The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Oil pressure fluctuating at idle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=852215)

wazzabie 04-26-2024 12:27 PM

Oil pressure fluctuating at idle

The oil pressure on a chevy 350 is fluctuating at idle. It does not matter if the engine is warm or cold. I always have oil pressure. Engine sounds like a sewing machine. Maybe a bad lifter. Thoughts?

geezer#99 04-26-2024 12:52 PM

Re: Oil pressure fluctuating at idle

Bad lifters and several flat cam lobes!
Pop off the valve covers and check movement of the rockers.

wazzabie 04-26-2024 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geezer#99 (Post 9308552)
Bad lifters and several flat cam lobes!
Pop off the valve covers and check movement of the rockers.

How would I check movement of the rockers with the valve cover off? Should I have the engine running? What should I be looking for?

Dead Parrot 04-26-2024 01:48 PM

Easiest is valve cover off and engine running. It WILL be messy! Do one side at a time. Check for all rocker tips moving about the same amount. If one isn't moving much, that is your suspect.

Might cut open your oil filter and check for metal bits. Not definitive as a bad lifter doesn't normally make many metal bits and a worn cam lobe might have failed before your last change. If you find a bunch of metal, something is failing.

What is your idle speed? A stock SBC will often idle smoothly well below the recommended idle speed. Too slow can show some oil pressure variations.

wazzabie 04-26-2024 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Parrot (Post 9308570)
Easiest is valve cover off and engine running. It WILL be messy! Do one side at a time. Check for all rocker tips moving about the same amount. If one isn't moving much, that is your suspect.

Might cut open your oil filter and check for metal bits. Not definitive as a bad lifter doesn't normally make many metal bits and a worn cam lobe might have failed before your last change. If you find a bunch of metal, something is failing.

What is your idle speed? A stock SBC will often idle smoothly well below the recommended idle speed. Too slow can show some oil pressure variations.

There is fast idle and curb idle. Curb idle is at 700 rpm. Fasts idle is at 950rpm until the engine warms up and I kick down the idle cam.

The fluctuating engine oil pressure happens consistently. At either idle and when the vehicle is running at speed. Also the engine has sat for about 10 years with little use.

cadillac_al 04-26-2024 05:29 PM

Is this an electric gauge?

wazzabie 04-26-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac_al (Post 9308591)
Is this an electric gauge?

Yes

kwmech 04-27-2024 01:00 AM

What oil filter is on the truck? and sometimes fluctuation can mean the oil level is low

wazzabie 04-27-2024 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9308716)
What oil filter is on the truck? and sometimes fluctuation can mean the oil level is low

Wix 51061

wazzabie 04-27-2024 09:44 PM

I pulled the oil filter and examined the internals. I don't see any metal debris. There is carbon like chunks in the pleats. It has about 30 miles of driving time with the engine oil. I also used an additive to the engine oil.

kwmech 04-29-2024 11:34 AM

Carbon like chunks doesn't sound good. Any pics of them. Also,.... unbolt the small aluminum adapter that the oil filter screws onto and see if the spring loaded check valve is not messed up or has one of those 'chunks' stuck in it