The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Welcome Area (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Newbie to site Rodded C30 Flatbed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=407569)

RUSHNBOBO 06-14-2010 10:23 PM

Newbie to site Rodded C30 Flatbed

5 Attachment(s)
My '68 C30,

-shortened and narrowed original flatbed oak w/ polished diamond plate trim
-400 h.p. small block
-Eaton rear 4:56
-TCI super street fighter trans
-Cal-Tracs traction drag bars

Schwinn68 06-14-2010 11:05 PM

Re: Newbie to site Rodded C30 Flatbed

wow! slick truck for sure

too much stuff 06-15-2010 10:36 AM

Very nice. Interior pics?
Welcome, Eric

RUSHNBOBO 06-15-2010 06:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some interior pics

Also pics of the Garden Valley Classic car and truck show last fall, won 1st. place Best Costom Truck

too much stuff 06-15-2010 09:16 PM

I like it. So the way this truck is set up with the engine, shifter, shift light etc.. is this something you have raced before? Looks like a sleeper to me...

tcb-1 06-15-2010 09:23 PM

wow! I reeeeeally like your rig! unique and built for speed!!!! members "joesjunk" and "slomotion" have well built flatbeds as well.

welcome aboard from Shawnee, KS. Glad to have you here.

Dieselwrencher 06-15-2010 09:26 PM

Very nice truck and welcome to the board from Iowa!

RUSHNBOBO 06-15-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 4032670)
I like it. So the way this truck is set up with the engine, shifter, shift light etc.. is this something you have raced before? Looks like a sleeper to me...

Thanks again for the compliments,

To answer your question "raced before" yes, stop light street racing mainly hopped up turbo diesel trucks. I dont care how much damn torque these diesels put out 600-800 ft lbs. what makes u go fast is horsepower and throttle response/acceleration. I have yet to find a turbo'ed Bully dog diesel that can touch my dually especially off the line. I love pulling up next to these high dollar late model black smokers and blowin their doors off. And there's plenty of them out here in Cali----"The Land of Fruits and Nuts"

Im not sure what it runs 0-60 or 1/4 mile but seat of the pants and the very noticable 1-2 shift barking all 4 rear tires is something i have yet to see in a diesel. Diesel trucks are great at pulling boats and trailers but they can't get over the lack of throttle response and horsepower . At a rolling start my truck at about 5-10 mph if I stomp on it the duals still break loose.

let me see your diesel do that!!!!

I stay away from muscle cars, and there is sum badass cars in NORCAL im giving up too much weight (when it was in full work truck dress it weighed in right at 5000 lbs.) as it sits now im probably around 4400 but with 4:56 gears it pulls hard up to 100 mph.

Jerry Jones 06-16-2010 07:50 PM

That is sweet! Welcome from Northern California!

Dieselwrencher 06-16-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUSHNBOBO (Post 4032816)
To answer your question "raced before" yes, stop light street racing mainly hopped up turbo diesel trucks. I dont care how much damn torque these diesels put out 600-800 ft lbs. what makes u go fast is horsepower and throttle response/acceleration. I have yet to find a turbo'ed Bully dog diesel that can touch my dually especially off the line. I love pulling up next to these high dollar late model black smokers and blowin their doors off. And there's plenty of them out here in Cali----"The Land of Fruits and Nuts"

Im not sure what it runs 0-60 or 1/4 mile but seat of the pants and the very noticable 1-2 shift barking all 4 rear tires is something i have yet to see in a diesel. Diesel trucks are great at pulling boats and trailers but they can't get over the lack of throttle response and horsepower . At a rolling start my truck at about 5-10 mph if I stomp on it the duals still break loose.

let me see your diesel do that!!!!

I stay away from muscle cars, and there is sum badass cars in NORCAL im giving up too much weight (when it was in full work truck dress it weighed in right at 5000 lbs.) as it sits now im probably around 4400 but with 4:56 gears it pulls hard up to 100 mph.

Um, yes you have a nice truck, but I'm guessing you haven't found the diesels with real power. My 05 with a smarty programmer runs low 14's in the quarter at 8200lbs. I have customer trucks that run in the 11's and are street trucks. I'm sure your truck is fast with 400hp, but it isn't hard to get 400hp out of a newer diesel. Go find a duramax guy that has efi live and let me know how that race goes. :lol: Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk or discredit you. My little brother is in SoCal and he is telling me all the time there are all those punks out blowing smoke making all the other diesel owners look like crap. I'm guessing those are just air heads and punks? :lol:

too much stuff 06-16-2010 10:57 PM

Just a quick little diesel story here. I was at a job site in april, and the homeowner had his leg in a cast. He knew i was into vehicles and asked if i could move his truck out of the garage because it was awkward for him to get in and out of. "No problem" i said. I knew some thing was up when i opened the drivers door and it had a swing out arm for the roll cage. Gauges all over the place, pretty sweet. Huge chrome stacks coming up from the inside of the box around the cage and of course a big bottle of NOS bolted in place. For the kicker, this is a 4 door dodge full size, early 2000s for the vintage, all black and 4X4. Runs low 11s right now but should be faster once the computer and NOS get figured out. Don't quote me, but i want to say 700 ish HP and around 1100 pounds of torque. It was quite impressive. If there wasn't mud and snow yet, i think i could have put a few miles on it for him.

7T2 06-17-2010 12:11 AM

I'm still trying to figure out how your rear suspension is able to travel up and down. Is there more clearance there than it looks like?

RUSHNBOBO 06-17-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4034528)
Um, yes you have a nice truck, but I'm guessing you haven't found the diesels with real power. My 05 with a smarty programmer runs low 14's in the quarter at 8200lbs. I have customer trucks that run in the 11's and are street trucks. I'm sure your truck is fast with 400hp, but it isn't hard to get 400hp out of a newer diesel. Go find a duramax guy that has efi live and let me know how that race goes. :lol: Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk or discredit you. My little brother is in SoCal and he is telling me all the time there are all those punks out blowing smoke making all the other diesel owners look like crap. I'm guessing those are just air heads and punks? :lol:

Apples and oranges,
I have a "normally" aspirated low dollar motor w/cast iron camel back heads and 10:1 comp on pump gas. I have maybe $2500.00 total in my motor and it will blow the tires off all day long in first unless i pedal it with a tight torque converter and still get squirrly in second.

Don't get me wrong u can put enough cubic dollars into anything and make it go fast!!! I never said that their weren't exotic black smoke spewing diesels out there that I can beat. Ive got (u-tube too)!!

When u can build a diesel from the bottom up for $2500.00 that will keep up with the same amount of money in the gas burner then u got an argument.

For what u have in those 11 sec diesels im building a 572 chev w/nitrous then let me know how that race goes lol...dont get me wrong im not trying to be a jerk or anything.

Ive seen a honda rice burner normally aspirated motor run in the 10 sec.
range but i bet he has 20k in the motor......so what!!!!...20k

Bottom line: dollar for dollar (which is all that really matters in a true comparison) u can go faster in a gas burner than a diesel. Not just your mods but the cost of the entire motor, turbo,waste gate, chips, tuning etc. your well over 10k-12k and thats if u do all the work yourself. and your might be in the 12-13 sec range .....wow. I have a friend that has 12k in his gas burner and runs high 9's low 10's all day on the street.

(nothing says "hot rod" more than black smoke and engine knocking)

When i pull into a gas station or car show or a freakin dairy queen my thumpr cammed small block dually draws a crowd every time. The diesel gets lost in the parking lot with all the other trucks and that annoying knocking sound really gets people exited ..............I digress.....................

marks1972 06-17-2010 10:25 AM

Sweet truck. and i got to agree with you. i actually have both. but all and all my smoker with TWIN Turbos is no match for my basically stock crate 350 off the line.

1ATony 06-17-2010 12:21 PM

welcome to the site.

Dieselwrencher 06-17-2010 07:53 PM

Bobo, I know where you're coming from. Anything can be made to go fast. :lol: If you don't count the price of a truck, you'd be surprised what $2500 will do to some of the newer diesels. Anyway, back to your truck! Did you build your flat bed? i really like how it was done!