The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "New" '59! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=536054)

jam-bo383 07-29-2012 03:54 PM

"New" '59!

4 Attachment(s)
Just traded my '78 Jimmy for this yesterday, and I couldn't be happier! Very little rust, all-new engine, rebuilt tranny, new drive shaft, rebuilt Chevelle rear end. Only hassle is that a '62 Corvette clip was installed, so I will be replacing with a Camaro clip. Wheels/tires are brand new, & it has a Flaming River stainless tilt column. Not sure on engine specs, but she fires right up & sounds plenty healthy. The tear down starts this weekend with plans to build a solid, road-worthy driver. Can't wait to get dirty!

beanyard 07-29-2012 04:13 PM

Re: "New" '59!

Very cool
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Foreman 07-29-2012 05:22 PM

Looks like a nice find, dig them fleetsides!

Dan in Pasadena 07-29-2012 05:31 PM

Now THAT's gonna be nice, What are your cosmetic plans for it? I assume a grille is in order? Oh...and a real gas tank would be nice too, ha ha!

_Ogre 07-29-2012 06:10 PM

nice 4 eyed fleetside truck
looks like good metal to start with
we've all had that same seat at one time :D

1project2many 07-29-2012 06:35 PM

Oooh... telescoping tilt column. I've worked on plenty of those. If ya need parts, believe it or not, you're more likely to find them in a C60 than anywhere else.

Why not keep the Vette clip??

jam-bo383 07-29-2012 06:45 PM

From everything I've read, the 'Vette clip is not much of an improvement over stock. It has drum brakes and getting the ride height the way I want will be a bit more difficult. I'd rather re-clip the frame using a method that will get the height down while maintaining geometry/ride. Plus, the Camaro steering will be tighter and smoother, as well as the handling. As far as plans, I did my Blazer in Hot Rod black, & I love the look. So, we're doing black with Chevy Atomic orange on the bed-bullets and on the window section of the cab. It will have a static drop with narrowed rear end and c-notch. Full exhaust w/cats and all. I'd really like a '57 front end, but If i keep it as is, I'm going with the GMC grille. It just looks better than the Chevy.

meter swinger 07-29-2012 07:12 PM

Yeah buddy. now you got yerrself a real "square body" :lol:.
congrats on the swap!:metal::metal::metal:

Kim57 07-30-2012 12:33 AM

Welcome. Looks like a real nice start. Be sure and keep us up to date with plenty of pics.
Kim

entourageguy 07-30-2012 10:14 AM

Keep the 4 eyes!

Wheelie 07-30-2012 07:02 PM

Cool truck! Just FYI that is not a corvette front end. There is not a corvette chassis that has those type motor mounts or a sway bar that passes through the frame. You may want to look again at that. Good luck on the project!! :)

OrrieG 07-30-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wheelie (Post 5514066)
Cool truck! Just FYI that is not a corvette front end. There is not a corvette chassis that has those type motor mounts or a sway bar that passes through the frame. You may want to look again at that. Good luck on the project!! :)

Time to pull the dog house so we can all take a look and help ID it!

jam-bo383 07-30-2012 11:02 PM

Hmmm.. I'll have to look into that. I haven't paid much attention to the clip simply because I will be redoing it anyway! Lol! I didn't even notice the sway bar passing through like that. I know that the mounts were fabbed by the previous owner. The engine sits crooked. The tear-down starts this weekend, and the bed will be straight and primed as well. I've already located a Camaro clip and have rebuild components ordered for it. I know it's been said before, but this will be a fairly quick build (for what I'm wanting to do with it). The truck is in such good shape and we're not farming out any work, so we're not beholden to anybody else's "schedules". I'm definitely keeping a photo record of this one. First order of business upon completion will be to hand the keys to my Dad so he can take my Mom out to the drive-in! Any tips you guys can offer will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Wheelie 08-28-2012 09:14 PM

Camaro clip is the way to go and easiest for the DIY for the money. I did the same thing on my shop truck. I kind of have a "how to" on the clip install in my build thread if you want to check it out. Just remember to measure a million times and keep everything level!

jam-bo383 08-29-2012 07:30 AM

Thanks, Wheelie! Man, there's been so much going on that I haven't had time to hardly touch the truck at all. Bummer. Fortunately, i have absolutely nothing going on this weekend, and it happens to be a 3 day weekend! I located a '55 front end, and will begin tearing it down Saturday. I'll check your build thread for some direction. Thanks again!

focusedontheprize 08-29-2012 08:09 AM

Great looking project to start with.

You have any pictures of your '78 you traded for it?

Static all the way...

jam-bo383 08-29-2012 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the Blazer I traded. I had done a lot of work to it, but, honestly, I lost interest as it sat in the body shop for about 7 months. Besides, the '55-'59 trucks are higher up on the "gotta have" list!

meter swinger 08-29-2012 12:19 PM

Nice K5.:metal:
A 2wd K5 is on my "someday list" especially the round eye kind. However you made the right choice. Squares are still relitively inexpensive, 55-59's in decent shape are a different story.

lankster35 09-11-2012 10:23 PM

My new '59....

1 Attachment(s)
My 59 Apache 31

OrrieG 09-11-2012 11:32 PM

Did you figure out what the clip is?

jam-bo383 09-12-2012 12:53 AM

It is a '62 'Vette clip that was modified. I haven't had a chance to get to that thing in a while, but I'll be posting some pics within the next 2 weeks or so. Had a paying job (body/paint) take precedence, so the '59 got put on hold for a little bit. Different truck, same story, huh?!

jam-bo383 10-14-2012 07:12 PM

Just though I'd post this vid that I took prior to taking things apart. Wanted to round up a few more parts before I got seriously into it. It's on now!

Stingray59 10-14-2012 09:27 PM

Awesome trade !

UKNOWME 11-12-2012 11:56 PM

Wish I had kept that motor
Posted via Mobile Device

Sin7 11-13-2012 12:42 PM

excellent trade. Looking forward to more pics

jam-bo383 11-18-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKNOWME (Post 5699664)
Wish I had kept that motor
Posted via Mobile Device

What is it, exactly? I mean, I know it's a 350, but has it been bored? Heads? Cam? I'm curious as to what's been done to it. Heck, I kinda wish it were closer to stock. I want the truck to be more of a cruiser. Definitely want to add a 700R4, maybe fuel injection, and be able to drive it to Austin for the Lonestar Roundup!

UKNOWME 11-21-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam-bo383 (Post 5708550)
What is it, exactly? I mean, I know it's a 350, but has it been bored? Heads? Cam? I'm curious as to what's been done to it. Heck, I kinda wish it were closer to stock. I want the truck to be more of a cruiser. Definitely want to add a 700R4, maybe fuel injection, and be able to drive it to Austin for the Lonestar Roundup!

I'm not sure at the moment, I built that engine a few years back just finally had something to put it in. I can try and find some info on it if you'd like. Maybe we could work something out if you wanted to swap.

jam-bo383 04-06-2014 10:18 AM

Soooo... Just wanted to drop by and post an update. Long story short: lost my job, and, unfortunately, lost my Dad. Seems like my whole life got put on hold for a while. When the dust settles, and things slowly get back on track, you remind yourself that there's still work to be done. I'm glad that the passion for classics got passed down from my Dad. I just re-started my truck. Cool thing is, with all the time off, my plans for the truck have changed a bit. Still going for a very nice daily driver, but the '58-'59 front ends have really grown on me! Almost to the point that the '55-'57s look kinda weird now. Go figure! Anyway, I got the bed off with the help of my lovely/awesome wife. Got the rear flipped, and am now prepping the Camaro subframe for the swap. I'll be posting some pics as soon as I get them uploaded. I'm sure I'll have a few questions as I go along as well. To be continued....

Kim57 04-06-2014 11:01 AM

Sorry for your loss.
Glad to see you didn't let it stop you from enjoying life.
Looking forward to your progress.
Kim

jam-bo383 04-06-2014 01:09 PM

Thanks, Kim57. I'm pretty pumped even though I know it's going to take a bit more time/money than I originally had planned for. It will be worth it in the end!

OrrieG 04-06-2014 02:03 PM

My sympathy for your loss too, my Dad is in the final stage of his life so I understand. He and my grandfather, the original Orrie, are where I get my auto passion and basic knowledge from. When he is gone I will unofficially become the "oldman" in the family, dubious title and honor bestowed on the oldest living male as clan patriarch. Welcome to the 4 light side, I have always felt they had more character too. Look forward to continued posts.

jam-bo383 04-09-2014 07:47 PM

Thanks, Orrie. It does suck being a member of a club that nobody ever wants to be in (losing your pops). Yes, I'm really liking the 4-eyed look now. It seems the somewhat bulkier front end balances out the Fleetside bed as well. I'll be doing the clip this weekend snd I'm so looking forward to it. I'll post up some progress pics soon.

UKNOWME 01-06-2015 12:04 PM

Any updates?

jam-bo383 01-26-2015 02:13 AM

Actually, yes. My family went through another couple of setbacks. Just as last year (we lost an aunt and my dad within a week of each other), we lost my mom and my uncle within a week of each other. It was pretty crazy, and I wasn't much for working on hardly anything. Well, I got around to it just last week finally. So far I'm doing chassis work. I installed a flip kit on the rear and will be cutting that funky clip off the front and installing the Camaro clip probably this coming weekend. Body work is getting started simultaneously. I'm taking pics along the way, and will post those as I get more and edit them and stuff. Goal is to have it roadworthy by summer. I may do a simple air ride system on it to combat the sometimes crappy roads here in Lubbock! I've got an interesting, tasty and different paint scheme in mind that will make use of some strategic, cleared bare metal. It should be interesting. Once I get more pics, I'll do a build thread. I may have a line on a '56 as well.... We'll see. Did you ever get anything else done to the Blazer?

Kim57 01-26-2015 09:30 AM

Sorry for you losses.
Glad you're making time to get back to the truck.
Kim

UKNOWME 02-01-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam-bo383 (Post 7019699)
Actually, yes. My family went through another couple of setbacks. Just as last year (we lost an aunt and my dad within a week of each other), we lost my mom and my uncle within a week of each other. It was pretty crazy, and I wasn't much for working on hardly anything. Well, I got around to it just last week finally. So far I'm doing chassis work. I installed a flip kit on the rear and will be cutting that funky clip off the front and installing the Camaro clip probably this coming weekend. Body work is getting started simultaneously. I'm taking pics along the way, and will post those as I get more and edit them and stuff. Goal is to have it roadworthy by summer. I may do a simple air ride system on it to combat the sometimes crappy roads here in Lubbock! I've got an interesting, tasty and different paint scheme in mind that will make use of some strategic, cleared bare metal. It should be interesting. Once I get more pics, I'll do a build thread. I may have a line on a '56 as well.... We'll see. Did you ever get anything else done to the Blazer?

Man I'm sorry for your loses! Sounds like your gonna have a badass 59 when it's done! I'd love to check it out when you finish. No I haven't done much to the blazer. I pulled the engine to reseal it then wound up putting it in my 80 c10. I installed the 305/350 combo from the c10 in the blazer and it's been sitting. I have it for sale but hadn't pushed it much. Still need to finish up some engine stuff to get it roadworthy then I'll probably drive it with a for sale sign on it. I have too many vehicles right now. I just picked up a 97 2 door 2 wheel drive Tahoe and my justification was I was getting rid of the blazer.