The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   How Many Remember These Transmissions? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767627)

C10 - C90 Bill 07-16-2018 11:48 PM

How Many Remember These Transmissions?

When I was a kid Fords were everywhere. This is what I would listen to as trucks would climb the hill near my house. Not only the Whine but it seemed like every gearshift would Grind at least a little. This is a great example of that Whine. A '43 Ford 1 1/2 Ton:

5Tractorguy 07-17-2018 01:00 PM

Re: How Many Remember These Transmissions?

I'm not old enough to remember being 24, but it does sound a lot like the 2 and 9N tractors I used to drive at a farm across town. Has that familiar transmission wine in every gear.

special-K 07-18-2018 09:26 PM

I remember that sound. You hear it in old movies, too. It was all about the gears back then.

C10 - C90 Bill 07-18-2018 09:44 PM

I actually got my first ride in one when I was about 9 years old. My neighbor had a '49 or '50 F-5 Dump. You talk about a thrill, lol. Especially for a Ford kid. Believe it or not, I was a Ford fan till I was about 15 years old.

Keith Seymore 07-19-2018 07:47 AM

One of my first projects as a young development engineer had to do with gear whine.

My boss took me out for a ride on the test track to show me what to do.

"Hear that whine? Your job is to fix it".

"Fix it?" I said. "I LIKE it!"

(lol)

special-K 07-19-2018 01:57 PM

Yeah, we like to hear that thing work! When I tell people my '67 will be running an M22 they tell me I'm going to hate the gear whine. I tell them I want the gear whine. Bill, I was a Ford kid, too. My dad just drove what used vehicle he could afford, so no brand loyalty. But the early hot rod scene was about Fords, The '56 F100 was the hot lick, it even seemed most car model kits were Ford, except the current year ones. My best buddy's dad was a Ford man from Front Royal and me and him built Ford model kits (mostly). They had a black with red bucket seat interior Galaxie 500XL 4spd car, then a '67 Cougar XR7, then a '69 Marauder with 429 Wedge. But my favorite car was always the '55 Chevy and the more I looked at things the more I liked GM across the board in more ways than one. When I first started driving I just knew I liked the cool older vehicles, and this was '71

C10 - C90 Bill 07-19-2018 02:42 PM

Tim, Yeah I got the Ford thing from my Dad. He had me behind the wheel when I was 2, lol (on his lap). He had a '47 Ford Woody at that time. Before that he had a '41 Woody and before that a '40 Convertible, all Flathead V-8's. If we were back in the old days, I would probably still be a Ford guy, lol, but when I was about 14, I started to get introduced to Chevrolet. When it came time to buy my own car at 15, I said "whichever shows up first". Well, I bought a '58 Nomad with a 348, 3-Speed and the rest was history.

I had M-21's in both of my 4-Speed cars and tried like heck to locate a 22 for a reasonable price. Came close a couple of times, but missed out. If someone says anything about your M-22 whine, just tell them "that ain't noise, that's music"!!

special-K 07-20-2018 01:03 PM

My dad's first car after the war, I think his first car at all, was a '36 Ford Coupe that had dual exhaust and a '3/4 grind' cam is what I was told. Then us kids started coming along and he got a '49 Ford station wagon. When the wood started rotting he got a '49 Buick Sedanette. Those are the first two cars I remember.

GM72K10 07-21-2018 10:04 PM

Great memory, thanks for posting

special-K 07-23-2018 09:55 PM

How about that sound of an Advance Design Chevy being started with the foot switch, the clutch pedal slapping the floor, and just the sound...and smell... of that 6cyl? The sound of the 3spd is also distinctive, especially pulling up from down low in 2nd when making a turn.

rkn463 07-23-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8307406)
How about that sound of an Advance Design Chevy being started with the foot switch, the clutch pedal slapping the floor, and just the sound...and smell... of that 6cyl? The sound of the 3spd is also distinctive, especially pulling up from down low in 2nd when making a turn.

Those floor starters did have a distinctive sound!

C10 - C90 Bill 07-23-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8307406)

When I was 16, a friend of mine had that exact same truck. It was a stake body and a bunch of us would all pile in it. Because I got the truck running for him, and he would rather ride than drive, I always got to drive it. It sure had it's own distinctions as mentioned above. Had to work the Choke and turn your foot sideways to get it started, lol. Horrible Brakes though, no Right Side Mirror and no Direction Lights. Had to use to the old Hand Signals once in a while and whoever was riding shotgun was my Right Side Mirror, lol. Brings back a lot of old memories. Love that 'ol 3-Speed whine as well.