The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

jbgroby 01-16-2011 04:37 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Those look comfy

jbgroby 01-16-2011 07:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Today was a good day, I got fired up from the painter and decided to finally exchange the older style oil filter cartridge for the spin on type. I've only had the adaptor for about 2 years or so. These are supposed to be on the rare side.

losthope 01-16-2011 08:54 PM

drove the 65 to pick-n-pull and got a steering column from a mid 80's chevy truck for the 63 and been reading for about a hour now on forum about how to install it....think ill start tackling it tomorrow after work.

lakeroadster 01-17-2011 04:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My instrument lights weren't coming on... figured that out today: ground issue and a bad bulb. Also finished electrical connections for all gauges except Water Temp., need to install sending unit.

Nice to have gauges again!

Oil Pressure: 40 PSI
Volts: 15
Vacuum: 8 inches
Idle RPM: 1000 (choke)

Sorry for the crappy photos:

markeb01 01-17-2011 05:13 PM

What kind of cam are you running?

lakeroadster 01-17-2011 05:42 PM

Mark,

I have no idea what cam the 350 has. It's not stock though. Once the motor warms up it has a noticeable lope.

Also, I just posted a thread over in the engine forum. The PO has the vacuum advance line running to the "ported" vacuum line on my Edelbrock carb. and that's the line I tee'd into for the vacuum gauge.

I am not a tuner but.....
I believe it is better to run the vacuum advance line to the "full-time" vacuum port.

I think the reading I am getting on my gauge is likely not the real "full" vacuum reading.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated, and should probably be posted here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=441207

markeb01 01-17-2011 06:03 PM

That's what caught my interest and the cam question. Should be closer to 18" with a stock cam. You'll no doubt get a much higher gauge reading on a full manifold vacuum port. I’ve done a lot of reading on where the vacuum advance should connect, and it’s interesting how such complete opposite opinions are strongly asserted as the “right” answer.

Certainly the factory intended the vacuum advance to connect to ported vacuum, so the distributor would advance as the throttle opened and vacuum increased. But I’ve read just as many opinions claiming better performance running full vacuum, keeping the timing up from idle, and as it drops off at wide open throttle the engine is going fast enough for the mechanical advance to take over, if the distributor is curved correctly. I think the real answer is – whatever works best on your particular engine is the correct way!

66farmer 01-17-2011 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
John
Your truck is realy coming together I like your personal touchs. I got my frame done tank installed. I did it like yours but a little different.
Keith

Rich 5150 69 01-17-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 4418578)
I think the real answer is – whatever works best on your particular engine is the correct way!

Thats the conclusion I`ve come to in the last 15 years, several cars I `ve worked on other than my own where people have had them set to ported, we`ve tried it both ways, some stayed the same some have switched, a lot has to do with all the other variables.

lakeroadster 01-17-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 4418578)
That's what caught my interest and the cam question. Should be closer to 18" (vacuum) with a stock cam......

One thing to keep in mind... I am in Colorado. You loose 1" of vacuum for every 1,000 ft above sea level. I therefore lost 5-1/4" of vacuum.
Mark and Rich,
I had no idea I was walking into such a controversial topic.... seems to me based on what I have read there are a few variables that make full vaccum better for a mild to wild motor. For stock the ported vacuum is the way to go. That being said my Model A has a high strung 350 sbc and it is set-up ported vacuum. Runs great from idle to WOT. So I agree with you and Mark, whatever works best on your particular engine is the correct way.
Keith,
Sweet looking install on your rear mount gas tank. Glad it worked out for ya!
Did you paint the tank or did it come that way?

66farmer 01-17-2011 09:46 PM

It came silver like yours I painted it gray.

Cobblemizer 01-18-2011 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Daughter and I removed the front bumper.grille and core support. I took the core support to work today and welded it back together as all the welds where broke and the ones the po did looked half***ed.

Miller92 01-18-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66farmer (Post 4419030)
John
Your truck is realy coming together I like your personal touchs. I got my frame done tank installed. I did it like yours but a little different.
Keith

If you don't mind me askin, What'd that tank come out of? I've got to find one for my pickup.

Miller92 01-18-2011 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fixed the door latch and window, and got my rollpan put on.

k1rodeoboater 01-18-2011 10:00 PM

Got my carb tuned...well at least good enough for now as a full tune up is in my very near future. It's holding about 19PSI @ 600-750 RPMs.

Installed a jeep door stop into my passenger door, was missing the nuts for the other one which I will need to get Thursday or Friday.

Aside from that...I found out I actually have working backup lights!!! that was a pleasant surprise. Now if only I could get my parking lights to work, they work as turn signals but not as parking lights...go figure.

<edit> speaking of the parking lamps...are they supposed to even function as parking lamps when the headlights are on or is it only for turn signals?

Rich 5150 69 01-18-2011 10:00 PM

Blew off another 5.0 mustang....Hey he started it....:lol:

sams60gmc 01-18-2011 10:21 PM

Sanded the bondo on my firewall until my hand started to cramp up, then sanded some more. Headed back out there to sand more, and more and more!

TwoFiftyShifter 01-19-2011 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller92 (Post 4421863)
Fixed the door latch and window, and got my rollpan put on.

Rollpan looks sweet.

With all ths snow and ice covering my truck, I was able to install my freshly painted small block, put my chassis together and throw the body on for a test fit. Talk about productive!!! :lol:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...0117112245.jpg

lakeroadster 01-19-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller92 (Post 4421861)
If you don't mind me askin, What'd that tank come out of? I've got to find one for my pickup.

It's a "new" 49-52 Chevy Passenger Car Tank. Check out this link, details and parts list are in the photo description: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2445...03882008nqlTjk

knuckledragger 01-19-2011 11:50 AM

Assembled thr right hand front suspension.Started on the left dropped lower control arm and ordered some rear suspension parts and a new radiator.

markeb01 01-19-2011 12:21 PM

You've made a lot of progress there! I'm about to achieve the same results, although I'm adding a 73 bed! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoFiftyShifter (Post 4422619)
Rollpan looks sweet.

With all ths snow and ice covering my truck, I was able to install my freshly painted small block, put my chassis together and throw the body on for a test fit. Talk about productive!!! :lol:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...0117112245.jpg

lakeroadster 01-19-2011 06:46 PM

Ever drain a radiator that doesn't have a drain petcock? Me neither until today.

Previous Owners are a mystery to me.... my truck had a pipe plug in the radiator? Once I drained out all the anti-freeze, cleaned up the shop floor and changed my clothes I went to NAPA and bought a $3 drain petcock.

$3 bucks... really.... to cheap to instal a $3 petcock? :banghead:

Installed the petcock, installed a new temperature sensor into the drivers side head location, hooked up the sensor to the gauge and filled up the radiator.

Next I re-routed my vacuum lines, leaving the distributor hooked to the ported vacuum, and hooking up my new vacuum gage to the full vacuum port.

I started up the truck:
  • Temperature gage went to 210, thermostat opened and it dropped to 180 and held steady.
  • Vacuum gage now shows about 12 inches, which is about right for a "mile high" sbc.
Gauges = data, data = knowledge, and knowledge is guud. :lol:

Rich 5150 69 01-19-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1rodeoboater (Post 4421900)
Got my carb tuned...well at least good enough for now as a full tune up is in my very near future. It's holding about 19PSI @ 600-750 RPMs.

Installed a jeep door stop into my passenger door, was missing the nuts for the other one which I will need to get Thursday or Friday.

Aside from that...I found out I actually have working backup lights!!! that was a pleasant surprise. Now if only I could get my parking lights to work, they work as turn signals but not as parking lights...go figure.

<edit> speaking of the parking lamps...are they supposed to even function as parking lamps when the headlights are on or is it only for turn signals?

`66 on up came on with head lites, you can bridge the contacts with a jumper wire on the lite switch to have the same...http://www.6066gmcguy.org/lighting/1...ght-switch.jpg
Connect #7 to # 4

markeb01 01-19-2011 09:25 PM

I couldn’t restrain myself any longer so I cleaned and polished my rear wheels and got them back on the truck. So for the first time in about 20 years it has 4 matching wheels. It’s weird how different the camera sees this paint depending on the lighting conditions. These photos were taken about 15 minutes apart from different angles, and I’ve made no color adjustments to the pictures:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7774/000aqx.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4869/001atf.jpg

CVA59 01-19-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 4424194)
I couldn’t restrain myself any longer so I cleaned and polished my rear wheels and got them back on the truck. So for the first time in about 20 years it has 4 matching wheels. It’s weird how different the camera sees this paint depending on the lighting conditions. These photos were taken about 15 minutes apart from different angles, and I’ve made no color adjustments to the pictures:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/7774/000aqx.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4869/001atf.jpg

Love the truck and the wheels!