The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Autozone Batteries (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=567135)

JointTech 02-20-2013 08:57 PM

Autozone Batteries

battery that came in the truck when i bought it went bad. wouldn't hold a charge. It was a autozone house brand, duralast i think.

I took it to pep boys to have it tested. They said its bad, so not knowing anything about a warranty etc I said how much for a new one. He said man you should just take this to Autozone and they will prorate it out. he could tell by the sticker it wasn't completely out of warranty. I told him I didnt have a receipt and he said i dont know but we dont care about that here. we just look at the sticker.

So I took it to autozone and they tested it again and said its bad and it is under warranty.

Then they asked for the receipt. Which of course i don't have. Then they wanted a phone number, which also didn't match.

They would do nothing and wouldn't discount or prorate a new battery.

I picked up my core and started walking out. They asked what I was going to do.

I said go to a place that has customer service and doesn't harass me about a stupid phone number.

Went to my local parts house, quigleys, and got an Interstate that I can take anywhere in the country and not get harassed.

I also haven't been back to autozone since. In fact I ordered a part from quigleys that autozone had in stock just because they arent getting my money for at least 6 months. I cant say forever because I usually lose all my piss and vinegar after a while and convenience overrides my moral stance ;)

ka_jd7and1 02-21-2013 01:58 PM

Re: Autozone Batteries

Autozone's parts warranties don't transfer if the vehicle is sold, so you were on the hook for a new battery anyway whether the battery was still in warranty or not.

kcsa75 02-21-2013 02:56 PM

Is that kind of stuff typical of Autozone? They just opened a store in "my neighborhood." Been there a couple times for little stuff, but have to say I've not been too impressed.

leddzepp 02-22-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1 (Post 5903640)
Autozone's parts warranties don't transfer if the vehicle is sold, so you were on the hook for a new battery anyway whether the battery was still in warranty or not.

Correct, and this is common practice with any box parts store.

Damon23 02-23-2013 06:38 PM

Funny, the duralast in the the truck I just bought took a dump. But I have the PO name and phone number. If it does not charge hopefully I'll get lucky.

GMtrucknut!! 02-24-2013 09:05 AM

That is why I avoid big box auto partsO'reilleys,autozone,advanced auto are all large coporations that could care less as long as they sell auto parts. I virtually dropped going in Autozone because of an incident when putting on a charity benefit for a local gear head who was dying from cancer, we went to post flyers and Autozone told us that corporate rules did not allow this. So every individual that was participating in the cruise in,carshow and poker run vowed to never support a business that wouldn't support its customers!

JointTech 02-24-2013 09:12 AM

i know its standard practice these days. I worked at what used to be Als auto supply in seattle. But we had the discresion to give the customer something when its obvious nobody is going to get hurt. Dumb business to piss off a customer over what they would have given me with a phone number. Even a token gesture would have been enough.

GMtrucknut!! 02-24-2013 09:22 AM

I worked at an independent Carquest store which had an automotive machine shop for a number of years and developed a great relationship with other independent stores so I do tend to sway towards the little guy anyhow!!:wave:

cableguy0 02-24-2013 12:36 PM

All of the batteries that Autozone and Advance auto sell are absolute garbage. I replace them constantly at work. Most of them have bad cells or shorts inside in under a year. We use Interstates at work. I would buy a battery from walmart way before buying from advance or autozone.

leddzepp 02-24-2013 12:59 PM

I have had bad experiences with Autozone (Duralast) batteries as well. Most of the time it has been a short. When that happens, you are dead in the water.

Sillyoldman 03-07-2013 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a little morsel for those that may not know how to read dates on batteries.
This code tells when the battery was shipped from the factory to the local distributor. The additional digits tell where the battery was made.

On each battery there is a date sticker aka Date Dot. The first digit from the left side is a letter which stands for the month of the year. A = January; B = February; C = March, etc. The second digit from the left is the year that the battery was shipped from the factory. 4 = 2004, 5 = 2005, 6 = 2006, 7 = 2007, 8 = 2008, 9 = 2009, 0 = 2010, 1 = 2011, 2 = 2012, etc. The date dot is applied when shipped not when manufactured. New batteries have a two year shelf life. Be sure to look at the date dots when buying a new battery so you select a fresh one. Also look for dots on top of dots, that means it's been recharged for storage and a new date dot applied over the old one. Each sticker = six months. Removal of the sticker voids the warranty.