The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   "New" tool chest... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=342703)

Jerry Jones 05-07-2009 01:14 AM

"New" tool chest...

5 Attachment(s)
OK new to me... read on a minute if you will.

I got a very nice Snap-on chest... here is how I aquired it.

My would be sister-in-law (she died in a motor cycle accident a couple of years b-4 my wife and I married) was an auto mechanic. She was very particular of her tools and took awsome care of them. The tools were in dividers and ingraved with her DL. The reciepts for every tool were in the chest.

Karen Died 22 years ago, and her parents (my in-laws) kept them shrined since then. Then on my last birthday they, along with my wife and her other sister decided that the tools should be Jerry's.... WOW, I must tell you, I actually became overcome and shed a tear (or two... maybe ten).

Some things moved over the years, and a few things are now missing, this must be one of the best gifts a guy could get.

Check it out... this is just a sample, and in the move things got shacken up a bit.

Jerry Jones 05-07-2009 01:16 AM

Re: "New" tool chest...

4 Attachment(s)
Few more, from lucky guy

Hoods69BadBowTie 05-07-2009 01:16 AM

Wow damn that's awesome! Congrats on an awesome gift :D I would defiantly rock them in my garage to say the least.

El Jay 05-07-2009 01:53 AM

Dayum!!!

We've talked about this tool box before....for years.

Knowing Carole, & the rest of her family, I wish I'd had the opportunity to know her late sister also.

special-K 05-07-2009 06:33 AM

Definately a special gift,even if it was a cardboard box and a handful of Chinese Snap-Offs.I will admit,I welled up when I read your post.Us guys are getting soft in our years,eh?I`m man enough to let myself feel,is what my take on it is.
That`s a precious set of tools and the gal sounds like one I would have liked to know.I feel she`s proud in heaven knowing your hands will put them to good use.

72BlckButy 05-07-2009 07:43 AM

Jerry that is a great story, and it couldn't have gone to a more deserving guy.

big_al_71 05-07-2009 08:02 AM

Jerry that is a great gift.....Take care of them being that I have over 30 technicians I know how particular they are about their tools.

Jerry Jones 05-07-2009 09:18 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys, I will definatly be taking care of this thing. I have already told my boy (who turns 13 this Saturday) that he is not allowed near them (I am keeping it locked just in case), but someday he may just own them himself.

FRENCHBLUE72 05-07-2009 09:22 AM

Very cool for sure..

Hoser's Girl 05-07-2009 09:51 AM

Awesome story!

Sillyoldman 05-07-2009 10:01 AM

Great score. I myself recently joined the club. It took way too long.

sjarrett71 05-07-2009 10:19 AM

Awesome gift! I'm sorry someone died but I'm glad the tools are going to someone that will use and appreciate them as well as staying in the family.

panhandler62 05-07-2009 10:44 AM

I inherited a massive supply of Snap-on and other quality tools when my step father passed. I get choked up every time I go for a wrench.

70rs/ss 05-07-2009 12:39 PM

Jerry, congrats on finally getting them home, they are sweeter than I imagined. Soory for you and your wife's loss, keep them near and dear to help her legacy live on.

chevyboy55 05-07-2009 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 3297681)
Definately a special gift,even if it was a cardboard box and a handful of Chinese Snap-Offs.I will admit,I welled up when I read your post.Us guys are getting soft in our years,eh?I`m man enough to let myself feel,is what my take on it is.
That`s a precious set of tools and the gal sounds like one I would have liked to know.I feel she`s proud in heaven knowing your hands will put them to good use.

I agree.

old Rusty C10 05-07-2009 09:08 PM

years back (1088) i inherited my uncles craftsman set and to this day i have it.. It is used but it is still kept in the packaging like my uncle had it.... i figure im just borrowing them until they get passed on to the next generation

Jerry Jones 05-07-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 (Post 3298813)
years back (1088) i inherited my uncles craftsman set and to this day i have it.. It is used but it is still kept in the packaging like my uncle had it.... i figure im just borrowing them until they get passed on to the next generation

That is cool, good tools are worth keeping in the family... but dude yours are over 900 years old!!!!! GRIN!

ERASER5 05-08-2009 12:35 PM

I think it is way cool to have tools handed down. Even better when the tools are nice. My father-in-law just gave me some tools a few weeks ago. A few Starrett tools, plus a few other odds and ends.

Palf70Step 05-08-2009 01:29 PM

Very nice. I am pretty sure my wife's sister don't even know what a tool is. ;)

oldiron 05-08-2009 10:17 PM

Have a nice little plaque made with ( In Memory of Karen ).

Jerry Jones 05-09-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldiron (Post 3300804)
Have a nice little plaque made with ( In Memory of Karen ).

Excellent thought... but I am a step ahead. She was a grad from Sequoia institute, and had some honors things. There are a few nice belt buckles that were in there that I im might grind the backs off of and put them on the case... not sure yet... gonna run it by my lady.

rod86 05-09-2009 01:21 AM

man, i would be very proud of that, i agree with old iron tho, get a little plaque made, would be a nice touch for it.

Jerry Jones 05-10-2009 01:28 AM

I did a little work on the rig in the past coupla days, I am gonna need some help on what some of these tools are... I will try to get some pics tomarrow.

El Jay 05-10-2009 10:18 PM

I got to "rummage" through the tool box today looking at stuff.

All I can say is accolades for his in laws for giving that rollaway and contents a home that will truly appreciate them.

And, yeah, I am a bit prejudiced about this.

Jerry Jones 05-12-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jay (Post 3303413)
I got to "rummage" through the tool box today looking at stuff.

All I can say is accolades for his in laws for giving that rollaway and contents a home that will truly appreciate them.

And, yeah, I am a bit prejudiced about this.

While I was "showing off" my bounty (I was going to say booty... but thought better of it). I had to ask 'ol timey guy what a few of the tools were... he got a few for me... there are a few left unknown, so I am going to take some pictures and see what y'all can come up with. It might be a day or two as I am working like a fool again...