The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

mikebte 11-29-2018 10:03 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8394975)
I got out to the garage and added a few more strips of wood than I had up in the attic in the garage so I could put the hood halves up there until I am ready for them.
I then removed some bolts from the gas tank brackets and a crossmember. It's the first time I have actually touched the truck in over a week and it felt good.
Brian

I love how we all adapt in different ways when working in tight places. The stuff we put up with when working on our trucks.
;)

MARTINSR 11-29-2018 11:27 AM

Got to make due. They are all nicely primed, I realistically could put them outside but just couldn't see myself doing that after all the work on them!

Brian

DransportGarage 11-29-2018 09:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I needed to upholster the panel behind the seat so I could install it and run wires to/through it. The power antenna had to go in first. All of the wires going to the roof are in as well, along with the few controls and A/C vents that go into the dash. Center speakers mounted in the dash and wired. Wiper mechanism installed. No sooner did I have the rear panel in that I realized I have to pull it to put in the lower outside seat belt brackets and the "B" pillar brackets. That'll be tomorrow.

Later: I just realized that the headliner has to be in before I put in the seat belt "B" pillar brackets and it's not upholstered. I'll have to think about all of this...

MARTINSR 11-29-2018 10:52 PM

You are making a hell of a beautiful truck for sure.

Brian

MARTINSR 11-29-2018 11:57 PM

Tonight the cab got unbolted from the cart, cleared the way to get it off, probably won't happen until Saturday but I'll find something tomorrow.

Brian

DransportGarage 11-30-2018 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8395621)
You are making a hell of a beautiful truck for sure.

Brian

Thanks, Brian. I've got a lot of folks on this forum to thank for all of the ideas, encouragement and tips.

mikebte 11-30-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8395545)
I needed to upholster the panel behind the seat so I could install it and run wires to/through it. The power antenna had to go in first. All of the wires going to the roof are in as well, along with the few controls and A/C vents that go into the dash. Center speakers mounted in the dash and wired. Wiper mechanism installed. No sooner did I have the rear panel in that I realized I have to pull it to put in the lower outside seat belt brackets and the "B" pillar brackets. That'll be tomorrow.

Later: I just realized that the headliner has to be in before I put in the seat belt "B" pillar brackets and it's not upholstered. I'll have to think about all of this...

Very nice, I like all the one off personal touches. That is what makes the truck unique.

DransportGarage 11-30-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8395839)
Very nice, I like all the one off personal touches. That is what makes the truck unique.

Thanks, Mike. As Ogre knows, it's almost as unique as his truck, because I stole a lot of his ideas. Kudos to Ogre! :D

evilokc 12-01-2018 11:41 AM

ive been neglecting work on my truck. I have been driving it though. I need to get out and do about 2 hours of work and get my heater going but I have been concentration on my daily driver. everything I own is broken. well not broken but it all needs some maintenance.

DransportGarage 12-01-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8396536)
ive been neglecting work on my truck. I have been driving it though. I need to get out and do about 2 hours of work and get my heater going but I have been concentration on my daily driver. everything I own is broken. well not broken but it all needs some maintenance.

Sometimes life gets in the way. Ask me how I know...

MARTINSR 12-01-2018 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My plans for lifting the cab off the cart have changed a little.:waah: I was going to use floor jacks on each side with a 2x6 board under the length of the rocker cowl to rear of the cab. Then I started thinking about the crazy balancing act that would be and the thought of having the cab roll off like a ball onto the garage floor gave me the shakes!

So last night I got the cherry picker out planning on starting one of those wooden braces under roof to lift it......then I see that with the chopping and sectioning of the cab and the big cherry picker I have I will have to go over the top of the cab! So I will be making a more complex piece for that, we will see!

That is my project today.

I also got a load of strap metal and wheels I had from my sons Falcon, that FILLED my little F100 bed trailer down to the shop to throw in the metal bin last night. That is always good, getting crap out of the yard!

Brian

crossfire84 12-01-2018 02:31 PM

So last night I got the cherry picker out planning on starting one of those wooden braces under roof to lift it......then I see that with the chopping and sectioning of the cab and the big cherry picker I have I will have to go over the top of the cab! So I will be making a more complex piece for that.

Brian[/QUOTE]

Why not use a strap?

MARTINSR 12-01-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossfire84 (Post 8396634)
Quote:

So last night I got the cherry picker out planning on starting one of those wooden braces under roof to lift it......then I see that with the chopping and sectioning of the cab and the big cherry picker I have I will have to go over the top of the cab! So I will be making a more complex piece for that.

Brian
Why not use a strap?

That just seems so slippery!

Brian

dsraven 12-01-2018 03:13 PM

just make the wooden part long enough to attach some uprights on the outside ends. then make another mirror image wooden part that goes above the cab and attaches to those uprights with pins that pull out easily. that way there is no slipping of the strap and the cherry picker idea still works. ensure to make it long enough to attach the picker and lift but not hit the cab.

dsraven 12-01-2018 03:16 PM

you could even use the single wooden part above the cab, like a spreader bar used by cranes, then drop down some J style hooks to slip into the door openings. just would possibly be slippery in the door opening area.
you'll figure it out, you always come up with something innovative.

idbeast 12-01-2018 03:33 PM

straps bend the little rain channels above the doors. I use the wooden framing under the door jambs, with a second one with stand offs over the roof to keep the lifting straps from doing any damage. Unfortunately I can't find the pictures right now.

Jim

MARTINSR 12-01-2018 08:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After I did this I went into the house to get my wife and daughter to show them what an awesome dad and husband they have, just incase they didn't know really how awesome I was.:D

I rolled the cab back onto the rolls of bubble rap I laid on the garage floor and wham-o-bam-o it went back like it was nothing, like laying over a cardboard box, wham, done.

Also got the rear fenders up in the attic to get them out of the way until I need them in the future. I also relocated my inspirational picture so I can still see it. :D

I spent some time cleaning it up a little more and gave up for the day.

Brian

svr 12-02-2018 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steering column in

svr 12-02-2018 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a bracket to hold master cylinder res.

evilokc 12-02-2018 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sound this in the kitchen last night when I came in from the garage

DransportGarage 12-02-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8397320)

Ruh-Roh...

DransportGarage 12-02-2018 04:51 PM

It's 65 degrees in SW Ohio this afternoon, so I'm painting some small parts in a 40-MPH wind.

dsraven 12-02-2018 05:59 PM

stand up wind, use high temp reducer,
don't park your good stuff close, lol

MARTINSR 12-02-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8397320)

LOLOL, I love that, "The management." Sounds like you have a nice lady to share life with.

Brian

MARTINSR 12-02-2018 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope to get more done but this kicked my butt. Went to Harbor Fake tools and got some discs to keep going, I may get out there for some more.

Brian