The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Can you put to much oil in compressor (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=852031)

GOPAPA 04-16-2024 03:58 PM

Can you put to much oil in compressor

and ruin anything ,,,,I lowned my compressor last fall to a neighbor to blow out his srinkler system and ever since he brought it back it has been leaking oil down the side of the tank and onto the floor ,, I ask him if he added oil and he said he did.

Steeveedee 04-16-2024 04:16 PM

Re: Can you put to much oil in compressor

If it has a sump for oil, it certainly can be overfilled. Doing this could lead to aeration of the oil and lack of proper lubrication. Does it have a drain plug?

Dead Parrot 04-16-2024 06:01 PM

Mine has a sight glass and marks for proper level. If no glass, maybe there is a plug on the side that you fill until it starts leaking out, similar to a lot of differentials.

If you have a manual for the thing, check what type of oil it uses. Mine recommends a special compressor oil. Bad news is that oil was about $20/qt. Good news is a total change used less then half the quart. Based on the manual's recommendation of changing every 100 hours of running, I should be good for many more years.

GOPAPA 04-16-2024 06:34 PM

I called the neighbor about what oil he put in the compressor oil filler and he said it was a compressor oil and he still has the bottle with some still in it and I can have it ,, I will go get it tonight and take photos of it and the filler on the compressor for you guys that have responded to my conserns about my compressror,, thanks to you guys.

GOPAPA 04-16-2024 06:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 2353023

Attachment 2353028

Attachment 2353029

neighbor came over with the oil bottle he used

72c20customcamper 04-16-2024 07:08 PM

The oil should be at the top of the dot little under or over isnt a big deal . But it looks like it’s way over filled

truckster 04-16-2024 08:19 PM

If you're lucky you'll get away with draining the excess oil. Hopefully it hasn't blown out a seal.

GOPAPA 04-16-2024 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 9305410)
If you're lucky you'll get away with draining the excess oil. Hopefully it hasn't blown out a seal.

I think it has blown out a seal as it leaks very slowly on the floor of the garage where I store it at for some time now ,,.. what are the steps to replace a seal may I ask.. I do not have a book with with schematics.

RustyPile 04-16-2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9305429)
I think it has blown out a seal as it leaks very slowly on the floor of the garage where I store it at for some time now ,,.. what are the steps to replace a seal may I ask.. I do not have a book with with schematics.

Crankshaft and its seals are located above the NORMAL oil level and cannot leak when not running. Have you drained the oil and replaced it with the proper amount.. The proper amount is right there on the label -- Do that first, and if the compressor still leaks, determine where it's leaking from.. If it ain't broke, never work on it until it is.

Steeveedee 04-16-2024 09:54 PM

^ What he said. Plus look to see if he tipped it over, dragging it around.

farmall 04-16-2024 10:19 PM

The question is where is it leaking from?

One used to be able to find Detroit Diesel 2 Stroke SAE 30 non detergent everywhere. Now its just in coastal marine areas.

Dead Parrot 04-16-2024 11:54 PM

2nd the drain and refill with proper amount before getting too concerned about leaks. That shaft seal is probably well above the "full" level on the glass. Can't leak much just sitting there if the oil level is correct.

Even if it keeps leaking, unless it is a lot, a small pan full of that spill pickup stuff will last a long time.

Walmart around here still sells non detergent 30w. Its not the Detroit Diesel stuff but still good for filling your generic oil cans.