The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Judge my fuse box please (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=851828)

Tpo 04-05-2024 08:45 PM

Judge my fuse box please

1 Attachment(s)
My turn signals, tail lights, brake lights, heater, and panel lights don’t work. Before I start chasing my tail, can you guys give me a yay or nay on my fuse box? I thought it was missing terminal clips before I searched here and saw everyone else’s boxes. Apparently they all look shady. My truck is a 60 but it looks like 60-66 are all the same?
I’m just so tickled that my horn, headlights, and wipers work. Those didn’t work on the 63 I had 35 years ago��

Bonus question: where should I connect the hot wire of my new-to-me tachometer?
Thanks!

cwcarpenter98 04-05-2024 11:45 PM

Re: Judge my fuse box please

You might want to consider checking the back side of the fuse block. My original was heavily rusted on the backside. I was able to clean it up some to make the taillights work again, but ultimately I ended up replacing it. I'm glad I did replace it.

bhap 04-06-2024 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It looks like you’re missing the right side of the brake light fuse. You can get the right side “clips” and they will just push in, then get a fuse. I don’t remember if the brake light wire is behind the fuse block or if it comes off the end, but no fuse means no power. The left side of the fuses should all have power - depending on if they are switched or unswitched. I’d definitely clean up the crust on the fuse clips, then start poking around with a multimeter or test light to confirm 12v. The fuse boxes are pretty straight forward, so if you can find some pics of other similar year trucks, you can see what is connected.

Tpo 04-07-2024 06:09 PM

Hey thanks for the help guys! I pulled it out as far as I can and cleaned it up with toothbrush and compressed air, and it looks great. I don’t see any corrosion or signs of heat, what do you guys think? Ima try to attach a link to an eBay auction for a NOS one, and like mine, that one doesn’t have clips on the brake lamp space. What gives?
Bonus question II: the eBay ad includes an OG line drawing, and it mentions air cleaner, with said cleaner mounted by steering column. What is that??

Ive been reading old threads by lugnutz65 and that r macavoy guy and I just want to say thank you very much.

Tpo 04-07-2024 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pix of mine and the link to the NOS one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15615301924...Bk9SR4Sk3KbXYw

dmjlambert 04-07-2024 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhap (Post 9301942)
It looks like you’re missing the right side of the brake light fuse. You can get the right side “clips” and they will just push in, then get a fuse. I don’t remember if the brake light wire is behind the fuse block or if it comes off the end, but no fuse means no power. The left side of the fuses should all have power - depending on if they are switched or unswitched. I’d definitely clean up the crust on the fuse clips, then start poking around with a multimeter or test light to confirm 12v. The fuse boxes are pretty straight forward, so if you can find some pics of other similar year trucks, you can see what is connected.

How does somebody "get the right side clips"? Can those be purchased new?

Tpo 04-08-2024 02:42 AM

Well I cleaned up a terminal on the rear of the fuse block per Christian and it made my sporadic voltage readings more stable. Now I’m getting 12.5V at the fuses when the battery is 12.8, I think that’s not a bad voltage drop for a 64 yr old harness. I’m satisfied my fuse box is in great shape, other than missing the right side clip. So I’m in the same boat as the guy above, where does one purchase such a thing?
Thanks!

SpudWrench 04-08-2024 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tpo (Post 9302394)
Well I cleaned up a terminal on the rear of the fuse block per Christian and it made my sporadic voltage readings more stable. Now I’m getting 12.5V at the fuses when the battery is 12.8, I think that’s not a bad voltage drop for a 64 yr old harness. I’m satisfied my fuse box is in great shape, other than missing the right side clip. So I’m in the same boat as the guy above, where does one purchase such a thing?
Thanks!

If you can find another 60s GM bus fuse block you should be able to salvage a clip. maybe some solder work. Many convert to modern fuse blocks but I think the buss fuses are kind of cool to keep. Also google "buss fuse clip" looks like some promising results.

Tpo 04-08-2024 07:12 PM

https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/cat...i?show_page=99

The Rocknrod posted this link in another thread. I called them today and ordered one. They’re $11.45 which ain’t cheap but if it fixes an otherwise perfect fuse box I don’t mind.

No one knows about the air cleaner mounted to the inside firewall?