The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Front turn signal ground question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=852244)

Tpo 04-27-2024 11:19 PM

Front turn signal ground question

1960 Apache 10.
Question 1. I have the clear lenses so I’ll buy amber bulbs. But I’ve seen 60s with amber lenses too. Did Chevy change to amber mid year?
2. The bulb housing grounds to the hood, correct? I have no continuity between my hood and the rest of my truck. My hood is firmly attached and I don’t think I can attach it any betterer than it is now. So I plan to connect both bulb housings to their own ground wires and run it down with the other lamp wires to the body itself. Anyone else done this?
3. The bulbs are so loose in the sockets that the bulb only illuminates if I press it quite firmly into the socket. Is there a trick to tighten these up? LMC sells replacement sockets for $3 but I’ve heard of replacement sockets being crappy from the git go. So if I could make the old ones work I’d rather do that.

I realize my truck was built almost 65 years ago but this turn signal grounding system is a pretty optimistic design on chevy’s part. Opinions?
Thanks!

dmjlambert 04-28-2024 12:18 PM

Re: Front turn signal ground question

I wish I had more information for you. Are your hood hinges recently painted and that's why they don't conduct? I went to look at my 63 and notice the housing grounds to the hood, and there isn't a separate ground wire. I'm not there yet, but if I find better ground is needed on the hood, I will probably put a short ground strap between the back of the hood and the firewall.

bigmoe 04-28-2024 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used these and ran a ground wire.

Tpo 04-28-2024 07:36 PM

Man it looks like my hood has never been removed so I don’t know why it’s not grounded. Hinge bolts are tight. Go figure. But I don’t care because I’ll just run a ground wire. Big moe those things are just what the Dr ordered! Where did you get them??

1966c10shrtbd 04-28-2024 07:41 PM

https://classicparts.com/chevy-gmc/c...66-truck-parts

Tpo 04-28-2024 08:57 PM

66 shortbed I didn’t see where they had a socket with a terminal on it on the classic parts site. I’d like the ones like moe has if I could find them.

dmb 04-28-2024 09:02 PM

Run a ground strap from the hood to the firewall . When I worked for Chevrolet back in the 70s. I installed quit a few of them. Mostly for radio static but fixed the ground problems on the 60-66 trucks

bigmoe 04-28-2024 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpo (Post 9309094)
Big moe those things are just what the Dr ordered! Where did you get them??

It's been a while but I probably got mine on Ebay. Lots of plastic ones available but there are some metal ones. Do a google image search for 1157 tail light bulb socket and go from there.

Edit: try Dorman 85860

Getter-Done 04-28-2024 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmoe (Post 9309121)
It's been a while but I probably got mine on Ebay. Lots of plastic ones available but there are some metal ones. Do a google image search for 1157 tail light bulb socket and go from there.

Edit: try Dorman 85860

Yeah

Link : https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...5860/5012139-P

Tpo 04-28-2024 10:27 PM

You guys rock! I’m ordering some now. I like the idea of using the sockets with the ground terminal because my socket to housing joint is a little wobbly, in addition to the hot contacts in my sockets being wobbly too. DMB, how did grounding the hood to the body solve radio static?
Thanks men!

dmb 04-29-2024 04:42 PM

was a lot of am radios back then and motor noise was a problem. Grounding the hood fixed a lot of it. you can take an older vehicle and raise the hood with the engine running on a am channel and you will see what I am talking about. We put condensers on the alternators too. Chevrolet had bulletins out the yen yang on radio static

cwcarpenter98 04-29-2024 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The clear lens is correct for a 60, however the clear and amber lenses are the same except for the color, so it's really easy to put an amber lens in place of a clear one.

If your hood hasn't been off in awhile, it's possible that the original path to ground has gotten a smidge crusty and is no longer conducting properly. Adding a ground wire from the socket to the inner fender or cab would be a good way to solve your issue. I used a small hole that was already in the inner fender to ground the under-hood light I installed from a 90s Dakota. You can see it on the top left of the inner fender.

Getter-Done 04-29-2024 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb (Post 9309255)
was a lot of am radios back then and motor noise was a problem. Grounding the hood fixed a lot of it. you can take an older vehicle and raise the hood with the engine running on a am channel and you will see what I am talking about. We put condensers on the alternators too. Chevrolet had bulletins out the yen yang on radio static

I remember this now. :lol:

I bet you precharged a condensor and left them laying on the work bench. ;)

Tpo 04-30-2024 02:52 AM

DMB, what’s an AM radio?��
Christian, your wiring is giving me the heeby jeebies, lol.
I like the looks of the clear lens better plus it’s what I’ve got so I ordered a 10 pack of amber 1157s for $9. I figure I can scrape the paint off a few and then I’ve got spare clear 1157s.
I’ve got the bulb sockets with the ground terminal on them ordered and I can’t wait to have park lights. Getting them to blink, now that’s another story…