The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

Marty68 09-27-2019 11:10 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

3 Attachment(s)
I had paid someone to bend up tailpipes to go out the back. I noticed exhaust leak and discovered Ray Charles welded it up.
I cut it apart ordered a couple 90 degree mandrel bends and a couple 45s.
I cut the mufflers off moved them forward and dumped it out the side. One side done tonight other side

MiraclePieCo 09-27-2019 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8600113)
I noticed exhaust leak and discovered Ray Charles welded it up.

I thought for a minute that it was a Stevie Wonder weld ;)

Marty68 09-28-2019 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8600266)
I thought for a minute that it was a Stevie Wonder weld ;)

Ray Charles was the welder.. Stevie Wonder quality control inspector.

Black_Sheep 09-28-2019 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found the route for The Cruise for the Troops and figured out a nice place to sit and watch the cars go by.

MiraclePieCo 09-28-2019 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8600829)
I found the route for The Cruise for the Troops and figured out a nice place to sit and watch the cars go by.

My wife says your truck is her favorite car color.

MARTINSR 09-28-2019 10:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today I started my "five minute a day" plan once again. This particular plan isn't working ON the truck though, I am MILES away from that. This five minute a day plan is working on changing the garage from a storage unit to a workshop. And I swear, it's going to be about as much work as finishing the truck! I am MILES away from being able to work on the truck.

So tonight, I got the side box cleared out and mounted to the box and filled back up with the tool (largely air tools like DAs and that stuff) and damn it, I got something done!

Brian

nvrdone 09-28-2019 10:40 PM

good for you. progress is progress. and we do need to have a great "studio" to produce our best work.

evilokc 09-28-2019 11:26 PM

started my truck for the first time in about a month. had it taken apart to install the a/c then again to find the leak in the a/c system and then I left the state for a bit. got back at it tonight. fired right up like it was waiting for me.

DransportGarage 09-29-2019 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8600961)
Today I started my "five minute a day" plan once again. This particular plan isn't working ON the truck though, I am MILES away from that. This five minute a day plan is working on changing the garage from a storage unit to a workshop. And I swear, it's going to be about as much work as finishing the truck! I am MILES away from being able to work on the truck.

So tonight, I got the side box cleared out and mounted to the box and filled back up with the tool (largely air tools like DAs and that stuff) and damn it, I got something done!

Brian

As the Chinese proverb in the Tao Te Ching says, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

MARTINSR 09-29-2019 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You may not be impressed but if you knew how much work I had to do to get that bench in there! I could have gotten a heck of a lot done on the truck with that work I'll tell you that!

Part of it was getting my '56 out of a box in the garage and parked in the living room.

Brian

Daze57 09-30-2019 03:21 AM

had to readjust valves for the 3rd and final time --------no big deal ------but ya gotta get it right

MiraclePieCo 09-30-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 8601610)
had to readjust valves for the 3rd and final time --------no big deal ------but ya gotta get it right

Did you do it static or with the motor running? I have a pair of cut-out valve covers I use to do running valve adjustments without getting oil everywhere.

MiraclePieCo 09-30-2019 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be using the original-style rubber floor mat in my truck. Today I cut it out around the shifter, throttle and dimmer switch using a pattern that I had made from butcher paper. Also cut the jute pad underneath. No spray glue left so installation will have to wait for a trip to the store.

MARTINSR 09-30-2019 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8602087)
I'll be using the original-style rubber floor mat in my truck. Today I cut it out around the shifter, throttle and dimmer switch using a pattern that I had made from butcher paper. Also cut the jute pad underneath. No spray glue left so installation will have to wait for a trip to the store.

Good stuff! :metal:

Worked very late, came home arranged some wrenches..............that was it.

Brian

DransportGarage 10-01-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8602121)
Good stuff! :metal:

Worked very late, came home arranged some wrenches..............that was it.

Brian

What's this "worked" stuff? I thought you retired to Idaho.

MARTINSR 10-01-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8602251)
What's this "worked" stuff? I thought you retired to Idaho.

Oh no, I am not a retiring kinda guy, at least not while I can still do it. The month+ I had off was hard enough! :lol: Nope, working full time (with a bunch of overtime even) estimating at a large shop.

Brian

oldman3 10-01-2019 08:00 PM

Congrats to MiraclePieCo., winner for TOTM...Jim

DransportGarage 10-01-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8602566)
congrats to miraclepieco., winner for totm...jim

awesome !!!

MiraclePieCo 10-01-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8602566)
Congrats to MiraclePieCo., winner for TOTM...Jim

Thanks for your promo Jim; it was a close contest and you helped me over the top. Us AD guys gotta stick together!

And thanks so much to everyone who voted for my truck. It was enough of an honor just to enter; actually winning is beyond my wildest dreams. It's my birthday this week too - best present ever!!! :metal:

MiraclePieCo 10-01-2019 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To recap, instead of carpet I'm going with OEM-style rubber floor mat. Today I glued the jute backing to the rubber.

MARTINSR 10-02-2019 12:07 AM

Got some arranging done in the garage. WHOO HOOOOO! But most important I found a quilt my wife has been looking for in the boxes from the move. It was totally random and we had no plan it was there, that was good stuff for sure!

Brian

Daze57 10-02-2019 12:58 PM

did the valve adjust with engine not running and cold --- i think i got it this time wasnt difficult -- good youtube videos on it ....learned alot good info out there .

MiraclePieCo 10-02-2019 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed my OEM-style rubber floor mat today. As a career gas tanker driver, for me rubber floors seem very appropriate for a truck. Durable and easy to clean too.

PS: That blue wire hanging down is for my windshield wipers, whenever I get around to installing them.

DransportGarage 10-02-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8603089)
Installed my OEM-style rubber floor mat today. As a career gas tanker driver, for me rubber floors seem very appropriate for a truck. Durable and easy to clean too.

PS: That blue wire hanging down is for my windshield wipers, whenever I get around to installing them.

Nice! Very neat job.

fourspeedwagon 10-03-2019 01:41 AM

Quote:

Installed my OEM-style rubber floor mat today. As a career gas tanker driver, for me rubber floors seem very appropriate for a truck. Durable and easy to clean too

Looks great (from a milk tanker driver’s eyes)
Congratulations on the TOTM too. I was wondering when we’d find out. Pretty sure this is the first time I’ve actually voted in it

MiraclePieCo 10-03-2019 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8603137)
Nice! Very neat job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourspeedwagon (Post 8603193)
Looks great (from a milk tanker driver’s eyes)
Congratulations on the TOTM too. I was wondering when we’d find out. Pretty sure this is the first time I’ve actually voted in it

Thanks guys, I'm still on Cloud Nine.

Marty68 10-03-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

very nice congrats on totm

idbeast 10-03-2019 08:05 AM

my 5 minutes for the week summed up... Monday, got my bed cover installed. Tuesday got my exhaust rerouted under the newly installed rear bumper, only to have the fuel pump quit working on the way home resulting in a tow truck ride home. Wednesday decided the best way to get the in tank fuel pump out was to remove the bed boards and move the cross bed support rail back enough to get the pump out. Power not getting to the pump. completely rewired all fuel pump wiring from under dash to 1 1/2 inches from pump. Reinstalled the pump, then later today reinstall the bed wood.

Jim W

idbeast 10-03-2019 01:26 PM

Forgot to add that while waiting for the Tow Truck a truck flipped up a rock that chipped the paint on the top of the driver's side rear fender then bounced at shattered the outside rear view mirror.

Jesse Z 10-04-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8603344)
Forgot to add that while waiting for the Tow Truck a truck flipped up a rock that chipped the paint on the top of the driver's side rear fender then bounced at shattered the outside rear view mirror.

AAARRRGGGHHHH! How and why does stuff like that happen????

DransportGarage 10-05-2019 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just glued the window felts in after two days of generally screwing around with them. Good enough for who it's for:

Black_Sheep 10-05-2019 02:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I haven’t been 100% happy with the brakes on the ‘58 so I am going to replace the master cylinder with a new NAPA premium one. I also picked up some reman Raybestos calipers and Raybestos wheel cylinders. All of the brake hoses are going on too. Today all of the raw iron stuff is being prepped and painted so it will be ready to go on when I have the time.

regan56 10-05-2019 04:10 PM

Working on rebuilding the front end of my legacy project 56. Just trying to punch the kingpins out now.

OE straight axle gonna have 2" drop springs and disc brake conversion.

MiraclePieCo 10-05-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8604385)
Just glued the window felts in after two days of generally screwing around with them. Good enough for who it's for:

Clever holding system. Looks great.

DransportGarage 10-05-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8604481)
Clever holding system. Looks great.

Thanks, MPC. Voted for you, and for me it wasn't even close. Congrats !!!

oldman3 10-05-2019 11:32 PM

Looks good Mark...Jim

MiraclePieCo 10-06-2019 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8604628)
Thanks, MPC. Voted for you, and for me it wasn't even close. Congrats !!!

Thanks! Just a matter of time until your truck is nominated and I'm voting for you!

69CST4x4SWB 10-06-2019 05:27 AM

Quote:

Looks great and congrats on the win! You had my vote btw... love panels! I drove for several years myself and also love the rubber floor mat. I have a new replacement for my '69 in the garage.

MiraclePieCo 10-06-2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CST4x4SWB (Post 8604701)
Looks great and congrats on the win! You had my vote btw... love panels! I drove for several years myself and also love the rubber floor mat. I have a new replacement for my '69 in the garage.

Thanks! Where in Oregon are you? I'm at the far south end of the state.

69CST4x4SWB 10-06-2019 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8604705)
Thanks! Where in Oregon are you? I'm at the far south end of the state.

I'm in the Eugene area, my mother-in-law lives in Ashland. You must be in the Medford area. I had a cousin that use to drive for Benito.