The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 08-12-2020 10:38 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 8790605)
What did the voltage regulator cover come off of?

Ernie, the cover came from one of these:

gringoloco 08-12-2020 10:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some parts back from powder today and I’m stoked. Looks sooooo much better now. Temporarily slapped it all back together with some new black hardware and it’s lookin’ clean :smoke:

gringoloco 08-12-2020 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little before and after. So happy not to have to see blue through the grille anymore...

smbrouss70 08-13-2020 01:58 AM

Looks so much better! Did you paint or powder the core support?

gringoloco 08-13-2020 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 8791225)
Looks so much better! Did you paint or powder the core support?

I know, right!? Looks like it’s supposed to. Everything is powder; I figured for $160 for everything it was worth not having to sand, prime, paint, prep, setup, tear down, gun cleaning, blah, blah, blah. I just wish they could do my inner fenders...

What’s not to love about this face? :chevy:

Palf70Step 08-13-2020 10:38 AM

:agree:

C10_ustacould 08-13-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8791168)
Ernie, the cover came from one of these:

Do you know the year, make, and model? The C10 are too small to fit over the AAW plug.

**EDIT** Duh, there's a part number right on the thing! :lol:

darkhorse970 08-14-2020 05:46 AM

Very Nice!

65StreetCruiser 08-14-2020 06:10 AM

Looks great Chris!

gringoloco 08-14-2020 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8791347)
:agree:

Thanks Bill, I agree with your agreement :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by C10_ustacould (Post 8791620)
Do you know the year, make, and model? The C10 are too small to fit over the AAW plug.

**EDIT** Duh, there's a part number right on the thing! :lol:

Yup, that’s the one. It only fits one way, so be sure you want the screws east-west, not north-south. There are other types of covers out there, too, but it’s tough to find dimensions online.
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse970 (Post 8791843)
Very Nice!

Thanks Keith, looking forward to seeing some progress on your 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65StreetCruiser (Post 8791846)
Looks great Chris!

Thanks Kevin. I got that door gap tightened up pretty well by removing the big spacer/washer from the core support bushings. Not perfect, but close enough to tweak in on final assembly.

Also figured out why the wiper mech was binding, we had the linkage in exactly backward. It only fits two ways, we had a 50/50 shot :lol:

knomadd 08-14-2020 10:26 AM

Truck's lookin' good Chris! I really like the voltage regulator idea. I may need to figure out what to do with the one on my GTO... since I updated my alternator it hasn't been connected for about 20 years, but still lives on the firewall. That wire loom looks great too. I'm super happy I used it on all my wires. Even went so far as to cover some hoses. A word of caution though.... if it's the plastic stuff like I have (as opposed to a softer fiber material) it will scratch paint if it moves at all. I have a nice bare spot under my power steering hoses (wrapped with the braided loom) where vibration moves it around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8789906)
SHOTs FIRED!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8790333)
yet another red fluid leaking slushbox :exit:

:haha: I had a good laugh about this whole conversation, but this... I needed a good laugh this morning!

65StreetCruiser 08-15-2020 07:58 AM

Door gaps do look good. Yeah Chris, that's how I roll, if there is a way to put it in backward then backward it will be the first time. lol

smbrouss70 08-15-2020 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65StreetCruiser (Post 8792366)
Door gaps do look good. Yeah Chris, that's how I roll, if there is a way to put it in backward then backward it will be the first time. lol

:haha:

rustytruck50 08-15-2020 04:49 PM

:metal::metal::metal:

rustytruck50 08-15-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65StreetCruiser (Post 8792366)

We must be brothers from different Mothers!:lol::lol::lol:

cornerstone 08-15-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8791301)
What’s not to love about this face? :chevy:

That's always been a pet peeve of mine too. I never understood why design guys failed to fully black out the areas intended to be blacked out. On my white 03' Chevy truck, there are 2 white brackets behind the grille and I keep telling myself I'm gonna paint them black. They stand out so much my eyes go right to them when I look at the grille... kinda like turds floating in a punch bowl, you can't help but notice them.:uhmk:

rustytruck50 08-15-2020 08:29 PM

I agree with your Silverado's white support bars. I work in a Chevy dealer parts department and see those loose on the shelf....the first thing i think when I see them is a large set of BMX handlebars :lol::lol::lol:

chev-obsession 08-16-2020 12:47 AM

I occasionally peak in on this build thread and I love it. I wish I had your patience! Very clean work you do!

LT7A 08-19-2020 09:52 AM

This is good reading and I will be tuned in to see you get it back on the road. Thanks for taking the time to post all the information and tell us about the process – jotted down some notes. Very cool truck. Subtlety and simplicity go a long way in making a spectacular ride. My road-going efforts tend to be a little more Square, but I have always kept an eye on these trucks.

mcbassin 08-20-2020 07:00 AM

I like the steady progress, very clean and fresh!

65StreetCruiser 09-04-2020 08:36 PM

Chris, I picked up the rear gravel guards from Mike tonight. Will see about getting them to you asap. Maybe Steven and I can make another run up to you and deliver them in person or even better at the Marksville show!

TA_C10 09-04-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8791909)

Thanks Kevin. I got that door gap tightened up pretty well by removing the big spacer/washer from the core support bushings. Not perfect, but close enough to tweak in on final assembly.

Would you mind elaborating on this a little more? Are you talking about the 2 main bolts that hold the core support to the frame, or something else? I'm trying to figure out how your door gap is affected... ty sir.

gringoloco 09-05-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chev-obsession (Post 8792896)
I occasionally peak in on this build thread and I love it. I wish I had your patience! Very clean work you do!

Much appreciated :cool: I may have to expedite some of the process; big changes coming again soon for the family
Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8794690)
This is good reading and I will be tuned in to see you get it back on the road. Thanks for taking the time to post all the information and tell us about the process – jotted down some notes. Very cool truck. Subtlety and simplicity go a long way in making a spectacular ride. My road-going efforts tend to be a little more Square, but I have always kept an eye on these trucks.

Thanks a lot! Subtle is definitely my style
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8795189)
I like the steady progress, very clean and fresh!

Thanks, coming right along
Quote:

Originally Posted by 65StreetCruiser (Post 8803264)
Chris, I picked up the rear gravel guards from Mike tonight. Will see about getting them to you asap. Maybe Steven and I can make another run up to you and deliver them in person or even better at the Marksville show!

Awesome, thanks, and that would be great! I should be back in the saddle by then.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TA_C10 (Post 8803349)
Would you mind elaborating on this a little more? Are you talking about the 2 main bolts that hold the core support to the frame, or something else? I'm trying to figure out how your door gap is affected... ty sir.

Yes, removed a big washer/spacer from the core support bushing, which allows the whole front clip to tilt down in the front, aligning the back of the fender with the front of the door. The gap was tight at the cowl and loose at the rocker. Probably the right way to do it is to shim the cab up, but it’s already aligned with the bed and the easier way is to drop to front down a touch.

gringoloco 09-26-2020 01:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
On a little bit of a truck hiatus due to military obligations, but just got the message that my Hart Fab tubs are done. Josh builds high quality, hand-fabricated parts and these should be a real time saver. Stoked on how they turned out :chevy:

SCOTI 09-26-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8813993)
On a little bit of a truck hiatus due to military obligations, but just got the message that my Hart Fab tubs are done. Josh builds high quality, hand-fabricated parts and these should be a real time saver. Stoked on how they turned out :chevy:

His stuff is the shizit!