The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sold American! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752564)

FleetsidePaul 08-10-2022 10:30 AM

Re: Sold American!

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9111079)
I need a new DeWalt 18v charger. It will have to be a non-DeWalt copy. There are several on Ebay and they all show American flags with some version of "USA Shipper", "US Seller", etc. Warms my heart knowing I'll be buying local

Car for sale. :)

USA Shipper. :flagw:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/data/500/Kia.jpg

DeadheadNM 09-01-2022 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pre-school/kindergarten nap mat

DeadheadNM 09-01-2022 04:19 PM

I just blew out a flip-flop so ordered some new ones from Okabashi made here in GA and on sale over Labor Day https://www.okabashi.com/

davischevy 09-23-2022 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I measure up.

FleetsidePaul 09-24-2022 02:33 AM

Bought this for my Bug. EMPI is European Motor Parts Inc. And a big USA logo.

Made in China.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...edium/Empi.jpg

Killer Bee 09-24-2022 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9127355)
Now I measure up.

in all of your years in construction you have to know by now your initials won't save a tape :lol:

davischevy 09-24-2022 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 9127399)
in all of your years in construction you have to know by now your initials won't save a tape :lol:

Hence, the new tape measure.

Steeveedee 09-24-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9127395)
Bought this for my Bug. EMPI is European Motor Parts Inc. And a big USA logo.

Made in China.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...edium/Empi.jpg

Inch Pincher! Remember that car? I never knew what "EMPI" stood for, I thought that it was just a word.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9127418)
Hence, the new tape measure.

I saw somewhere that having pink tools will keep the "borrowing" down. :D My son sprayed moly orange spots on his tools so he could identify them on the job site.

Killer Bee 09-24-2022 12:05 PM

EMPI make the best cv boots on the planet

DeadheadNM 09-24-2022 12:55 PM

[quote=GOPAPA;9127465]
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8104459)
I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember the Lucky Strike cigarette commercial where the auctioneer ended his chant with "Sold American!"

I do remember it

American Made Clothing far as I know is CARHARTT

Attachment 2220711

Some of the jackets may still be but sadly the pant/overalls are not (at least when last I looked).

However, you can order pants/overalls that are at least as good and USA made from Round House: https://www.round-house.com/collecti...ungarees-pants and Big Bill is another option that has US and Canada made work clothes: https://www.bigbill.com/us_en/

FleetsidePaul 09-24-2022 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9127445)
Inch Pincher! Remember that car? I never knew what "EMPI" stood for, I thought that it was just a word.

I saw somewhere that having pink tools will keep the "borrowing" down. :D My son sprayed moly orange spots on his tools so he could identify them on the job site.

I sure do remember the Inch Pincher. And the Durachrome Bug. My dad sold Durachrome tools. I had a picture of it in my room as a kid.

Killer Bee 09-27-2022 08:04 PM

delivering kilowatts on American crossarms :flag:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ti6cwjhk8iz...56917.jpg?dl=0

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/tl5mjm63wlv..._5746.jpg?dl=0

FleetsidePaul 09-28-2022 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 9128520)

I worked on a line crew. I never want to see another crossarm as long as I live. Those dang things are heavy.
The only thing that was worse was the tamp. That thing would rattle your teeth. Anybody that's ever used a big tamp knows. You need to get a grip on that bucking bronco and hang on. :lol:

I wonder if that company is the same Brooks that we used to get seals for meters from? I went to their plant once to pick some up. It was in Irwindale or something like that. Could be. Our crossarm's never had any markings on them. I just remember them being a PITA to unload and get up the pole.

I actually still have a crossarm in my yard with insulators still on it. A reminder of my past.

72c20customcamper 10-31-2022 09:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bought a new logjack /cant hook . Lifetime warranty and made in USA

DeadheadNM 11-25-2022 04:40 PM

Some Refrigiwear work clothes are USA made though not called out on the product description. Just ordered USA-made Iron Tuff coveralls (at 25% off w free shipping) for use while snow blowing: https://refrigiwear.com/

DeadheadNM 11-25-2022 04:42 PM

USA made, USA fabric men's workwear from 1620: https://www.1620usa.com/

davischevy 11-26-2022 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9127355)
Now I measure up.

The tape measure disappeared this week.

dieseldawg142 11-26-2022 05:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9148386)
The tape measure disappeared this week.

know how that feels, but i still engrave my initials on my work tools.
i too had a tape go missing a couple weeks ago. while at work, one guy asked to borrow another guys tape and he threw it to him. i intercepted the pass and said thanks, been looking for my tape all week.
buddy goes no, that's my tape, i says are you sure, he was like ya, it's mine, 100%.
so i said really, flipped over the tape and showed him my intials on it....well...ummmm....

anybody doing end links on a gmt 400?
"overbuilt" right here
Attachment 2234319

have quietened down the front end quite a bit
Attachment 2234320Attachment 2234321

davischevy 11-26-2022 10:03 PM

I found the tape measure today. I drove my Jeep Wrangler Monday and left the tape in the back.

special-K 11-27-2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9148739)
I found the tape measure today. I drove my Jeep Wrangler Monday and left the tape in the back.

Ah, another case of SVS. That's Swapped Vehicle Syndrome for those unfamiliar... heh heh. I suffer from that frequently

DeadheadNM 12-10-2022 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Really pleased with the quality of the US made Refrigiwear Iron Tuff insulated work coveralls I got for use while snow blowing. Good bargain compared to what else is on the market. I’ll likely order a similar vest.

DeadheadNM 12-14-2022 06:23 PM

Amerex fire extinguishers are US made: https://www.amerex-fire.com/

davischevy 12-14-2022 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9155327)
Amerex fire extinguishers are US made: https://www.amerex-fire.com/

I hope you didn't need one today. :lol::lol:

DeadheadNM 12-15-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9155457)
I hope you didn't need one today. :lol::lol:

Fortunately not. The thread about the garage fire reminded me that I hadn't followed through with an extinguisher for the new garage. Those Amerex chrome models are pretty nifty.

special-K 02-05-2023 10:34 AM

"SOLD OUT!" This REALLY doesn't belong here. It's a sad day. When is a Harley no longer a Harley but only a name? Harley X350, not just foreign parts. Maybe Harbor Freight will start importing them

72c20customcamper 02-05-2023 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9175326)
"SOLD OUT!" This REALLY doesn't belong here. It's a sad day. When is a Harley no longer a Harley but only a name? Harley X350, not just foreign parts. Maybe Harbor Freight will start importing them

Harley Davidson X350 Launch Date & Specs Revealed - YouTube

Harley has used foreign bikes throughout their history . I had one of these when HD bought Aermacchi was a spectacular POS . I sold it and bought a Suzuki 185 TS

special-K 02-05-2023 12:17 PM

Yep, and the Aermacchis didn't go over well either. At least in Italy they made world class sports cars and motorcycles. China makes crap. Back then it wasn't because we were having everything made in Italy the same as how we sent it all down the tube to China today. These X350s aren't made in America and they aren't even being made FOR Americans. Harley is just a name.

72c20customcamper 02-05-2023 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9175365)
Yep, and the Aermacchis didn't go over well either. At least in Italy they made world class sports cars and motorcycles. China makes crap. Back then it wasn't because we were having everything made in Italy the same as how we sent it all down the tube to China today. These X350s aren't made in America and they aren't even being made FOR Americans. Harley is just a name.

They sold the name a long time ago. Anything for a buck

special-K 02-05-2023 01:01 PM

They haven't exactly sold the name. They took trademark protection to a new level to control how money was made using their name. Selling rights to use the name is literally selling (leasing?) the name, but Harley is still the company it became after buying back from AMF, though evolved since '83. I guess there have been three Harley Davidson Motor Companies, family owned, AMF owned, and company owned (with some family involvement to a point). I guess the family participated some with AMF's operation, too. I'm not sure. I don't know if any are involved anymore. I stopped keeping up with Harley a while ago

72c20customcamper 02-05-2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9175386)
They haven't exactly sold the name. They took trademark protection to a new level to control how money was made using their name. Selling rights to use the name is literally selling (leasing?) the name, but Harley is still the company it became after buying back from AMF, though evolved since '83. I guess there have been three Harley Davidson Motor Companies, family owned, AMF owned, and company owned (with some family involvement to a point). I guess the family participated some with AMF's operation, too. I'm not sure. I don't know if any are involved anymore. I stopped keeping up with Harley a while ago

Sold wasnt the correct term , but they lease the name and logo to just about anyone.

special-K 02-05-2023 01:20 PM

Harley is the schoolbook case for trademark protection and making money from a name. The dealerships became boutiques for products they produced and licensing the name seemed to create more independent products than when the name was freely pirated.

They had 'hog' trademarked when that is a name the public coined. Lawyers went around making bars change their name when bars provided no competition to the company, only free promotion.

FleetsidePaul 02-05-2023 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9175365)

Italy isn't much better than China. Ever own a Fiat?

special-K 02-05-2023 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9175441)
Italy isn't much better than China. Ever own a Fiat?

No, but I blew one up :lol:. They make great wine, bread, cheese... well, food! Known for quality leather products and many other fine things, too. Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Aprilia are quality motorcycles. Italy is a country known for it's enthusiasm for and use of motorcycles. Lots of motorcycle manufacturing was going on back then in Italy. Harley didn't have a US manufacturer to farm it out to

davischevy 02-28-2023 08:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My new pressure washer.

Killer Bee 02-28-2023 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9182712)
My new pressure washer.

I was just looking at that in home depot last weekend

my son was bugging the heck out of me to buy it on the spot without any research :lol:

please let us know how it works, maybe I'll grab one too!

davischevy 02-28-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 9182753)

my son was bugging the heck out of me to buy it on the spot without any research :lol:

We've got three. No problems.

FleetsidePaul 03-01-2023 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 9182753)

It's gas powered and you live in California. Better grab it quick.

Killer Bee 03-01-2023 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9182809)
It's gas powered and you live in California. Better grab it quick.

not for very long ;)

special-K 03-01-2023 07:23 AM

I see small print saying made with foreign and domestic components. Is that Honda motor a foreign component? I wonder how much of it is made in USA. I hope a lot, as in mostly. But I wonder if it isn't the new manipulation of the words "Made in USA", not meaning 100%, more like "assembled in USA". We have USA companies making (or having made) products in foreign countries and foreign companies making things in the USA and we also have any combination of the two. At this point, any part of a product made in the USA is a great thing. I'll get excited about made in USA on a package when I see the factory lights come on and work vehicles filling the lot again

davischevy 03-01-2023 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9182813)
I'll get excited about made in USA on a package when I see the factory lights come on and work vehicles filling the lot again

Exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread.