The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Dan in Pasadena 09-28-2017 01:44 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks NC,

Yeah, I know about pine but I'm using red oak. The boards sat in my garage a couple weeks and when I finally cut the straps you could see its color had changed a little just sitting there. Sanded off easily.

Russell Ashley 09-28-2017 05:48 PM

"I HOPE there will be room for me to line up the angle strip bolts with the "field" bolts on the strips!"

You can't line up the front one. Because of it's location the nut would show on the outside. The others will be under the fender or in the stake pockets.

Dan in Pasadena 09-28-2017 07:32 PM

Oh, that first bolt would actually be forward of the front stake pocket? Well if so I'll just have to learn to live with imperfection ha ha !!

Russell Ashley 09-29-2017 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan, this is what I was referring to. The first bolt holding the angle strip to the bed side goes into the stake pocket so the nut is not visible on the outside. The cross sill bolts are about two inches back so the nut on a bolt through the bed side there would show. The others can be aligned with the cross sills.

Dan in Pasadena 09-29-2017 02:36 PM

Thanks Russ, yes I understand.

Dan in Pasadena 09-29-2017 07:36 PM

Friday, September 29, 2017

Ok, so the truck WOULD HAVE BEEN ready to test drive around the block today except when they went to install the driveshaft it was too long! Mike had sent 3 out for modifiction to a new shop and all of them were too long.

So he read the guy the riot act and it was supposed to be modified and returned by noon today - but it wasn't there by 1pm when I got there.

The only thing it will need after the driveshaft is installed is to put the ignition switch back in the dash and tie up some loose wires that will be terminated later when the bed is installed.

So the journey continues...............:wave:

oldman3 09-29-2017 11:11 PM

Sorry buddy on the delay, but you'll get there...Jim

joedoh 09-29-2017 11:24 PM

oh man, so close!

Dan in Pasadena 09-30-2017 12:19 PM

Hey, does anyone have the link for the aftermarket place that makes the cowl grill delete panel for Task Force trucks? I know I've seen it. Can't recall if it's metal or fiberglas but I'm considering using one afterall.

G&R's57GMC 09-30-2017 02:26 PM

Brotherstrucks has one cp159sm on sale now $ 79

Dan in Pasadena 09-30-2017 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Glen; purchased.

Stopped by the shop today - Trying to keep the pressure on to get the truck delivered. Comes home Mon/Tues til a problem w/spray booth is worked out.

1. Bedsides need 1 more coat of clear on 1 side.
2. Tailgate, front panel & vent delete panel need to be painted.
3. Mount & adjust hood
4. Install all glass
5. Truck to upholstery shop for interior work.

Somewhere in all this the grill, badges, seat belts, tail gate chains, and assorted details will get installed.

At this rate the truck is looking like it'll be a Christmas present to myself.:waah::lol:

G&R's57GMC 09-30-2017 04:55 PM

Hay Dan don't ya love the internet ! Ask , Answer, Get , Post :)

Dan in Pasadena 09-30-2017 06:39 PM

The internet? Mostly yes, occasionally no. It has caused me to spend more money easily than I ever did before!

Summit had the vent panel on eBay for $65.99 with free shipping. Wouldn't have found that price without the interwebs!

ChuckDriver 09-30-2017 08:34 PM

Let's hope it's an early Christmas present!!

:uhmk:

Black_Sheep 09-30-2017 09:36 PM

Test fit the cowl vent replacement panel before paint, mine needed a little massaging to fit the wiper pivots properly.

Dan in Pasadena 09-30-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8051300)
Test fit the cowl vent replacement panel before paint, mine needed a little massaging to fit the wiper pivots properly.

Good advice, thanks.

Since I'm switching to this to prevent water, leaves ,etc from entering should I use some kind of gasket? The factory onenever had a gasket. Maybe a bead of silicone-allowed-to-dry first as a gasket?

Black_Sheep 10-02-2017 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8051307)
Good advice, thanks.

Since I'm switching to this to prevent water, leaves ,etc from entering should I use some kind of gasket? The factory onenever had a gasket. Maybe a bead of silicone-allowed-to-dry first as a gasket?

The edges on the side are just rolled over sheet metal so there isn't really a good surface to seal to. If you are dead set on sealing it, instead of silicone I would use strip caulk because it will remain pliable.

Dan in Pasadena 10-03-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8052525)
The edges on the side are just rolled over sheet metal so there isn't really a good surface to seal to. If you are dead set on sealing it, instead of silicone I would use strip caulk because it will remain pliable.

I did a bad job of describing what I'm thinking.

1st: I don't think I'll ever turn a hose on the truck or intentionally drive it in serious rain (it' SOCal, "serious rain"? C'mon! lol) So I don't think it will ever see very much water to keep out.

2nd: Like I did on my transmission cover I'd run a heavy bead of silicone on the mating surface and allow it to thoroughly cure. THEN I'd bolt the vent cover down so the silicone acts as a flexible seal or gasket.

Totally agree on "remaining pliable" Using the silicone as a permanent seal would bea cheesy bad idea.

lower50's 10-03-2017 05:49 PM

Well that sucks! But a Christmas present isn't all bad.

Dan in Pasadena 10-03-2017 06:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Driveshaft is installed. Rear lowering blocks removed - seemed like even with the bed off the rear would be too high.

Cowl vent delete panel arrived today. Looks like a nice piece but I haven't test fit it yet. I'll drop it off with the painter tomorrow. I'd prefer still having the stock vents but w/6-1/2"speakers in the kick panels along with tweeters and possibly AC vents there it would be way too cluttered with the vents on there. Oh well.

PS: Annoying as hell that the pictures rotate. Anyone now a fix?

Kim57 10-04-2017 07:53 AM

Nice looking panel.
Kim

bowt1ed 10-04-2017 08:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan, same one I got from Dynacorn. Fits pretty well, but you may have to massage the mounting holes just a bit to get it to center just right. I tried to find a pic of mine. Good piece.

Cheers, Jim

Dan in Pasadena 10-04-2017 11:54 AM

Thanks Jim,
I'll drop the panel off with the painter today and get the latest (as if it'll change!) on when the bed side panel painting will be complete, plus the front panel and tail gate.

Mike texted last night that we'll take a short test drive around the block today. I'm waiting to hear from him, head over to the shop so I can video it. Then I'll flat bed tow it home (9 mi, no glass, no brake lights or door handles, etc) when I'd prefer to drive it on the back roads - then adult thought kicked in and I decided I'd better not - DAMN!

THEN, I'll take the bench seat back to upholsterer and W...A...I...T...!...!

EDIT:
Test drove her down the street 2 blocks. No, forum STILL won't let me load the video!
Runs great. Has a nice low stance but will be adjusted when bed is on. It's quieter (but not quiet) than I thought it would be. Tiny coolant leak to be fixed. Buttonhead Allen screw on Borgeson joint rubs exhaust tubing. Need a 1/8" - 1/4" dimple in exhaust to clear. Brake pedal arm rubs hole in floor, needs adjustment. To be continued...

Black_Sheep 10-04-2017 08:04 PM

There will always be things to sort out on a fresh build, thankfully it all sounds like minor stuff.

ChuckDriver 10-04-2017 08:59 PM

The first drive is always fun, congrats!!

:uhmk: