The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   #1 Essential Garage Tool (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=376987)

hgs_notes 12-18-2009 08:35 PM

#1 Essential Garage Tool

If you live up north, or anywhere the temps make it uncomfortable, all of the other tools in the garage will be of little use for a significant part of the year. I've waited a long time, but I'm almost there. 75,000 blessed BTU's of heating bliss...
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/IMG_5443.jpg

It's been many years, lots of work insulating, wiring, sheetrocking, waiting for parts for the heater, etc. Just need to cut another hole for the exhaust, run some copper tubing, get the lp tank hooked up, test for leaks and set the gas valve pressure, plug it in and I'll finally be able to do something out there in comfort, and not come out smelling like raw diesel or propane. If I had a toilet and sleeping bag I'd be all set.

71swb4x4 12-18-2009 08:42 PM

Re: #1 Essential Garage Tool

Congrats Mike!! I am not even close to that stage yet.

hgs_notes 12-18-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 (Post 3681866)
Congrats Mike!! I am not even close to that stage yet.

Thanks.

I forgot to mention that this is the unit I was loading in my car last July and tore my right biceps tendon, over 2 months of living without being able to work on the projects.

It was not the easiest thing to get hung up there either. I have almost 11' ceilings and it weighs about 80 lbs. I did it myself, glad the wife wasn't around to watch, she would have killed me seeing how I was doing it.

silverstreak 12-18-2009 08:58 PM

Congradulations. It would be nice to have a nice warm and cozy workshop. I hate kerosene fumes too and am scared to death of propane leaks, so I work in a non heated garage. Once my mind is occupied and I move around a bit, I don't pay attention to it. It does keep the wind off and that's the big thing for me.

Shyguy 12-18-2009 09:45 PM

I sure wish I had an insulated and heated garage.

A few days ago I gave my son the new torpedo kerosene heater I bought a while back.

His garage is larger than mine and he works in it more often.

I have mine insulated up to 10 ft, but need to close off the upper part.

I did manage to get it cleaned out and straighened up enough to be able to put my '71 C-10 in it a few days ago.

Hopefully after the holidays I will be able to start working on it.

too much stuff 12-18-2009 11:57 PM

Sure enjoying my second year with a heated garage. Should have done it years ago!!! So now that you almost have heat, i assume your projects will get done this winter???

Yeah right, me too!

68C15 12-19-2009 12:12 AM

I'm waiting to find out if we will be buying our new home. I have a brand new 90,000 BTU high efficiency furnace, a 3 ton "A" coil and matching outdoor unit all waiting. it should work OK for my attached 2 car garage.

BTW, I see your drill press. is it the floor model like mine?

also, you need 4 or 5 more fishing poles.

hgs_notes 12-19-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 3682163)
Sure enjoying my second year with a heated garage. Should have done it years ago!!! So now that you almost have heat, i assume your projects will get done this winter???

Yeah right, me too!

Absolutely! They will all get done this winter.:smoke:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15 (Post 3682184)
I'm waiting to find out if we will be buying our new home. I have a brand new 90,000 BTU high efficiency furnace, a 3 ton "A" coil and matching outdoor unit all waiting. it should work OK for my attached 2 car garage.

BTW, I see your drill press. is it the floor model like mine?

also, you need 4 or 5 more fishing poles.

The drill press is actually a benchtop unit. Gives a good idea of how high that ceiling is. There are still a couple poles I ran out of room for.:uhmk:

rsavage 12-19-2009 08:18 AM

Congrats. You will certainly enjoy it. I retired almost 2 years ago and live in the Northeast. I spend just about everyday out in my garage. I'd be frozen solid by now if it were not for the overhead furnace. I've got a TV hooked up to satellite for my Fox News and a stereo. A bathroom and a Bunn coffee maker would make it perfect!

lks dcvn 12-19-2009 09:35 AM

I thought that there was going to be a picture of a keg-o-rater...

When I [ever] build a larger shop - it will be heated for sure. :)

cparman 12-19-2009 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the reverse. Central A/C and Heat. The A/C is on about 4-5 months of the year. I like y'all would get nothing done thru the summer with out it. Oh yea, the lift helps some too!

hgs_notes 12-23-2009 06:49 PM

It's in. It's connected. It works!:metal:

:hot::two::five::four::ennyd:

Thealien 12-23-2009 07:16 PM

Congrats, comfort is good!

hgs_notes 12-23-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 3689989)
Congrats, comfort is good!

Thanks, yes it is. Believe it or not, this was my first completed "project vehicle".:lol:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377653

Thealien 12-23-2009 08:10 PM

Have to start somewhere? No excuses now?

bigblock73 12-24-2009 01:40 AM

I installed the heater in our garage a few years ago...LOVE it! My only gripe, the slab is still really cold and your feet feel it after a while. The best solution for winter heat...radiant heat. Hopefully in my next garage.