The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   WIW (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Look what I found, advice please. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=587129)

sfoxwoody 07-02-2013 04:27 PM

Look what I found, advice please.

5 Attachment(s)
I've known about this truck for 10+ years and everybody I've ever asked about it said he would never sell it. I decided to give it a try and ask about it and they said they would sell it but want me to make an offer on it, they know its worth some pretty good money because back when he drove it people tried to buy it all the time and one guy offered $7000 once for it, they kept reminding me of that. Anyway, he bought it brand new and used it as a daily driver, its as solid a truck as I've ever seen in the south, 6 cyl, 3 spd, manual brakes and steering, short bed, no body rust anywhere. The engine was rebuilt once and it needs a battery, tires, seat covered, and a good cleaning but thats about it. What is it worth?

Steve Cole 07-02-2013 04:50 PM

Re: Look what I found, advice please.

No way that thing is worth anywhere close to 7K. IMO, I'm thinking maybe 3K. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would move on, there are better deals to be had.
Posted via Mobile Device

LEX 07-02-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 6153827)
No way that thing is worth anywhere close to 7K. IMO, I'm thinking maybe 3K. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would move on, there are better deals to be had.
Posted via Mobile Device

3k Really? For a one owner all original rust free shortbed? I'll take 2.

SuperC10Tex 07-02-2013 05:03 PM

Sorry Steve Cole, 3K offer in my part of the lower 48 for that "Hugger" SWB would be an crime!! ;) The only thing holding that truck back is the 6 cly, and 3 spd....rust free SWB are getting harder to find. I would start at $5500 and see where it goes. Only worth what you are willing to pay!! :exit:

67swb72klb 07-02-2013 05:10 PM

that truck will sell all day long at $7k if it is as clean as you say
looks real nice from the pics

rripp 07-02-2013 05:12 PM

The bed and tailgate alone might go for 3K.

BB72CHEVKT 07-02-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cole (Post 6153827)
Posted via Mobile Device

?????

I think it will fetch 7k but I would start at 5k if it is as nice as it looks.

tony58 07-02-2013 05:21 PM

$3000, give me ten!

6 cyl hurts but it's still a very nice, desireable truck. In So Calif about $6-9K but they might sell a little less in your area, you have to decide what it's worth to YOU!

cdowns 07-02-2013 05:49 PM

i really hate being in the make an offer position

i tell them i cant sell and buy the truck/// i dont like to feel like i am in an auction // if it is for sale tell me the price and i either will buy it or not

i'd start by telling them everything that is wrong no v8 power steering brakes missing ac etc etc and i'd offer them a thousand dollars if that would help them out

flashed 07-02-2013 05:54 PM

In our part of the country you just dont find rust free trucks everyday .

Mister-B 07-02-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfoxwoody (Post 6153798)
I've known about this truck for 10+ years and everybody I've ever asked about it said he would never sell it. I decided to give it a try and ask about it and they said they would sell it but want me to make an offer on it, they know its worth some pretty good money because back when he drove it people tried to buy it all the time and one guy offered $7000 once for it, they kept reminding me of that. Anyway, he bought it brand new and used it as a daily driver, its as solid a truck as I've ever seen in the south, 6 cyl, 3 spd, manual brakes and steering, short bed, no body rust anywhere. The engine was rebuilt once and it needs a battery, tires, seat covered, and a good cleaning but thats about it. What is it worth?

I like it. I'd offer $5,500 and see what they say. You'll have to be careful how you word it. Just because this guy supposedly offered 7K back when the economy was better, doesn't mean that would necessarily transform into writing a check. I think some douches like to throw around money offers that they don't even have, because it gives them some sort of rush or controlling feeling. Just tell them you were hoping to pay $5,500 so you might have some money left to replace the tires, battery, seat cover, and a tune up. It's a kind way of pointing out the flaws, and making an offer at the same time that is less likely to offend
Posted via Mobile Device

Thundarr 07-02-2013 06:07 PM

Lowest end truck that they made at the time and that looks like rust on the firewall behind brake reservoir. If it was parked under a carport most its life, I seriously doubt it has no issues.

I would say consider the value at "fully restored" minus the amount to get it there.

$3k - $4k Max.

Mister-B 07-02-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thundarr (Post 6153920)
Lowest end truck that they made at the time and that looks like rust on the firewall behind brake reservoir. If it was parked under a carport most its life, I seriously doubt it has no issues.

I would say consider the value at "fully restored" minus the amount to get it there.

$3k - $4k Max.

In a lot of ways, being bone stock very basic is cool. Sometimes less can be more. As for the firewall, it's probably just brake fluid that spilled, and ate away the paint. It's probably a simple fix of cleaning it, priming it, and reshooting the firewall with matching paint
Posted via Mobile Device

Square_78 07-02-2013 06:29 PM

Rusted out long bed pieces of crap sell for $3k around here. That truck is worth $7k all day long. But yes $5500 is a nice starting point if it needs tires and some tuning up. I would leave is as is and bag it with some thin white walls. That would be a sweet truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

67OLDSTYLE72 07-02-2013 06:43 PM

here in sw Pa. around Pittsburgh I could get 7 out of that truck with a little cleaning and a seat cover so the offer of 5500.00 wouldn't be such a bad start. Like someone had mentioned above you could turn the bed into 2500.00 w gate and the cab and doors into 3000.00 with out the rest of the truck,Rust free parts are very hard and expensive around this neck of the woods

mgchevyparts 07-02-2013 06:49 PM

$7000 offer was back years and it was drivable then, so now I'd say $4500 to start and then you decide how high you're willing to spend. Keep in mind you'll spend at least $1000 just to make it a driver. I'd start at $4500 and no more then $6000.

Spartan 07-02-2013 06:54 PM

I'll bet there's rust...once you get over how pretty the truck is.
Something about that outer grill...can't put my finger on it...value depends on when you catch the guy and how you approach the deal. I'd say 5k but I'm on a serious budget.
Imho
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 07-02-2013 07:13 PM

I paid $6250 for mine and it has some rust and is a step side... I'd do it again!

sfoxwoody 07-02-2013 07:34 PM

That spot on the firewall is the worst place on the truck, and its just like someone said, brake fluid eat the paint but it could easily be cleaned up! There are no body issues with the truck, I crawled all around and under it, you wouldnt believe how tight the doors shut and with no sag at all. I might offer to put a battery in it and clean it up just to get a better look and feel for it, I'm almost possitive $5000 will buy it, maybe a little less.
If I cant afford it I'll let you guys know, I told them I'd help them sell it if I dont buy it.
And its definitely not a $3000 truck!

m1972m 07-02-2013 07:35 PM

I payed 1700 for mine here in ohio. The frame is clean and solid truck was originally from south Carolina. But the body panels were floppy jeloppy. Its a 4x4 and 350, however the 350 isn't original. I had to put a lot of work in it. And still do. I'm with some of these other northern guys. A clean truck around here would go for no less than 5k. To some all original 6cyl and 3 speed is great. I think its cool, and would appreciate it all restored or just someone driving it, however to me the 6cyl and 3 speed is boaring. So I give it up 5k tops. But the question is how bad do you really want that particular one. Lol enjoy your decision, I'm sure in the end you'll be happy.

Thundarr 07-02-2013 07:50 PM

Sounds like you know what you are doing but just need some excuses to talk the guy down.

Good luck with truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

D.PASSMORE 07-02-2013 07:58 PM

Looking at the pictures - 4K would be top dollar. If it was in front of me and I could look, tap, poke a little and craw under it. Value the drive train for wear and tear. If it is as sweet as you describe - $6K to 8K. And remember, if you buy it as driver and leave it parked in the drive way. It will probably rust up real good in two years.

sfoxwoody 07-02-2013 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The bed

CC69Rat 07-03-2013 08:22 AM

Tell me where it is, .. I'll tell you what it's worth :metal: (kidding)

I agree, $5,500 - $6,500 if the title is clean and everything. The bed and tailgate alone are worth $1500+ It looks like it has the early housing in it too!

Anything under $3,000 offer = Serious insult IMO. Lower than that = :uhm:

Question though - Wouldn't a Custom have chrome around the windshield trim, side marker lights would be different, etc. ? I think it's a base truck with upper / lower trim. What does the interior look like?

Rochlow 07-03-2013 11:26 AM

That truck would fetch $7000 all day long in this area, probably more. The 3k-4k trucks in the northeast are usually a rotted out mess.