The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Orefactory4x4 swb 03-31-2023 03:25 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

1 Attachment(s)
I better get something done, maybe some body work.

Jiggers72-GMC 03-31-2023 05:26 PM

If you don't do it ^^^^^^^ no one will :)

zicc1835 03-31-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9183869)
Not much to show but big day man. This has been what's approaching an 8 year project. I'm still waiting on bumpers, upholstery held hostage by a covid economy, hub caps, and the grilles I'll install after the A/C is charged. Beyond that I had one last thing I could possibly do, and that's install the windshield wipers.

I've only seen the truck with a battery say 20 minutes. Everything works so far, but then came what I was waiting for most, the washer pump.

:metal:not a drop. Clicked that dude say a dozen times or so, nothin. Heck I bought the truck in 1989 and it's never worked. But I knew the pump was operable years ago, after I cleaned her out and tore this thing down.

So I thought, what happens if I prime the system by blowing into washer bottle's hose with my lungs. Wholly cow, hit the pump and struck water. Another dozen pumps later and hallelujah.

I also finished the assembly guide I've worked on for this entire ride. Really happy about that. I spent more time on that than actually building the truck.

congratulations ..... and I can remember years ago priming those pumps with my lungs:)

Extended Power 03-31-2023 09:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Picked up new Schott wheels, one piece window kit, all the tailgate trim, billet radiator support brackets, complete 3" exhaust pipe kit, 3" v-bands, and fire sleeve

'68OrangeSunshine 04-01-2023 12:17 AM

Today, on my '71 Jimmy, I R&R'ed the Fuel Filter and replaced the 3/8'' hose connecting it to the carb. I also reattached the lid on my center Console. All 3 screws had worked loose and the lid was flopping all over the place.

I looked into changing out the gasket on the Fuel Sender in the '68 C/10 Stepside. Since I changed out the float last year, the tank was leaking fumes into the cab. Especially when filled up. I had pulled about 9 gallons from the in-cab tank -- syphoned into jerry cans -- so I could operate, but the Special Tool I bought from LMC to remove the sender, lock ring and gasket was nowhere to be found.

72c20customcamper 04-05-2023 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:lol:After a month or so of phone calls and e-mails my seat saga has been resolved . I received three yards of the Dark Fawn material today to redo the 68 seat back. Free of charge they also sent me a check for the estimate from my upholsterer to do the repairs . So all in all I’m happy with the outcome . I’ll post when the seat is fixed most likely a month or so as the shop is extremely busy at this time . Color is dead nuts .

I think they just wanted me to stop calling:lol::lol:

Jiggers72-GMC 04-05-2023 03:36 PM

Right on Mark, glad to see it :)

OregonNed 04-05-2023 03:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've been spending time in the garage waiting for the weather to get better, and polishing the stainless bed bolts and reinstalling. Might even do all of the strip bolts as well.

Already Gone 04-05-2023 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had my original AM Radio redone so is now AM/FM and has Blue Tooth with a built in microphone so can talk hands free. It was recommended by the builder that I use a fixed mast antenna for better reception on the AM so today ordered a complete new fixed mast antenna kit. My truck has the original telescoping antenna now.

CG 04-05-2023 06:35 PM

I looked up the company on the sticker of your radio and they say they are only Mopar and AMC. How did you get them to do your radio?

Jiggers72-GMC 04-05-2023 06:38 PM

Well played on the radio, I see the builder is in Ontario ........... cool

Already Gone 04-05-2023 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 9193883)
I looked up the company on the sticker of your radio and they say they are only Mopar and AMC. How did you get them to do your radio?

Yes u are correct he is mainly does Mopar Restoration stuff but called, I always get a good feeling when the owner of a business answers the phone, and asked if he did Chevy radios he said he could. It says somewhere in the attached link that he can do convesion on any radio.

https://classiccarradiorestoration.com

Steeveedee 04-05-2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 9193876)
I had my original AM Radio redone so is now AM/FM and has Blue Tooth with a built in microphone so can talk hands free. It was recommended by the builder that I use a fixed mast antenna for better reception on the AM so today ordered a complete new fixed mast antenna kit. My truck has the original telescoping antenna now.

Make sure to check with the radio guy, but FM is what uses the fixed mast length, iirc. You'll notice that your old antenna (extendable) was for an AM only radio. My dash was already cut up before I got it, so I got an aftermarket radio with AM/FM Bluetooth. Would have been nice for it to look original, but a lot of other stuff was also changed...

Smitty 04-05-2023 08:19 PM

Took it to the shop to have the Hydro Boost installed. Ever since putting in the Vortec the brakes have been somewhat questionable. The booster was checked and found to be good. Motor just didn't produce enough vacuum with that cam.Should have it back tomorrow.

Micmac 04-05-2023 08:37 PM

Brought home my new 1970 C-30 Dump truck. about 2400 mile round trip to Virginia with my flatbed. I would strongly recommend anyone on the east coast avoid Pennsylvania and New York on I-81 and I-84 at ALL COSTS with a trailer. Massachusetts I-90 is not congruent with towing either. I shot up I-91 into Vermont to exit 3 and cut across New Hampshire. Beautiful ride. My 2500 Diesel preformed and towed flawlessly.Fortunately no mishaps at all (other than a trailer license tag flying off in PA whilst banging about on the beautiful roads), just those states listed above got terrible roads, and 2 of them charge money to ride on em. I've tried everything I know to post a photo. Sorry, beyond my skillset, or an Apple doesn't play well here. Once I get the road off me I'll figure this photo stuff.

72c20customcamper 04-07-2023 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started to put the bed wood back in hopefully for the last time . I thing I got some grinding dust on it and with moisture it turned the wood a blackish blue . I get the same when I’m milling any type of oak . Just the blade hitting the wood causes the tannins in the wood to turn blue . This time I used spar urethane to seal it not just an oil finish like before

zicc1835 04-07-2023 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micmac (Post 9193918)
Brought home my new 1970 C-30 Dump truck. about 2400 mile round trip to Virginia with my flatbed. I would strongly recommend anyone on the east coast avoid Pennsylvania and New York on I-81 and I-84 at ALL COSTS with a trailer. Massachusetts I-90 is not congruent with towing either. I shot up I-91 into Vermont to exit 3 and cut across New Hampshire. Beautiful ride. My 2500 Diesel preformed and towed flawlessly.Fortunately no mishaps at all (other than a trailer license tag flying off in PA whilst banging about on the beautiful roads), just those states listed above got terrible roads, and 2 of them charge money to ride on em. I've tried everything I know to post a photo. Sorry, beyond my skillset, or an Apple doesn't play well here. Once I get the road off me I'll figure this photo stuff.

please try again Im a fan of c-30s & dumps..... what I do if you have a Mac export the photo to the desktop then start the process of manage attachments hope that helps

Chevys4life 04-09-2023 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed new steering wheel today. I can steer this thing a little better now since the wheel itself is smaller.

Micmac 04-09-2023 01:35 PM

^^^^^
Very Nice!

Micmac 04-09-2023 01:35 PM

Still working on the photo thingy. Years ago I used to post on here using photo bucket. I'm asking my distinguished panel of experts now!

EdwardSams 04-09-2023 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replaced the vent windows and weatherstripping.

Cruise time!

HO455 04-09-2023 02:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Not really on the truck but I've been trying to make a decision on fabric for the door panels on my 67. I just haven't seen the perfect one yet.

3757chevy 04-09-2023 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Other than doing the driveway shuffle so our company has plenty of room to park for Easter Dinner , I've done nothing.

ghackett1 04-10-2023 07:24 AM

What I did:

The gate sweep on my 4 speed Hurst shifter seemed to be off a little when moving R to L in neutral. Turned out the shift lever on 3&4 had pulled away from the tranny. Cause — the bolt that secures it had loosened somewhat, so I pushed it back in and retightened. The gate is perfect now. ��

Micmac 04-10-2023 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zicc1835 (Post 9194497)
please try again Im a fan of c-30s & dumps..... what I do if you have a Mac export the photo to the desktop then start the process of manage attachments hope that helps

It seems the news iPhones don't take jpeg photo's. Every time I try to upload a photo get invalid format. I'm not giving up that easy though.

OregonNed 04-10-2023 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The polishing continues before show season out here in the PNW

67C10Step 04-10-2023 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed new Steele Rubber push on door seals last week and took the truck on it's longest drive since putting it back on the road. Wife and I made a 104 mile round trip to deliver some LED shop lights to a buddy. Been making 30-40 mile trips regularly and have a couple of trips planned for June/July that will be longer so stretching its legs a bit.

Danyo492 04-10-2023 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the motor drained of all fluids, wiring harness removed and shift linkage disconnected. Going to be pulling the motor in the next couple of weeks hopefully!

zellway 04-12-2023 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First day running the a/c and its such a nice upgrade. only in the mid 90's today but truck did great. Might need to tint it but it kept it nice and cool all day today.

3757chevy 04-12-2023 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What happened to spring? We go from cold and wind to hot and wind . [flip for you]

Trio 04-12-2023 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 9194957)
Installed new steering wheel today. I can steer this thing a little better now since the wheel itself is smaller.

Looks great. Source / link?

Casper42 04-13-2023 11:09 PM

pulled down and out the 23 year old checkered spare tire that wouldn't hold air, found a very nice used replacement, mounted it, stuck 'er back up underneath, and topped it off with a new repop carrier nut - it had just a standard nut before.

pjmoreland 04-16-2023 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Started the process of rebuilding a set of buddy bucket seats.

'68OrangeSunshine 04-16-2023 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9196995)
Started the process of rebuilding a set of buddy bucket seats.

Ya know, PJ, that Buddy Buckets would be wasted in a Stepside Cab. Send 'em to me and I will put them in Blue Thunder, my '71 GMC Jimmy. After you're finished, of course, and a light/medium blue vinyl would be appreciated...
:lol:

pjmoreland 04-16-2023 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9197018)
Ya know, PJ, that Buddy Buckets would be wasted in a Stepside Cab. Send 'em to me and I will put them in Blue Thunder, my '71 GMC Jimmy. After you're finished, of course, and a light/medium blue vinyl would be appreciated...
:lol:

If my memory serves me, there's a nice orange stepside cab in the Tucson area that already has a pair of bucket seats in it!!

Rust_never_sleeps 04-17-2023 01:32 AM

Went to replace the rear brake hose, crimped the snot out of the hard line(front to back) instead, so I started unbuttoning that line and making a new one.

72c20customcamper 04-17-2023 05:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started to cut up my new carpet to install the seat . Using an old set of brackets to mark it out

zicc1835 04-17-2023 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9197273)
Started to cut up my new carpet to install the seat . Using an old set of brackets to mark it out

great idea thanks for sharing

'68OrangeSunshine 04-17-2023 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9197020)
If my memory serves me, there's a nice orange stepside cab in the Tucson area that already has a pair of bucket seats in it!!

Actually, that's a '69 Ford Thunderbird seat with bench seat, bucket backs and a fold-down center cushion in the Orange '68 C/10 Stepside. Also it was once electrically-adjustable. Not much swing with the Tank in the cab, though. I don't have the 6-axis switch connected bc it draws over 30 Amps. [Once I ran some handy 12/14 gauge brown wire to feed it. I forgot that was Fuseable Link line. After I adjusted the seat, the switch stuck in ON, and my ''brown wire'' cooked off. I grabbed it with my bare hand to yank it off, and branded a line across my left palm.]

The Jimmy needs new seats badly. The ones the PO put in are out of a Firebird/Camaro car from thre mid-80s. The foam was molded around the springs, and it's shot. Sharp pokey things pop up into one's posterior. And at the rear, the brackets are lag-bolted into 4''x 4'' blocks of wood. A head on collision will be fatal.

It's the '67 Suburban, I'm thinking of Buddy Buckets in. Shotgun rider could ''lay aft'' and check on the load, [or retrieve a cold one] from the back while underway.
Current stock '67 vintage bench seat is OK. Would be great after reupholstering.

Just kidding. Keep your seats. You found them. You build them. Only fair.

Casper42 04-17-2023 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tilt column and 15" OE style wheel