to figure out.

jaros44sr 05-23-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2734349)

Last truck cab windshield frame I looked at, it didn't seem doable but I wasn't faced with zero other option's at that time, so maybe I didn't look 'enough'. ;)

Anything is possible when the need is there, you've got the skillz dude, make it happen. :gi:

:lol:Ya, ny wifey calls me the problem solver, but it IS the last pc. of rust on the Jimmy

Thank you for the skillz comment, there is always a way, if the need and desire is there:lol:

jaros44sr 05-23-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2734349)

:lol:Ya, my wifey calls me the problem solver, but it IS the last pc. of rust on the Jimmy

Thank you for the skillz comment, there is always a way, if the need and desire is there:lol:

Huck 05-23-2008 02:22 PM

Jason, don't go nuts on small holes by cutting out if the structural integrety is there. You can seal with POR15 and bondo which will prevent future issues. Cutting and welding is fine when you have no other choice structure wise but if section is solid---no real need.

Yukon Jack 05-23-2008 04:56 PM

I can't wait to see the hard bikini top - sounds very interesting!

Big J 05-23-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huck (Post 2734381)
Jason, don't go nuts on small holes by cutting out if the structural integrety is there. You can seal with POR15 and bondo which will prevent future issues. Cutting and welding is fine when you have no other choice structure wise but if section is solid---no real need.

I probably could go that route but I believe its worse than the pics look. Plus it will allow me to POR15 the inside when I get it apart..... I wish I could make myself go the bondo route.... All those spot welds are going to be a PAIN! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack (Post 2734569)
I can't wait to see the hard bikini top - sounds very interesting!

It shouldn't be very hard (we'll see :lol:). The main thing my plan requires is that a person would have to be able to bolt the back side mounts to a roll bar. I'm using an aftermarket roll bar out of a truck and its got light tabs. So no problem for me.

Big J 05-24-2008 05:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Tonights fun... I started drilling the spot welds on the window frame but I'm taking my time on those. Put the trim rings on my wheels, looks sweet! I got the top skin cut off the truck top. Took some pics so yall could see what one looks like inside, RUSTY!!!:lol:

hugybear 05-25-2008 07:09 AM

lookin good

Big J 05-28-2008 04:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the windshield frame piece cut out tonight. Used a new spot weld cutter instead of using a spotweld bit. Worked great. Still wasn't working fast enough for me so I busted out the grinder and ground out the rest of the spot welds. The new piece fits just like its supposed to. I'm going to fix a few places on the inside first and then por15 all the places I can reach. Here are some pics. You can see all the rusty goodness that fell out in the floor.

jamie72 05-28-2008 04:07 AM

so how did he roof tie into the driprail? looks pretty good!!

vtblazer 05-28-2008 04:19 AM

That's great you were able to make use of it, cool yours was still good inside.

'Nother check off the list. ;)

OLD SKOOL K5 05-28-2008 06:21 AM

Good choice on the tires and rims Big J . you can't go wrong with rally's and bfg muds. They are Classic !

Big J 05-28-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD SKOOL K5 (Post 2740244)
Good choice on the tires and rims Big J . you can't go wrong with rally's and bfg muds. They are Classic !

They rock don't they!!! How are your trim rings holding up. The way the rubber bead sticks out on these tires seams to be holding the ring out away from the wheel. Maybe I need to take a rubber mallet and beat them on there a little better.

Hey jamie72... I'll take some close up pics one night this week.

jaros44sr 05-28-2008 11:27 PM

Got anymore pics of the windshield repair, nice wheels and tires. As soon as my govurn' check gets here, I plan to buy the same tires (can ya PM me the price, so I can shop around)

Big J 05-30-2008 09:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Close up pics.

jaros44sr 05-30-2008 10:58 PM

Thanks J...do think they used enuff spot welds, I can see why my w/s rusted out. With that front pc. off, would I have access to the rear pc., sorta looks like it. Or is there another layer to get thru?

Where's hugybear???