The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   MY build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332884)

shortbed70 08-09-2010 11:05 PM

Re: MY build thread...

Well guys just got my new driveshaft in and installed and now my next venture is I have to notch my trailing arm crossmember to be able to lay out. One step forward two steps back.... This should be fun with it in the truck and cab on frame. I will have plenty of pics as soon as I tear into it. Here I thought I was getting close to moving on its own power.

Alan's Classic 08-09-2010 11:09 PM

Trailer looks nice Troy!! Also nice progress on your truck.

shortbed70 08-10-2010 12:03 AM

Thanks alan...

shortbed70 08-15-2010 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well actually made some progress today. I almost got the trans crossmember welded togather and decided to change the fluid in my trans while it was easy to get the pan off. Im waiting to get my parts back from the blaster so I can start on them and I need to get my cab up so I can work on rear crossmember for drive shaft clearance.

baggedout81 08-17-2010 06:24 PM

There still not done w/ that bed.I'm gonna hate to see it when it gets back:alky:The last big piece to the puzzle as far as the body goes

shortbed70 08-17-2010 07:18 PM

Yea I wish they would hurry the heck up I am ready to work so I need to take advantage of that...Im going to call them tomarrow!

Alan's Classic 08-17-2010 09:12 PM

Xmember looks nice!! :metal:

shortbed70 08-17-2010 11:55 PM

Thanks Alan I am hoping to get it done this weekend and show more pics of it installed. I just had an idea in my head and put it on paper then metal. Once thats done I have to figure out the trailing arm xmember issue. I dont have the money for a ece member so modified stock it is.

shortbed70 08-23-2010 08:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well picked up the parts from the blaster today and now its time to get to work heres some pics.

shortbed70 08-25-2010 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres some of todays progress. Started welding bed seam and putting in patch panel on pass side.

shortbed70 08-27-2010 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well trans x-member is in and low and behold I dont have to notch the trailing arm x-member. So thats done and my mufflers came in...I cant wait to hear these...

daverod 08-27-2010 08:23 PM

looking good.:uhmk:;)Those bed seams look like fun.

chev-obsession 08-27-2010 10:04 PM

are those spintech mufflers? i didnt catch the brand name.

shortbed70 08-28-2010 09:01 AM

Yea they are spintech pro street 2.5"
Davrod The seams aren't that bad to weld just have to be patient and skip around. I finished the drivers side last night.

firenuttz 09-02-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 4070450)
Heres some pics of the rear.

Hey man sweet progress on the truck, ive been looking to bag my truck for some time. I have a question though, how did you do your panhard bar? I saw what i think was the panhard connected to the trailing arm and that only confused me, can you help me out here please:help:

shortbed70 09-05-2010 12:22 PM

I made a plate with a bolt and welded it to the control arm being as thats the farthest point from the opposite frame rail. I hardly have any side movement at all. Im probably going to a watts link when I can afford one so for now this will work. Update on the build...I have the bed seams welded both sides and the pass quater is welded on 90%. Im hoping about next weekend to paint the front inner fenders,grill support and get them hung.Pics to come tomarrow.

baggedout81 09-05-2010 01:21 PM

Gotta couple things to do to the air tanks then it's time to start plumbing.At least here soon it will be in it's own power.:four:

AZ66GMC 09-05-2010 07:26 PM

Look'n good man :metal: I'm thinking of welding up the bed seams on my truck also. Keep up the great work and taking pics!

Tony

shortbed70 09-05-2010 08:43 PM

Man I went to a goodguys car show and they were running auto cross and man that looks like fun. I would really like to run my truck in one when it's finished with wheels and everything. Running bags with the valves close to the bags I'm hoping to control the body roll alot then add sway bars front and rear. Think that's the direction I want to go with pro-touring.
Posted via Mobile Device

baggedout81 09-06-2010 01:32 PM

Yeah you wont have hardly any air transfer w/ the way and position were putting them valves at and the Slams to "ballon" like firestones

shortbed70 09-08-2010 07:55 AM

Well my computer is being stupid and won't l me load my photos off my phone so I will have to fix it to post my progress pics. Sorry
Posted via Mobile Device

SRVBLUES64 09-08-2010 08:35 PM

how do I start a build tread?

Captainfab 09-09-2010 12:34 AM

When you're on the main page of the 'Projects and Builds' towards the top on the left is a button that says "New Thread" click on that, and start typing and adding attachments. Also it is a good idea to subscribe to your threads so you know when someone asks a question, or posts a comment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRVBLUES64 (Post 4180329)
how do I start a build tread?

shortbed70 09-09-2010 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well Only thing I've done is play with my new old skidsteer and some grinding but I did manage to get my fan shroud finished but my computer wont load all the pics but heres one.

Rafael505 09-15-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 3212683)
Not much progress lately but I almost got the motor ready to run just need starter,wp,balancer,valve covers and plugs then I'll have a video. Also got the motor in my 64 running so I can sell it to recoupe some money. Heres some pics of motor....More to come soon. Might have the old truck sold too. And I got to ride my first harley today and MAN now I want one. Spacer is for hood clearence checking...

if you dont mind me askin whats the color and code of you truck i really like it for my 67 c10

shortbed70 09-18-2010 12:34 AM

Are you wanting the motor color ? The truck is ratrod satin black from eastwood. The motor paint is a duplicolor over engine primer. Ill have to get the color if thats what your wanting.

shortbed70 09-19-2010 04:19 PM

Well bedside seams are ground down just need some fine tuning now I need to get some paint on the front inner fenders and grill and get them mounted and more welding on the bed. Pics later tonight

firenuttz 10-25-2010 09:59 AM

any progress on the truck lately?

shortbed70 10-25-2010 01:12 PM

No I got real sick about 2 months ago and couldn't eat or barely drink anything without getting sick then the weight started coming off and lost 32 lbs in three weeks. They finally came up with some mess that helped but now I have a couch in there I'm waiting for the lady to get it out so can't really do much. I did manage to get the pass side of the bed seams all welded up and my inner fenders both ready for paint but have to make room to do so. Thanks for wondering I was thinking my build died.. Oh yea air tanks are ready for paint also and ready to mount.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 10-25-2010 01:14 PM

About 2 weeks ago started feeling better
Posted via Mobile Device

Laz 10-25-2010 03:44 PM

Good looking build, I really like the look of the smoothed out seams, can't wait to see what the bed looks like with no seam lines.

Hope your health improves and can get back to work on your build soon. This is definitely a thread I will be keeping my eye on.

/jealous of your metalworking skills.

shortbed70 10-26-2010 07:38 AM

Thanks Laz I wll hit a spot sooner or later and get out there and get it done. Me and the wife have decided to make the bed entirely smooth no seams so since it will never haul anything but some chairs and cleaning bucket the gate will be flushed in also... Lots of welding to come!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 10-27-2010 12:53 AM

Sorry to hear of your health issues. Hopefully the doc's have it figured out and your life can get back to normal.

cl08 10-27-2010 09:47 AM

AWESOME BUILD!!!! I have not had a chance to read much on your build, (just looked at pictures) but I was under the impression you could not bag the stock rear suspension because of geometery??? I guess I was wrong. :)

shortbed70 11-01-2010 09:02 PM

Theres alot of stock suspended trucks on the site some lower than mine.When using cpp or other aftermarket trailing arm x members they take care of several issues like exhaust cutouts already done,raised mount location for arms and flat bottom and bigger bridge on top for drive shaft clearence...BUT Im cheap so I am cutting and welding on mine and if the thing vibrates some Ill just raise it so it doesnt :). I actually got something done today I cut off my roll pan so I can start to set the gaps on the gate to weld closed. I also sold my 16' flat deck trailer for what I paid for it back to the same guy I got it from and am going to get my new 20' wednesday evening I hope. Pics this weekend of some progress.

shortbed70 11-01-2010 09:05 PM

Thanks captainfab I am feeling alot better and putting some weight back on and trying to be alittle healthier so as to avoid that again. I love this site and the people on it.....I cant stay away

shortbed70 11-06-2010 09:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
PROGRESS.......
Skined the tailgate or de-skined and centered in the hole and tacked into place. Didnt like the way the rear corner of quarter came out so I cut it out and used the factory edge to line up a little better. Now I need a piece of sheet metal for the inside to finish it out and some 1"x1" tubing to make a frame to weld in between the inner and outer skin. I am trying to get this thing in primer before it gets too cold...And my new trailer I just picked up.

baggedout81 11-08-2010 02:48 AM

SWEET,looks allot better on the computer than a phone

Ditching the whole tailgate i think is the way to go.Gonna be clean lines Just gona have to figure out something w/ the roll pan.It's amazing how much stuff has been REused.If only the people before would have used it the way it was SUPPOSED it.

Gonna be allot of blocking in the future.Progress is gonna start to speed up here that is getting colder.Spending allot more time in the garage

Cant wait to start cutting up on mine

shortbed70 11-08-2010 09:21 PM

Yea Mark thats why I'm hustling trying to get it done. The bed panel behind the garage is going to donate its better half for the build so That makes Four trucks so far to make one truck. Hopefully I can get the other side welded togather this weekend since I cant sell the thing.

baggedout81 11-10-2010 04:12 PM

Sucks that gona have to cut up that bed.Oh i'm for sure right after it's cut off an welded in someone will be looking for one for sure.

Using every available part that can be used.

I need to finish up on the arms also.I'll be over this weekend.Bust out some work