The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My Facetruck thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752660)

davischevy 11-10-2019 12:02 PM

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8623965)

Killer, I thought you were the truck mechanic. I'ts nice to know your better half has a vocation that could support you someday.

special-K 11-12-2019 07:18 AM

Nothing sexier than a woman on her back... on a creeper!

Killer Bee 11-19-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8624545)
Killer, I thought you were the truck mechanic. I'ts nice to know your better half has a vocation that could support you someday.

back in the early days, we were both stationed in kuwait.. I was in charge of the maint shop and she was on a boat crew..

every rotation when a boat came off the water, the crew came with it to work in the shop..

I put 'em all to work on trucks and boats, no favoritism :lol:

Killer Bee 11-19-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8625644)
Nothing sexier than a woman on her back... on a creeper!

she looks sexy no matter what she's doin' ;)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/x6wwo1a1ad6...e%20I.JPG?dl=0

special-K 11-19-2019 07:36 PM

I won't argue

davischevy 11-19-2019 07:58 PM

Killer, that could well be the shortest answer I've ever seen special-K give. ��

davischevy 11-19-2019 10:24 PM

Tim must have a date tonight.

Ol Blue K20 11-19-2019 11:08 PM

Sometimes, not very often but sometimes.....I know when to be quiet. This is one of those rare moments.

special-K 11-20-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8629953)
Sometimes, not very often but sometimes.....I know when to be quiet. This is one of those rare moments.

Yep. We're talking about a man's wife... one with a gun... who knows how to use it... and so does he... AND this one is a friend's wife ;)

special-K 11-20-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8604078)
Buyer beware, built for internet sale.

I spotted a 72 Cheyenne SWB, big block in California for sale. It looked like a solid truck, and claimed to be a frame off. I checked the location, and I have a relative in the same town as the truck. Since he is a gear head too, I asked if he had time to check it out. He did and it was a big disappointment. The truck may have been off the frame, but they didn't clean anything and if you looked in the passenger rear corner you could see the ground.

My inspector was not impressed. The truck was no bargain, fairly priced for a nice restoration.

Yesterday I stopped at a local shop that does 4x4's and custom fabrication. They had two nice looking Advanced Design trucks that belonged to different customers. The owners had bought them off internet auctions.

One owner had the truck shipped. He took it for a drive and was pretty much afraid to drive it...

I have one such experience to report happening to me. No, I didn't hire an inspector. It wasn't exactly through the internet, but the place had a website with pictures. I found the '72 K/20 Highlander in Hemmings Motor News. It was offered by Classical Gas Station in CO. They were a big classic car dealership that I could see pretty much sold stuff the way they bought it. They had a lot of great inventory from top shelf/top dollar to abandoned project rollers, but all good old stuff.

So my truck was unrestored with lots of options original paint and no rust. I felt the price was reasonable enough for what it was that I could sort anything out that it needed. I just wanted a driver. Although I still don't think I got ripped off money-wise, I was certainly misled. I thought I saw enough pictures, but learned never too many. My main issue was I had planned to drive it home and they were saying "Drive anywhere". It's a good thing I ended up having it shipped.

Truck shows up and driver is saying what a PIA the truck has been to move with no clutch. It had NO clutch at all. Start in Granny or reverse

First time out, headed up to the corner for fuel 1/2 mile up the road I turned around because the front tires were bouncing like basketballs at 40 mph. Ball-joints way way way shot.

I figure I'll run it slow on backroads up to my shop to fix it. About 1/2 mile the other direction going up the big hill I shift to 4th and it about came to a stop when I pushed the clutch. Calipers stuck and hot hot!

Drive anywhere as long as it's a repair garage! The next time I drove that truck it had everything new in steering, brakes, and bearings.

Driving it home, going down Main St, I hit a manhole and half a spring leaf is tanging and bangin' down the road, stop, pick it up, wave to the residents watching the truck that falls apart when you drive it :lol:

All new suspension and while I was at it I did all the drive shaft u-joints since I saw that one was bad. Axles I already did. had to build a new rear driveshaft. I got new wheels and tires since it was two pair of old tires on two Ford/two GM wheels.

It turned out the tool & stowage door was a rare '73 door. It actually opened and shut well, but had the wrong contour. I could see in the pictures it was all white with no trim like the rest of the truck, but couldn't tell it was the wrong door. I had a rust free one stashed and sold the '73 door. I wasn't worried about the door because I had another, but still it was an unexpected surprise. That and it had the wrong radio when I asked if it still had the original one.

davischevy 11-20-2019 11:43 AM

When I bought this K10 I'm working on now, I bought it cheap enough I figured I could sort out the problems. I was in a position to go pick it up, so if it had been worse than I expected I could forfeit my $500 and go on my way.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got there. The truck had very little rust as advertised and It ran and drove like a dream.

Now it's scattered all over my shop. That is one reason I have been relatively quiet here lately. I am determined to finish this thing in a year.

I got to got do some sand blasting now.

davischevy 11-20-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8630063)
Yep. We're talking about a man's wife... one with a gun... who knows how to use it... and so does he... AND this one is a friend's wife ;)

I had no idea you were so afraid of guns. :lol::lol:

special-K 11-20-2019 11:49 PM

:lol:

I like the new signature. Reminds me of a guy I had working for me. He was never found dead on the bike path between his dad's house (where he lived) and the bar, but I recall he was found sleeping it off the next morning by the police after concerned citizens called. Another time he rode the bicycle. Coming home he couldn't ride it, got tired of pushing it, left it behind, and forgot where that was. I could start a thread of stories about that guy. I hired him for entertainment.

davischevy 11-20-2019 11:52 PM

Are you drinking tonight Tim? You are repeating yourself again.

3757chevy 11-21-2019 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8630538)

Whew! I thought I was seeing double.

Getter-Done 11-21-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8630537)
:lol:

I like the new signature. Reminds me of a guy I had working for me. He was never found dead on the bike path between his dad's house (where he lived) and the bar, but I recall he was found sleeping it off the next morning by the police after concerned citizens called. Another time he rode the bicycle. Coming home he couldn't ride it, got tired of pushing it, left it behind, and forgot where that was. I could start a thread of stories about that guy. I hired him for entertainment.

I worked with that guy a my last job:lol::tim::lol: JK

special-K 11-21-2019 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8630538)

Not yet. That's why I have the shakes. I thought I deleted all the duplicates. I guess I missed one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8630590)
Whew! I thought i was seeing double.

You were. I put for my reason for deleting "Auto-duplicating Post"
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 8630627)
I worked with that guy a my last job:lol::tim::lol: JK.

You worked with Bruce, too?? :lol: That guy was a story in himself. I knew him since high school. He was a great guy when sober (when I'd hire him). I think he came and went three or four times. I used to be a lot more tolerant. Too tolerant. I don't know if I want to tell all the stories. Might reflect poorly upon my person :ito:

Here we are in the nursing home:

davischevy 11-26-2019 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture was taken 48 years ago tonight. We said I do, and we did.

Killer Bee 11-26-2019 11:32 PM

you make a handsome couple!

I would have enjoyed the wedding, between diaper changes :lol:

just funnin', congrats on 48 years!

kingsolver72 11-26-2019 11:32 PM

Congrats Larry!

davischevy 11-26-2019 11:38 PM

I had a lot more hair and a lot less gut.

'63GENIII 11-26-2019 11:41 PM

Congrats to you and your better half there Larry. A lot of work and dedication went into those 48!

Wishing you many more.

Steeveedee 11-27-2019 12:02 AM

Congratulations!

Chevyland 11-27-2019 12:02 AM

:cong:
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8633628)
This picture was taken 48 years ago tonight. We said I do, and we did.

Ol Blue K20 11-27-2019 01:30 AM

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary.