The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Clutch Head Screws (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=396279)

Dan in Pasadena 04-07-2010 11:15 AM

Clutch Head Screws

Have any of you guys had luck buying a clutch head screwdriver locally; meaning NOT having to order one through Chev's of the 40's or Jim Carter's?

I tried to take my center headliner structural cross bow off last night only to find I needed a clutch headed screwdriver. Of course I couldn't SEE that I needed one until I took off the over-the-door and over-the-windshield triem first. On those I have shiny new zinc Phillips head screws. I tried using a small flat blade screwdriver in the opening at an angle - and just managed to EFF up the edge of the blade!

I know better than to try my local Sears for a Craftsman one. They MAY make them, but my Sears has northing but standard stuff, and little of it at that.

mylow53 04-07-2010 01:37 PM

Re: Clutch Head Screws

i thought i saw some at harbor freight... give them a call
GT

Dan in Pasadena 04-07-2010 01:46 PM

THat would be too good to be true.

But CALL them? That sounds like an exercise in frustration. The people I've even seen working at Harbor Freight wouldn't know a clutch head screwdriver from a Formula One Race car driver! Ok, ok, I'll give it a try. They probably sell them in sets and I need only one and probably will only EVER need one! Oh well.

special-K 04-07-2010 09:40 PM

Dan:Hello,I`m looking for a clutch head driver.
Local Harvor Freight person:Hey cool.I know this dude that`s a total clutch head.He hates automatics.What do you need him to drive?

Dan in Pasadena 04-07-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 3907227)
Local Harvor Freight person:Hey cool.I know this dude that`s a total clutch head.He hates automatics.What do you need him to drive?

PRECISELY my point:lol:

orgalmeister 04-08-2010 03:13 PM

Also try NAPA

mbgmike 04-08-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 3906096)
Have any of you guys had luck buying a clutch head screwdriver locally; meaning NOT having to order one through Chev's of the 40's or Jim Carter's?

I tried to take my center headliner structural cross bow off last night only to find I needed a clutch headed screwdriver. Of course I couldn't SEE that I needed one until I took off the over-the-door and over-the-windshield triem first. On those I have shiny new zinc Phillips head screws. I tried using a small flat blade screwdriver in the opening at an angle - and just managed to EFF up the edge of the blade!

I know better than to try my local Sears for a Craftsman one. They MAY make them, but my Sears has northing but standard stuff, and little of it at that.

I have found that most of the time the screwdrivers are a waste of time. Ok for installing but not removing unless you have a gorilla grip you can't hold on. I use sockets from snapon. (about $12.00 each)you can mail order them.
Northern tools has a complete kit with just about any tip known to man if you want less expensive

mbgmike 04-08-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 3907227)

:lol::lol:

special-K 04-10-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbgmike (Post 3908977)
Northern tools has a complete kit with just about any tip known to man if you want less expensive

Dan:No bud,I`m looking for a tool.

Harbor Freight guy:Aw dude,sorry can`t help ya.This dude is no tool.He`s like the totalliest awesome cat I know.He`s old school.All the tools I know never even drove a stick.There is one I know...nah,you don`t want him.Big tool.I can sorta drive a clutch,but no way in LA,man.Sheeyah,and I hope I`m no tool.

Thinkblue4 Evr 04-11-2010 10:02 PM

We Bought ours at the Truck Shop in Orange Ca.

Big Port Jimmy 6 04-11-2010 11:08 PM

I got lucky my Snap on man had a set of clutch drivers in his old stock collection, him and his father in law have been in the Snap on biz since the 60s, bought a full set. They had 1/4 inch bits still available in clutch head also, the kind you would use in a ratchet screw driver. Hope you find some. Jay

dirtball 04-12-2010 12:31 AM

I got one at Car Quest a couple of years back.

justcuz 04-14-2010 07:53 PM

I hate to say it but I think I got mine a Bergs. John can order one for you if you can't find it anywere.