The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Engine hoist scare (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=194915)

ratrod67 04-03-2006 09:54 AM

Engine hoist scare

4 Attachment(s)
Had a close call this weekend. I've read it a million times and it holds true. Not all tools are created equal. Trying to install a fresh 454 into a friends car this weekend and kept hearing a weird noise. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I watched the engine and transmission start to lower. I was pretty lucky to get it back on the ground without it dropping. The scary part was it was above the car and I was pushing it into position to lower into the motor bay. I almost killed his car and his motor. The hoist is brand new from PepBoys.

1Ton 04-03-2006 10:08 AM

Re: Engine hoist scare

Wow! I'd be bringing it back for sure. Glad to hear everyone and everything survived.

rodnok1 04-03-2006 10:25 AM

Holy crap!!!

Zumo 04-03-2006 10:27 AM

ooof. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Billla 04-03-2006 10:58 AM

Whew...yeah, they sure need to figure out what the heck happened. Sounds like someone swapped in a thinner wall steel arm. Keep us posted!

I've never used anything other than the Bluebird hoists, but I rent every time.

tnblazerk5 04-03-2006 11:05 AM

man that had to suck and glad nothing or anybody got hurt

bpmcgee 04-03-2006 12:05 PM

Wow, there's no way that engine weighs 3000 lbs! Is the attorney general's office the right one to talk to about defective and dangerous products?

Brian

67chevemall 04-03-2006 12:08 PM

I often lose sleep when thinking about that! And watching it on TV is hard too.......

cdowns 04-03-2006 12:08 PM

the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten

panhandler62 04-03-2006 01:09 PM

There is probably some disclaimer on the product, i.e., "Will not fail unless used" ....

What does a dressed out rat weigh.. uh.. about 650 lbs or so? I've never yanked a big block but I've dropped in plenty of small blocks using rigs that look a lot less capable than that one appears.

Any load bearing tool should have at a minimum a 50% failure margin.

67sub 04-03-2006 01:15 PM

That worries me - I've got the same exact hoist and will be using it for the first time before months end. I'll start praying now. Thanks for the heads up. - Curtis

sneakysnake 04-03-2006 02:52 PM

That thing looks broke and dangerous,you should give it to me.LOL ;)

Bishops Trucks 04-03-2006 03:12 PM

I'm in the same boat. I have one of those Pep Boy hoists and a bigblock to put in my truck. I think I am going to buy some plate steel and reinforce mine before I start. I'm glad to here nobody got hurt and nothing got destroyed.

bpmcgee 04-03-2006 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhandler62
There is probably some disclaimer on the product, i.e., "Will not fail unless used" ....

What does a dressed out rat weigh.. uh.. about 650 lbs or so? I've never yanked a big block but I've dropped in plenty of small blocks using rigs that look a lot less capable than that one appears.

Any load bearing tool should have at a minimum a 50% failure margin.

Pan, you're right about the Small Block. Big Blocks are more, of course, but only around 1K -- add another 500 lbs (!!!) for the trans, and you're still at only 3/4 of a ton -- 1/2 what that lift was set for.

Brian

Zumo 04-03-2006 03:30 PM

What is the brand?

Fred T 04-03-2006 03:41 PM

I told you not to try putting in that 600 hp Cat diesel. :dohh: It weighs almost as much as your truck. :lol:

toddtheodd 04-03-2006 04:05 PM

That's nuts!
I bought my hoist at Autozone, on a price match for what Pepboys was selling theirs for, and I haven't had a lick of trouble out of mine, even when I was being stupid.
I had to change the motor mounts on my 72, so I had the engine stands underneath of it, and was using the hoist to pull the motor up. Well, after I was done, I was tired and didn't feel like using the floor jack on both sides to get the jackstands out, so I just wrapped the chain around the frame and used the hoist to lift the entire front of the truck. Picked that truck up like it was nothing. :metal:
Toad

LUV2XCLR8 04-03-2006 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmcgee
Wow, there's no way that engine weighs 3000 lbs!

That's the first thing I looked at also :eek:

71SWBChevy 04-03-2006 06:55 PM

Man that is pretty scary, this is a good reason I don't scimp on tool cost, its not worth a few bucks to risk life and limb each time you use that budget tool. Sure some cheap tools are still pretty good and looking at that hoist it looks pretty sturdy but that is just scary.

ratrod67 04-03-2006 07:01 PM

Well, I have an update. I took it by PepBoys today and according to the manager it looks like "customer misuse". I did get the corperate office number though:rolleyes: We will see what happens.

rodnok1 04-03-2006 07:34 PM

If it was customer abuse you prob would have bent the legs or sheared the pins off for them. I lifted a 1K load with my boom fully extended before with no problems...other than tweaking the nerves a little. Looks like crappy material/design or weakened by welding.

ChevyCrazy67 04-03-2006 09:46 PM

I think they would have to prove to me that is was customer misuse. A
after all isn't the customer always right. You souldn't have to go through all that crap to get something as obvious as this replaced no matter the quality of the product. I mean wasn't the hoist built to to do just that hoist up heavy loads.

TugOwar 04-03-2006 10:11 PM

I'd say faulty design. I wouldn't think you'd want to weaken the fulcrum point by boring a hole (2 ton hole) that close to it.

FleetsidePaul 04-03-2006 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratrod67
Well, I have an update. I took it by PepBoys today and according to the manager it looks like "customer misuse". I did get the corperate office number though:rolleyes: We will see what happens.

Pep Boys managment training 101

Say the customer broke it..

AKA throw $h*t at the wall and see if it sticks.

Pep Boys manager's quote "go away"

It's just wrong...

I'll never go there again. if this is how they treat customers

I hope Manny, Moe and Jack are rolling over in their graves

cdowns 04-03-2006 10:31 PM

if you paid for it with a credit card you could try going thru them for a refund