The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   "Wish I had a tricky name for my project" project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=624264)

steved033 04-08-2014 05:43 PM

"Wish I had a tricky name for my project" project

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone,

I figured I'd start a project page. I had a '68 fury convertible (19.5' of Plymouth is something to behold) that was given to me as a debt owed. I fixed a bunch of stuff, got it running and tossed it up on craigslist to see if I could sell or trade it away. Guy writes me, he's a huge mopar guy, and wants to trade a C10 pickup. I'm thinking cool...

So I go see the pickup. it's in about the same shape as the fury was....maybe a little worse...as it turns out a LOT worse, but parts are easier and less expensive to come by. I-6, 3 on the tree converted to 3 on the floor,

The plan is to get it more solid than it is, keep it a little ratty, tune up the I-6, and use it to run big errand and haul my mountain bike.

steved033 04-08-2014 05:50 PM

Re: "Wish I had a tricky name for my project" project

4 Attachment(s)
That first post picture was the day I picked it up. New tires, new gauges, and removal of the wiring that wasn't needed, along with a general wiring cleanup (there's several frayed and shorted wires.

Here's what it looks like now:

It's my first pickup, but i'm no stranger to owning/fixing cars. The truck was overheating because the timing was 20 degrees out, and the carb was 1.5 turns too lean. It runs so well right now, but there's a little oil fouling in #6, and there's definitely a bunch of blow by. it's not severe yet, and I'm on the fence about fixing it further, because I'm thinking the future holds airbags and a 5.3 and automatic swap. someone tack welded in diamond plate to the bed. The bed misalignment on the passenger side is because there's a broken support. It's just kind of flopping around. I'll fix it when I do the floors.

rusty76 04-08-2014 06:30 PM

Cool truck. I'm in.

Bomp 04-08-2014 06:38 PM

Watchin'

Ta2Don 04-08-2014 07:16 PM

:hi: and Welcome Aboard!!!

Nice Start… I'm in too...:mm:

steved033 04-08-2014 08:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
There's a thread in the main section about how I did it, but I didn't feel like spending huge bucks on any sort of custom gauge set up so I made my own.

I took a set of sunpro gauges, cut off the bezels and glass, and mounted them under the factory glass, where I de-silkscreened the GEN and OIL blocks around the factory warning lights. Mother's headlight polish works AWESOME on the front side, and to clear out the scratch marks from scuffing over the factory silkscreen. I painted all the needles to match each other. The temp gauge was too busy with both the silkscreen and the gauge markings, so my buddy suggested I black out the gauge face. 200F is at 12 o'clock, and the gauge works perfectly in the silkscreened limits.

TJ's Chevy 04-08-2014 10:06 PM

Nice truck! And good work on the cluster! :metal::chevy:

Ta2Don 04-08-2014 10:17 PM

Dang… now I got another idea to throw my brain for another loop...:crazy:

Nice Job on the Gauge Cluster...:metal: Well Played!:flag:

Grizz1963 04-09-2014 06:41 AM

Welcome to one of the best forums out in the interwebland.

I like yout thread title. Maybe "Tricky" should be the trucks name and thread title.

Neat job with the cluster.

steved033 04-09-2014 01:09 PM

Thanks Grizz, I've been browsing your build thread too...

sjd

McMurphy 04-09-2014 02:18 PM

:welcoem: to the site !!
Good looking project you have there, hope you can keep us updated on it.

If you got questions, this is the place for answers and inspirations !!

Good luck :metal:

NEWFISHER 04-09-2014 03:16 PM

Good start! your buddy was right, the blackout makes for a better look on the temp gauge. have fun with the build.