The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Carb cleaner and sickness (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=430066)

Youngbuck7072 11-09-2010 01:28 AM

Carb cleaner and sickness

have ant of you guys got sick after using carb cleaner out of a can? i used some and the next day i was aching and sore and had a terible headache and no appitiete. has this happened to any of you?

Gobbles 11-09-2010 01:31 AM

Re: Carb cleaner and sickness

I used tons of carb medic when I was trying to diagnose an issue I was having, turns out it was the needle and seat, but no I never had an issue. I imagine if you had accidentally got it on you, or inhaled it directly it could make you sick, but just blasting it into a carb or cleaning up some metal shouldn't.

Youngbuck7072 11-09-2010 01:32 AM

i used a can of it in a garage cleaning out a carb

Gobbles 11-09-2010 01:37 AM

Did a quick search on the Carb Medic I used and found an MSDS sheet. It says that ""Inhalation: High concentrations of vapors may irritate nose and throat and cause symptoms of intoxication such as dizziness, nausea, headache,
or indigestion".

Sounds similar to what you have, and the cure:

"Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If breathing becomes difficult give oxygen and get prompt medical attention. If breathing stops, give artificial
respiration and get prompt medical attention."

Reference MSDS: http://www.gunk.com/msds/M4814.pdf

So unless you start having trouble breathing, I imagine it will clear up in a day or two, but you could always hit a walk in clinic and see if there is anything else you should do, no one likes those "too little too late" cases.

man-a-fre 11-09-2010 01:46 AM

Don't use it if you are operating a space heater or any open flame heat in the area the vapors and the open flame supposebly turn into phosgene gas im told.

Gobbles 11-09-2010 01:54 AM

Phosgene from carb cleaner? That would make your exhaust extremely harmful, I read recently that Brake Fluid was the more likely source for Phosgene gas. Could be both though!

Longhorn Man 11-09-2010 06:58 AM

if you were using it PROPERLY and you got this reaction, then I would plan on never using the stuff again.

cdowns 11-09-2010 08:25 AM

a little common sence when using stuff for cleaning that gives of vapors goes along way in keeping a body safe

LockDoc 11-09-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by man-a-fre (Post 4285497)
Don't use it if you are operating a space heater or any open flame heat in the area the vapors and the open flame supposebly turn into phosgene gas im told.

That would be brake cleaner, and as far as I know only when you are using a wire welder with Argon and welding on parts cleaned with brake cleaner.

LockDoc

71meangreenc10 11-09-2010 09:44 AM

The MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) is the key to ensure your safety, but most people are unaware that it exists. Make sure you find it and check to see if there is any information that you need to for health reasons due to exposure and sickness.

Smitty

QKENUF4U 11-09-2010 10:55 AM

ive never gotten sick but i have destroyed my smell/taste with carb cleaner and many other chemicals as a bike tech.... it has to be a odd smell/different smell/STRONG smell for me to really smell it. there are lots of deadly chemicals in all these cleaners and we as humans just breath away without a second thought... :waah:

prostreetC-10 11-09-2010 03:00 PM

Well ventilated area!!!!!

I use tttttttons of the stuff and dddddddon't feel a tttttthing!!

Actually, I do buy it by the case and only use it outside. It is nasty stuff.

Shane 11-10-2010 07:45 PM

were you smoking while using it? I ask because smoking a cig/cigar that has residual chemicals on them will also cause issues.

timjt 11-10-2010 08:05 PM

NEVER use a torch close to break cleaner!!! tiny puff of smoke will just about kill you literally.
(different stuff but just saying;)

prostreetC-10 11-10-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timjt (Post 4288389)
NEVER use a torch close to break cleaner!!! ;)

You also should not strike a match while in your TNT storage shed!!! lol

Captainfab 11-11-2010 01:18 AM

That is very true with the chlorinated brake cleaner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by timjt (Post 4288389)
NEVER use a torch close to break cleaner!!! tiny puff of smoke will just about kill you literally.
(different stuff but just saying;)