The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Slosh Tubz SEMA 2015 Build "BOOSTED BERTHA" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=643425)

Modges'66 01-02-2015 09:52 PM

Re: Slosh Tubz SEMA 2015 Build "BOOSTED BERTHA"

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeating1 (Post 6981041)
Linear actuators mounted parallel to the frame, inside the frame channel. With remotes!

That is a great idea, and would be very slick, and I also thought along those same lines for my truck for a long time!
But, until you start trying to fab something like this up while trying to maintain a deadline, and then realize that unless you have the tailgate continuously going up & down all day long, 95% of the public will never notice, or care.
That is when I focused on mods that 95% of the public WOULD notice, like shaved door handles, and filled seams...
Just my .02 cents worth.

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6979084)
Well... that does seem a little high but I sent 2 "Custom Camper" emblems that Advanced Plating that you see all the time on TV and paid 400.00 to have them done and I have to say on a 1-10 scale I would give it a 8...
I see !
What I have seen of this companies work they are worth the extra couple hundred you would spend...

it just seems like a lot to spend on plating a grill......
Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6979299)
http://www.advancedplating.com/site/
when I called they asked what I was building and what it was going to be used for, after talking to them they actually refer me to another chrome plating shop as the mostly do high end builds.

WOW, I know I cant afford their prices !
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6979312)
thats just who i was gonna recommend. steve whitney at whitworx, great guy and great work, i use them all the time. call me first... i think he's about 2 months out right now.

and no worries... i'll find you a decent fender.

I am sure they would do a great job, I just cant stomach that much for a grill .
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6979319)
Holy smokes, CHA-CHING on the plating buiz! Sponsorship? Tubz has lots of reach man! Sell it!

LOL, no luck so far !
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 6979628)
this was gone to advanced for 22 wks....sat in line for 20 of those....their the #1 plater in country......and u pay for it......$875 but its flawless.....if u find another plater let me know.....the waiting nearly killed me with this...jim

It looks AMAZING !
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6979671)
I will NEVER use Advanced again...

ooops....that doesn't sound good !
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbrktracer (Post 6979732)
I have used John Wright's Custom Chrome Plating , Grafton Ohio. 440-926-3116.

They did the chrome on the 57 Chevy Truck Quicksilver also. Finished in the Great 8 and won Barrett-Jackson Hot August Nights.

I have been very happy with the work they have done for me ..... Highly recommend them.

Thanks , I will check them out !
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeating1 (Post 6981041)
Linear actuators mounted parallel to the frame, inside the frame channel. With remotes!

well , that would be pretty cool !
Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 6981088)
yeah you could hide the arms for those behind the rearbumper or inside the rear bodywork of the bed

great ideas
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmvlt1100 (Post 6982072)
Very nice build will be watching.

Thanks man !
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 6982332)
That is a great idea, and would be very slick, and I also thought along those same lines for my truck for a long time!
But, until you start trying to fab something like this up while trying to maintain a deadline, and then realize that unless you have the tailgate continuously going up & down all day long, 95% of the public will never notice, or care.
That is when I focused on mods that 95% of the public WOULD notice, like shaved door handles, and filled seams...
Just my .02 cents worth.

I agree

Elliot949 01-03-2015 10:38 AM

I would agree with you Mike... 750 to do a grille seems high to me also... I am not sure I wouldn't go a different direction...

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:39 AM

Ok guys I am about to start a lengthy post here ! I have to admit I was a little bit intimidated by the rust repair on the floor, this will be the first one I have ever done on my own. I was more intimidated by the sequence of panels then the job itself. So here it goes I am laying it out step by step . All panels provided by LMC Truck, Thank you for your support !

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
First picture I had already cut out the old rockers prior to media blasting so I could see what was behind everything

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
next step figuring out where to cut and fitting the lower front door brace with the LMC Truck patch panels

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Next step cleaning off the inner rocker panel brace from the cab mount and fitting the inner rocker / floor patch panel also from LMC Truck

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I chose to leave the rear 10 inches or so of my factory rocker since it was in excellent shape and I like to save all the original metal I can ! I also like to cut a panel where it leaves my weld on a bend to keep it cleaner (in my opinion) after trimming your patch panel lay it over the original panel and mark it off to give you an exact pattern to cut out.

Those clamps are the $8 ones from Harbor Freight and I must say I cant believe I haven't had a set until now, they are Awesome !

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Next panel the lower side kick panel. I did have to modify this panel slightly to get it to line up like I liked, and once i get it welded in solid i will be using a step bit to align all the bolt holes exactly.

67cheby 01-03-2015 10:56 AM

That is all at the moment, more to come. I did the drivers side New Years Day and it took me 6 1/2 hours , this side has gone much faster once you figure out what your doing it goes pretty quick. The Harbor Freight clamps give you the perfect welding gap and once it is ground down you have a nice flat butt panel connection, i will post some finished pictures on Monday.
Once again thank you LMC Truck for your support !

jlsanborn 01-03-2015 11:32 AM

Nice work Mike. Making it look easy!

67cheby 01-03-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6982945)
Nice work Mike. Making it look easy!

Thanks man, its really not that bad. I have actually been really enjoying it !

oldman3 01-03-2015 12:46 PM

Nice repairs Mike...Jim

jtp67-72 01-03-2015 01:25 PM

Liken' this.....that kind of work is like meditation for me...."frustration" for some....and a good example of why you dont "HAVE TO" use entire patch just because it came that way ....it's not so much original metal as it is the original "FIT"....... and your right .....a little planning ahead and you can minimize the weld pattern that is seen........jim

67cheby 01-03-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 6983046)
Nice repairs Mike...Jim

Thank you !
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 6983104)
Liken' this.....that kind of work is like meditation for me...."frustration" for some....and a good example of why you dont "HAVE TO" use entire patch just because it came that way ....it's not so much original metal as it is the original "FIT"....... and your right .....a little planning ahead and you can minimize the weld pattern that is seen........jim

Exactly !

watahyahknow 01-03-2015 03:10 PM

there spotweld drill bits available for when you want to save the metal behind the rusted piece
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images.../040210467.jpg
it only cuts the top metal leaving enough fles on the bottom one to weld the new piece on

it takes a little practice to know how deep to drill but other than that there nice tools to have

talking bout tools but not related to sheetmetal ......
i seen this today :
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SX522_.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZEaPQinO0
its expensive but so is a gas rig and its a lot safer too you could basicly do this near a gasleak and nothing would happen unlike when using an open flame , as long as you dont damage the coil it will keep going too ans not run out of gas

duallyjams 01-03-2015 06:18 PM

Huh you made it look like a 15 min episode the slosh tubz channel.

clemdaddy 01-03-2015 06:55 PM

nice work man... you got it going on.
got a few pass-side fenders to look at. and the wing to return... lets hook up this week, if not tomorrow.

jkeating1 01-03-2015 07:28 PM

In post #327--how did you know where the factory spot welds were? I doesn't look like they were still visible on the surface.

sduckworth13 01-03-2015 11:30 PM

Metal work is looking great Mike.

watahyahknow 01-04-2015 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeating1 (Post 6983601)
In post #327--how did you know where the factory spot welds were? I doesn't look like they were still visible on the surface.

you can make a quick pass over the surface with the grinder or a piece of sandaper and see te dimples the spotwelds leave behind on non mediablasted steel
when the material is blasted you just see them

it might be the lighting doesnt make the dimples show up
or they whent a little thick on the primer
usually there pretty clear te see

BigDaddyV 01-04-2015 11:39 AM

Very nice progress Mike! Keep it up. I'm hopefully gonna get started on my cab soon.

67cheby 01-05-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 6983229)
there spotweld drill bits available for when you want to save the metal behind the rusted piece
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/images.../040210467.jpg
it only cuts the top metal leaving enough fles on the bottom one to weld the new piece on

it takes a little practice to know how deep to drill but other than that there nice tools to have

talking bout tools but not related to sheetmetal ......
i seen this today :
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...4L._SX522_.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyZEaPQinO0
its expensive but so is a gas rig and its a lot safer too you could basicly do this near a gasleak and nothing would happen unlike when using an open flame , as long as you dont damage the coil it will keep going too ans not run out of gas

those are sweet !
Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6983489)
Huh you made it look like a 15 min episode the slosh tubz channel.

LOL...16 hours start to finish on all the floor work !
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6983554)
nice work man... you got it going on.
got a few pass-side fenders to look at. and the wing to return... lets hook up this week, if not tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help Clem !
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkeating1 (Post 6983601)

run a grinder over the top and it will expose the low spots that are the spot welds !
Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6983969)
Metal work is looking great Mike.

thanks man !
Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 6984285)
you can make a quick pass over the surface with the grinder or a piece of sandaper and see te dimples the spotwelds leave behind on non mediablasted steel
when the material is blasted you just see them

it might be the lighting doesnt make the dimples show up
or they whent a little thick on the primer
usually there pretty clear te see

Exactly !
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyV (Post 6984478)
Very nice progress Mike! Keep it up. I'm hopefully gonna get started on my cab soon.

Go Big Daddy !

67cheby 01-05-2015 10:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok well here is the second set of pics.

Metal finished the floor welds.
Welded in the LMC Truck side kick panel bottoms
bolted the outer bottom of the LMC Truck A pillar back on and welded it in

MaximilianKimlin 01-05-2015 10:39 AM

Nice build man! I'm following you in Instagram. That sheet metal work is top notch!

67cheby 01-05-2015 10:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Next up fitting the LMC TRUCK replacement rocker panels.

First since I used the rear of the stock rocker and I wanted to get an exact fit, I cut the rocker a 1/2 inch or so long.

Then Layed the rocker over the existing rocker and marked it for an exact cut

Cut the rocker and now it is ready for final weld in

67cheby 01-05-2015 10:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Next up the front part of the High hump sent all the way from Germany from my friend Patrick Koch , Thank you Patrick !

First step drilling holes around the edge to plug weld

Marking the holes on the cab side

Grinding off the epoxy so the weld will take

Weld it in and smooth off the welds !

67cheby 01-05-2015 10:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
That leaves one last step on my floor repairs the hole in the high hump needs filled.

Cut out a patch panel

Weld it in and smooth it off !

Also welded up the gas neck, a little hammer and dolly work and she should be good to go !

67cheby 01-05-2015 10:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few shots of the whole floor after I finished with all the LMC Truck patch panels !

Elliot949 01-05-2015 10:56 AM

Awesome Work Mike... are you sure you don't want to do the finish work on "Class Act"???...

67cheby 01-05-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximilianKimlin (Post 6986258)
Nice build man! I'm following you in Instagram. That sheet metal work is top notch!

Thanks man, I am learning !

67cheby 01-05-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 6986306)
Awesome Work Mike... are you sure you don't want to do the finish work on "Class Act"???...

LOL....I barely have time to work on this one !!

Stay tuned door patch panels and new firewall are next !

aggie91 01-05-2015 11:14 AM

Mike, progress is looking good. I have been following on FB, but the pictures here are easier on my eyes then trying to see the detail on my phone...LOL.

MaximilianKimlin 01-05-2015 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 6986308)
Thanks man, I am learning !

aren't we all.

jlsanborn 01-05-2015 11:43 AM

Cruising right along, great looking work!

67cheby 01-05-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 6986346)
Mike, progress is looking good. I have been following on FB, but the pictures here are easier on my eyes then trying to see the detail on my phone...LOL.

LOL, you are welcome !
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximilianKimlin (Post 6986351)
aren't we all.

yes sir !
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6986380)
Cruising right along, great looking work!

Thanks man, pretty excited about the progress !

jtp67-72 01-05-2015 07:13 PM

See why i love this board??.....if u chose to do so....u could run those last 10 posts or so as a DYI on sheetmetal replacement .and show those that don't think they can that its not that hard with planning and a few good tools and some common sense! I preach that it ain't rocket science ......just a lotta patience and the "want -to"....and the trick is to know your strengths and weakness's and farm out what makes better since and "cents"....lol.....U and I and 100's of others on this board have built many,many rides with the above plan and hopefully others will see the light on the rewards in the end....I used to show a 30k truck i built against 150k trucks in early 90's ..Question always was "why do u keep bringing yours when u know they will out point u?"....My response was always "yep they sure do .....their about 6 points ahead...what is that ??....oh yeah 20k per point!!! I'm ok with that!!!"......and i had just as much fun......jim

67cheby 01-05-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtp67-72 (Post 6986924)
See why i love this board??.....if u chose to do so....u could run those last 10 posts or so as a DYI on sheetmetal replacement .and show those that don't think they can that its not that hard with planning and a few good tools and some common sense! I preach that it ain't rocket science ......just a lotta patience and the "want -to"....and the trick is to know your strengths and weakness's and farm out what makes better since and "cents"....lol.....U and I and 100's of others on this board have built many,many rides with the above plan and hopefully others will see the light on the rewards in the end....I used to show a 30k truck i built against 150k trucks in early 90's ..Question always was "why do u keep bringing yours when u know they will out point u?"....My response was always "yep they sure do .....their about 6 points ahead...what is that ??....oh yeah 20k per point!!! I'm ok with that!!!"......and i had just as much fun......jim

Exactly, I was totally intimidated by it and literally with zero help just sat down and reverse engineered it, took my time and put it all back together.

Cloud 9 went up against the best and came out Good Guys Truck of the year Finalist beat by a 200k plus truck.... I agree completely !

jtp67-72 01-05-2015 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep and betcha if we got Justin (scotts hotrods) to look in on this he would give his blessing on those repairs.....and i know what talent lye's over there and lots of other places!!......(see below)......jim

Bomp 01-06-2015 06:50 AM

Looking real good. Reeeal goood.