The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Ball Joints not letting me grease them? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=137709)

Hoods69BadBowTie 01-26-2005 02:34 PM

Ball Joints not letting me grease them?

I went out to grease up my '88 LongBox Pickup yesterday. I think I was trying to grease the ball joints on it. I am not used to the whole IFS thing but they were in the same place that my ball joints on my Blazer are at.
Anyways I cleand up the nipple on them and got my grease gun on it, but there was alot of resistance so I figured I would just squeeze it really hard and it would work. But instead grese came squirting out of the rear end of the grease gun.
Anybody had this happen before or have any suggestions on it.
Thanx for any advice!
-Later

sneakysnake 01-26-2005 03:31 PM

Not a common thing, usually just squirts out around the nipple or if you have a old gun with a worn hose might rupture or leak.Never had one squirt back out the bottom.
You can try replacing the clogged zerk sometimes just wiping them off is not enough.

busterwivell 01-26-2005 03:51 PM

Just had that a couple of weeks ago on my 71. Rebuilt front end recently. All fittings took grease then, but with oil change 2 wouldn't take grease. Replaced zerks. Problem gone.

67ChevyRedneck 01-26-2005 03:56 PM

Are the nipple things called "zerks?" Sometimes the nipples get dirt in them and it hardens, even if you clean off the outside of them. I've had the same problem. If the nipple is called a zerk do what busterwivell and sneakysnake said :)

smokekiki 01-26-2005 03:56 PM

If You don't have a grease zerk handy,take Your pocket knife and poke the little ball,gently.It should grease then.

Fred T 01-26-2005 04:24 PM

Sometimes the pressure from the ball sitting in the socket will not allow grease to flow. If so, jack so the pressure is not on the ball joint and try again.

RON WOODGEARD 01-26-2005 06:01 PM

There is a tool that will clean out the ball and allow you to squirt the grease in,,, or do as said above and replace the Grease Jerks all together..
Don't be surprised if you find a counter person that doesn't know about the tool, it's one of those things that most people don't know about... BUT They are out there...............

COBALT 01-26-2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred T
Sometimes the pressure from the ball sitting in the socket will not allow grease to flow. If so, jack so the pressure is not on the ball joint and try again.

I was just going to suggest that, but I've never had grease shoot out of the BACK of the grease gun. It usually balls up right at the fitting, and I have to have a cloth handy to collect it.

One thing to always try to do is have the grease gun fitting as parallel as possible with the fitting on the joint. Don't have it cocked at an angle.

What really sucks is breaking a grease fitting. I did that on an upper control arm bushing once. I had to take the pressure off of the bushing and replace it. That was a suck-y job.

john j 01-26-2005 07:04 PM

Not to suggest anything,BUT did you remove the metal opener from the grease tube?
Done that before, johnj

Longhorn Man 01-26-2005 09:18 PM

I see this quite a bit at work. You can poke the zerk with a small allen wrench. No need to get a tool you don't need. If you have an allen wrench set, then you're set.
If that doesn't do the trick, I heat the fitting and the imediate area with a small propain tortch. Then try...if that fails, I remove and stick the allen wrench in the hole and see if there is an obstruction there. I normally chainge the zerk at this point since the old one is already off.
On the high rail trucks (rail road pick ups that drive on the rail road tracks) it is VERY common for them not to take grease. We have had to heat them up with cutting tortches untill cherry red, crank up the compressor to 125PSI, and even then, sometimes it won't take grease. Hate it when it gets to this point, we have to start taking arms and stuff off the system.

Hoods69BadBowTie 01-26-2005 11:00 PM

Hey, thanx for the tips. I have used this grease gun for about a 1 1/2 years and had no problems. It sound like it farted but there is grease coming out of the right end now. I tried poking the little ball in the nipple and tryed it again but to no avail. I was thinking about just going and getting new ones but did n't have any money or the chance to yet. Only 2 more days till payday, Luckily. I will try some of your ideas tommorrow and if they don't work I will just replace them.
I have never heard of them being called zerks either, just nipples.
-Later

cduster 01-27-2005 02:26 AM

Try the propane torch trick. Works wonders for me.

Dan